Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you get vaccinated, assuming a covid vaccine is developed?

Will you get vaccinated, assuming a covid vaccine is developed?

• Total voters

cupid_stunt

Chief seagull hater & farmerbarleymow's nemesis.
Bit shocked by this YouGov poll for the Centre for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH), where only 38% said they "definitely" would and another 31% declared they "probably" would, total 69%.

So, let's see how that compares with urbs.

The survey spoke to 1,663 people in Britain, with 6% saying they definitely wouldn't get vaccinated.

A further 10% said they would "probably not" while another 15% said they did not know, taking the numbers of those who may not get vaccinated against the deadly disease up to almost a third of those surveyed.

A total of 69% were likely to use a vaccine after 38% said they "definitely" would and another 31% declared they "probably" would.

I am hovering a bit between definitely and probably would, being a little concerned with how quick any vaccine is developed, and any possible risks as a result. :hmm:

Oh, fuck it, I'll go with "probably" at the moment, but I may change my vote later.

I'd wouldn't criticize anyone for being a bit wary. The nature of finding a vaccine quickly for something new and still has lots of unknowns means that mistakes could be made. Allied to this that any vaccine in the immediate future is likely not be great but good enough.

For me, though I don't really see any other way out of this. It seems to be tenacious virus which spreads easily given the right conditions. Vaccines and improved treatments seem to be our best bet at the moment, so for this reason I'd take the vaccine. If there is something viable before winter in the UK really begins to bite than that will be good because I am very worried about a UK winter.

Of course I think something like 9 out of 10 who die are elderly and historically vaccines are less effective in older people.... I think there will likely be an onus on us to take the vaccine to save the lives of others. Not an easy sell.

The first vaccine available is unlikely to be a 'perfect' vaccine in terms of either protection offered or side effects. I would do my best to swerve being in the first batch of people vaccinated though if it were necessary for work for instance I'd probably just roll up my sleeve and get on with it.

The reason for me to get vaccinated would be to go out to concerts etc, but if by the time the vaccine arrives those still aren't back to normal, I probably be happy to be in the second half of the queue.

Well we know already that they're not going to be putting this vaccine through all the tests and trials that a vaccine would normally have to go through.

Apart from China skipping phase 3 and going straight to inoculating their army in not sure that is true (yet)

Well we know already that they're not going to be putting this vaccine through all the tests and trials that a vaccine would normally have to go through.

I understood that's not strictly the case. They were running the tests concurrently rather than consecutively to speed the process. And also a large part of the speed is possible due to huge amounts of money being thrown at it all over the world, and the pressure/kudos for those that are first with a successful one. But some bits of the process could be dropped without a safety issue maybe, especially ones nearer the final tests and production end.

I'd wouldn't criticize anyone for being a bit wary. The nature of finding a vaccine quickly for something new and still has lots of unknowns means that mistakes could be made. Allied to this that any vaccine in the immediate future is likely not be great but good enough.

For me, though I don't really see any other way out of this. It seems to be tenacious virus which spreads easily given the right conditions. Vaccines and improved treatments seem to be our best bet at the moment, so for this reason I'd take the vaccine. If there is something viable before winter in the UK really begins to bite than that will be good because I am very worried about a UK winter.

Of course I think something like 9 out of 10 who die are elderly and historically vaccines are less effective in older people.... I think there will likely be an onus on us to take the vaccine to save the lives of others. Not an easy sell.
Pretty much exactly this, with the added bonus that I'm type 2 diabetic, so if I get it I will get it bad /die, so yes, absolutely, I'll get it as soon as I can.

Don't understand why anyone wouldn't, except conspiraloons. There may be side effects, but given a choice of that or death/perma lockdown, a vaccine is the only way out of this.

Pretty much exactly this, with the added bonus that I'm type 2 diabetic, so if I get it I will get it bad /die, so yes, absolutely, I'll get it as soon as I can.

Don't understand why anyone wouldn't, except conspiraloons. There may be side effects, but given a choice of that or death/perma lockdown, a vaccine is the only way out of this.
I'm 67, with about 70% lung capacity. I feel the vaccine risk of death is much smaller than the risk if I catch this fucking plague.

Assuming it's passed all the necessary tests and trials, and there's been no short cutting critical bits of the process, we should consider making it compulsory.

