Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Women's World Cup 2023

Now it's all about whether LJ gets a three match ban, or just the one. I don't think it justifies a three match ban.
It's a tricky one.

It certainly doesn't feel like it was intended to do any serious physical harm, but at the same time it was essentially violence, as it had nothing to do with the game and was purely about sticking one on an opposition player (i.e. wasn't just a very badly timed/executed challenge).

Yes, but don't a committee review it before a three match ban is handed down? It was nasty, but not violent imho.
Ha, ok, we've put it in essentially opposite terms! :D

Glad they didn't lose for James really. Had they gone out various newspapers plus the horrors of social media would have given her hell . However she can't really complain if it's a 3 match ban (though1 or 2 probably more appropriate).

Kelly looked too nervous walking up to the spot but instead of folding she took a bit to get hold of herself. How often do players walk up like a bag of nerves and lose themselves.

Glad they didn't lose for James really. Had they gone out various newspapers plus the horrors of social media would have given her hell . However she can't really complain if it's a 3 match ban (though1 or 2 probably more appropriate).
Actually scratch that, it probably was violent conduct. I tend to think of VC as 'something Roy Keane would do' which is setting the bar too high

Mention of how Netherlands and USA finished in their group reminded me: I'm pretty sure FIFA expected USA to win the group, given the k/o times of the respective matches ;) :D
Yuuuup, just noticed that the Netherlands' next match, against Spain, has a k/o much more friendly to North America than Europe: 2am GMT.

Their prev match against RSA was at 3am GMT, and both are the only matches in the knockout stages with a k/o before 8am GMT :D

They marked her out as the one to watch. Stifled and niggled at her all game and she obviously let it get to her eventually Like Beckham she will learn from it and come back with something to prove.
And what she did wasn't actually dangerous - unlike some of the challenges that looked like they were making a back for an opponent trying to head the ball. Fall from height can fuck you up if you land awkwardly.

Not contesting, but who would people consider favourites at this point?

Japan? Spain?
Them, probably. I am tempted to put money on that for one semi & England-Aus for the other. Anyone could win from then on - tho England are probably more likely to beat Australia, which makes them favourites by default.

Them, probably. I am tempted to put money on that for one semi & England-Aus for the other. Anyone could win from then on - tho England are probably more likely to beat Australia, which makes them favourites by default.
Presumably that counterintuitive thing of odds per team at this point (poss. England) v odds at the point of being in the final (Spain or Japan may well be favourites against England.

Saw this on the front page of a paper in the supermarket a minute ago. Will she be on tomorrows front pages?
1691415961573.png

Back
Top Bottom