Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Women's World Cup 2023

First game I've been able to watch for a week.

Jamaica's spoiling is working. Colombians getting lots of rolling around practice. Caicedo kept out of things.

Feels like one piece of quality will win it. Not happened yet!

So this winner of this is England's next opponent. I don't think they'll be particularly concerned observing this shitshow.

So this winner of this is England's next opponent. I don't think they'll be particularly concerned observing this shitshow.
Jamaica did well to cancel out Colombia's attacking threat up to the goal, then it all opened up and was a good game.

Colombia are a very good side. They have skill up front and some muscle in midfield. Looked vulnerable to crosses into the box, though. Both sides have attacking threat, but England will be missing Lauren James. Think it should be a good game.

England Vs Colombia will be a good game. Another team that will look to out do us physically with their endless running. Luckily they aren't as physically big as Nigeria.

England have to face facts and go back to the system they used against China. That was the best I've ever seen them play. They've looked pretty ineffective in their other games. I doubt she'll drop Walsh though.

England have to face facts and go back to the system they used against China. That was the best I've ever seen them play. They've looked pretty ineffective in their other games. I doubt she'll drop Walsh though.
Had the surprise factor vs China. I thought Emma Hayes made a very good point that the new young stars like James and Caicedo can't expect the same kind of space in the knock-outs that they enjoyed in the group stages. Other teams will have worked them out.

What's wrong with whistling or booing the opposition team?

If someone has committed foul play, poor sportsmanship, or the ref has made a bad decision, then booing and whistling is totally fine.

But arbitrarily booing and whistling the opposition for no reason other than simply "they're the opposition team" is the sort of braindead tribal behavior which the game could do without.

For me it's up there with professional fouls that commentators nowadays see as a part of the game. Just leave a bad taste.

For me it's up there with professional fouls that commentators nowadays see as a part of the game. Just leave a bad taste.
tbf those have always been part of the game. Hayes is honest enough to admit that she would encourage players to do it. Take the yellow for the team.

If someone has committed foul play, poor sportsmanship, or the ref has made a bad decision, then booing and whistling is totally fine.

But arbitrarily booing and whistling the opposition for no reason other than simply "they're the opposition team" is the sort of braindead tribal behavior which the game could do without.
Laughable comment. The whole fun of supporting a team is daft tribalism. And let's face it, a lot of actual football is tedious as hell, so the only way of brightening it up is booing the other team, taking the piss out of them or if things get really desperate, booing your own team.

Laughable comment. The whole fun of supporting a team is daft tribalism. And let's face it, a lot of actual football is tedious as hell, so the only way of brightening it up is booing the other team, taking the piss out of them or if things get really desperate, booing your own team.

It's all about context. Sure a bit of 'comedy booing' isn't the worst thing ever in the right place, but if it's just jingoistic booing for no reason then it's just moronic.

Yeh lets have the homophobic and racist chanting too :thumbs:
Have you ever been to a football match. Not heard any racist or homophobic chanting in over 10 years, maybe 20.

You get homophobic and racist dickheads shouting abuse from time to time, but that's the sad reality of society generally unfortunately.

I guess there were those chants about people from Yeovil being inbred, but that's pretty close to being fair comment.

Have you ever been to a football match. Not heard any racist or homophobic chanting in over 10 years, maybe 20.

You get homophobic and racist dickheads shouting abuse from time to time, but that's the sad reality of society generally unfortunately.

I guess there were those chants about people from Yeovil being inbred, but that's pretty close to being fair comment.

You're aware that other countries besides England play football right?

Try going to a game in Spain or Italy.

Indeed, I've not been to a match for 30 years. There are grounds abroad where it's commonplace though, and only stopped here because it was stamped out.

Fair enough for you the whole fun in supporting a team is the daft tribalism. I don't really support any particular team, the whole fun for me is seeing attractive, skillful football.

The whole 'ooh isn't the women's game refreshing, you don't get any of that dreadful stuff you get in the men's game' thing can get quite patronising can't it.
On reflection, what a patronising comment :rolleyes:

I don't like seeing footballers pulling jerseys when they've been outplayed, stamping on other players' feet, rolling around pretending that they're injured, calling for players to be booked or sent off and all the other shit that goes on in the professional game. It was refreshing not seeing that stuff in the same way that it's refreshing not seeing it in rugby - either mens' or womens' game. It's a major reason that I prefer watching rugby now. .

I don't like seeing footballers pulling jerseys when they've been outplayed, stamping on other players' feet, rolling around pretending that they're injured, calling for players to be booked or sent off and all the other shit that goes on in the professional game. It was refreshing not seeing that stuff in the same way that it's refreshing not seeing it in rugby - either mens' or womens' game. It's a major reason that I prefer watching rugby now. .
Yeah, we're allowed not to like the boorish win-at-all-costs culture that surrounds certain sports.

Yes for me the whistling shows lack of respect - rugby you sometimes get the message flashed up large "Please respect the kicker" and there's total silence when they take a kick.

Anyway - France do look impressive, shame I enjoyed watching Morocco.

If you're going to object to the suggestion that you (not that I singled you out) are being a bit patronising towards the women's game, maybe it's best not to make a distinction between them and 'the professional game'. That's the whole point really, it's the tone of it not whether any particular example of behaviour is good or not.

Back
Top Bottom