Whilst I'm 100% pro-vaccination I don't agree with making anything compulsory. Mostly on the grounds that it would probably backfire and result in a less successful vaccination programme.

I would happily get the vaccine but I'm likely to be near the back of any sensibly organised queue. It would also depend on the type of vaccine as I'm had medical advice not to get certain vaccines due to prior adverse reactions. Which is another reason I'm against compulsory vaccination. I know it's always going to be 'unless there's a valid medical reason' but that's far too dependent on the whichever person is making that call.

Maybe and definitely not for a few years- I'd want to be aware of glitches and potential side effects first before I made a decision.

Voted 'definitely will', principally for for anti-conspiranoid reasons :mad: (admittedly).

Although I do take the more sensible points about caution as well.

Sasaferrato said:
We appreciate that it may not be 100% effective, but better than nothing.
:)

Obviously I'll keep a an eye on what sensible/informed :hmm: people are saying about developments, on here and elsewhere, but any loons and loon-fed paranoiacs** can just fuck right off up their own idiotic arseholes :rolleyes: ...

.... as I won't tell them except if they pop up on here :D :p ;)

**(I do appreciate that there's been none of those on this thread so far :cool: ).

I would get vaccinated, but I wouldn't be the first one in line.
I think it is dependant on circumstance, if you are young and healthy, then the death risk from the the plague is much smaller, so waiting makes sense.

What is emerging though is that although the risk of death is smaller in the young, long term sequelae may not be. This is a strange disease, we still do not know all the ramifications.

What's actually going to happen is that people will be corralled into getting a vaccine that offers partial protection and has known side effects as soon as something is available. I wouldn't be surprised if collecting benefits became dependant on having it at some point.

What's actually going to happen is that people will be corralled into getting a vaccine that offers partial protection and has known side effects as soon as something is available. I wouldn't be surprised if collecting benefits became dependant on having it at some point.
I'm really conflicted on that. I am 100% pro-vaccination, but not keen on state compulsion.

Vaccines are problematic for me and this puts me in a quandary. I'll explain.

Anti-vax loons piss me off for taking over an issue that is very real for me. I was never anti-vax. In 2008 I spent a year going around the world. I got my jabs. Yellow fever, no problem (apart from the £70 :mad: ). But we'd left it too late for the normal hep jabs. So we had to have that quick course, 3 over about 15 days I think. After the first I all but collapsed in the GP surgery. Horrible experience. But it went away in 20 minutes. Second one was fine. Third one was fine until I went to bed at night and just the faintest movement of my feet on the duvet produced crying agony. This persisted for a few days. Then I got a form of vasculitis. Bad blotches on my legs and feet. As we were going away in a few days to South America my very good doctor said to just leave it rather than offer steroids.

Long story short this set in train events that led to my walking being permanently affected. It took 5 years and endless tests for the hospital to even admit the vaccine probably caused it. Probably? There was no doubt. Things continue to deteriorate to this day. I won't bore you with the rest of the story but that vaccine set in train events that have severely affected my quality of life.

So I'm not anti-vaccine, never have been. But I have had a bad vaccination. And that affects how I think about this one. I've answered 'probably'. My gf, who has seen the way my life has been affected at close quarters can't believe I'd even vote 'probably'. Like I said, a quandary. A big one.

What would you do/how would you feel if you were me?

I'm 67, with about 70% lung capacity. I feel the vaccine risk of death is much smaller than the risk if I catch this fucking plague.
I'm 62 and I'm in excellent health but clearly I am never going to win out against Father Time and I am only going to get deeper into the higher risk group pool with the passing of time.
I'm happy to wait whilst people more at risk than me get it first but I will definitely be joining the queue.
People not getting vaccinated is one of the things that Fauci has stated he's worried about in the USA. There are enough anti-vaxxers and constitutional right nuts to actually undermine herd immunity.

So I'm not anti-vaccine, never have been. But I have had a bad vaccination. And that affects how I think about this one. I've answered 'probably'. My gf, who has seen the way my life has been affected at close quarters can't believe I'd even vote 'probably'. Like I said, a quandary. A big one.

What would you do/how would you feel if you were me?

That's a difficult one, having had that reaction experience, and only you can decide once it's offered to you, weighing up the risk levels at the time.

Back
Top Bottom