Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the lib-dems are shit

The great man speaks:
getimage.aspx

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jul/09/coalition-government-politics-nick-clegg

Grauniad said:
The Lib Dem leader, who says of himself "I am a revolutionary but I am also a pragmatist"

He obviously has a different concept of 'revolutionary' than me.

Apparently today the lib-dems are claiming that their four pre-election pledges have now all been met.

They claimed that in its first 10 weeks the Government had delivered on the Lib-Dems' four election priorities of fairer taxes, cleaning up politics, a fair start for children in life and a green, sustainable economy.

If there's a link for this please post it up.

Untruthworthy cunt!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jul/29/nick-clegg-changed-mind-cuts

Gruaniad said:
Nick Clegg: I changed my mind on spending cuts before general election

Nick Clegg, the Liberal Democrat leader and deputy prime minister, has admitted that he changed his mind about the timing of spending cuts prior to the general election, despite publicly telling the electorate weeks before the poll that early deep cuts would be "economic masochism".

In what was seen as the biggest policy reversal of the coalition negotiations, the Lib Dems abandoned their policy of maintaining the government's economic stimulus through this financial year and backed a tougher Tory plan instead.

Clegg cited calls with Mervyn King, the Bank of England governor, as critical to this decision to back the package of cuts announced by the coalition government after taking office.

In an Observer interview on 6 June, Clegg described his conversation with King on 15 May. "He couldn't have been more emphatic. He said, 'If you don't do this, then because of the deterioration of market conditions it will be even more painful to do it later.'"

But Clegg has now admitted that he had changed his views on the timing of cuts before the general election had even taken place.

The revelations are made in a BBC2 documentary Five Days that changed Britain, broadcast tonight, which outlines the dramatic five days following the inconclusive result of the 6 May general election and the frenzied negotiations over the formation of a new government.

Asked by BBC political editor, Nick Robinson, if he had changed his mind about cuts this year during the five days of negotiations, Clegg said: "I changed my mind earlier than that ... firstly remember between March and the actual general election ... a financial earthquake occurred in on our European doorstep."

Pressed on why he failed to convey this to the electorate prior to them casting their votes, Clegg said: "... to be fair we were all ... reacting to very, very fast-moving economic events."

The deputy premier's admission dovetails with comments made by King yesterday to the Treasury select committee, in which he told MPs that he gave no fresh information to Clegg in a call on 15 May that could have led to him to call for a faster deficit reduction programme than the one outlined by his party during the election campaign.

He said he spoke to Clegg at the request of the new government, five days after the Lib Dem leader announced he was forming a coalition government with David Cameron in which a faster programme of deficit reduction was agreed.

Because they've degraded the concept of civil liberties - that is pro-society collective universal rights - into cover for individualist greed and anti-society motivations, wedging open the door for the powerful to prey on those least able to to fend for themselves and introducing a significant element of social authoritarianism and naked compulsion into the lifes of millions.

You can stick your civil liberties up your arse.

there is a tax avoider in the government, guess who hired him?

Clegg under fire over tax avoidance vow
Financial Times (London, England) - Thursday, August 19, 2010
Author: Barker, Alex ; Pickard, Jim

Abstract: Lib Dem MPs have 'concerns' on Green

Nick Clegg was attacked by his own MPs yesterday after he pledged to crack down on tax avoidance - just days after hiring Sir Philip Green as an efficiency adviser.

Speaking at an event on inequality, the Liberal Democrat leader and deputy premier said: "We are looking at the case for an anti-avoidance rule to ensure that wealthy individuals pay their fair share of tax."

The rhetoric puzzled some of Mr Clegg 's own backbenchers who pointed out that Sir Philip has lived in Monaco, a tax haven, since 1998. In 2005 his company paid a £1.2bn dividend to its direct owner, his wife Tina, who was able to receive it tax-free because she was a Monaco resident.

Tax avoidance is legal. Sir Philip also says he has paid up to £400m of tax on profits in the past five years. But some coalition MPs believe the retail tycoon's flamboyant lifestyle of yachts and extravagant parties makes him an unlikely figure to be involved in austere government cuts.

Andrew George, Lib Dem MP for St Ives, said Sir Philip was talented and experienced, "but I would have thought more useful in terms of advising on tax avoidance rather than deciding on the future job prospects of, particularly, the poorest-paid public servants". Mr George added: "He could be of more use advising the Treasury on how to maximise their revenue."

Mike Hancock, Lib Dem MP for Portsmouth South, said he had "great concerns" about Sir Philip's appointment. "I'm all in favour of anyone who avoids tax to be tackled firmly and I'm surprised that Clegg would want to appoint someone like that to advise him."

Vince Cable, the business secretary, has refused to comment on the appointment of Sir Philip. In opposition Mr Cable said it was "totally unacceptable" that Alex Salmond, Scotland's first minister, had employed Jim McColl, a Monaco-based engineering tycoon, as an adviser.

The role of Sir Philip, whose Arcadia business includes Bhs, Topshop and Dorothy Perkins, is to scrutinise Whitehall spending to find savings before the October 20 spending review.

Mr Clegg 's comments prompted speculation yesterday of a split between the Conservatives and Lib Dems: "The two parties are miles apart on fair taxation," said Alastair Campbell, the former Downing Street spin-doctor.

A spokesman for Mr Clegg declined to comment further last night. The deputy prime minister cited a rise in capital gains tax and the planned assault on tax avoidance as evidence the Lib Dems were pursuing a fairness agenda. He vowed, in his speech, to break Britain's entrenched class structures and "improve people's lives" without resorting to the state handouts preferred by Labour.

In an argument stressing the range of factors holding back children from underprivileged backgrounds, Mr Clegg cited evidence suggesting that engagement of parents was four times more important than socioeconomic background.

I see Samantha Clegg has foregone the private health-care this time:

Mr Clegg will leave his own conference early to deputise for Mr Cameron, whose wife Samantha is due to give birth next month, at a United Nations meeting in New York.

'fun' to see Clegg forced to defend the horrific budget against the think tank claims that it was regressive.

Cleggs argument that is wasnt a fair appraisal of the budget because it didnt take into account getting people off benefits and into work was quite the piece of shit, even by his standards.

Hoe dare they mock, ridicule and intellectually destroy his idea of (and this is a real quote) 'progressive austerity'. He was utterly reliant on IFS figures to attack labour record before the election - now they're a 'partial body.

Progressive austerity lol. In theory I suppose you could have that, but it wouldnt resemble this budget or any aspect of their agenda.

Before the election one of the few bright sides I could think of was that the tories would push things too far and cause all sorts of harm to themselves and perhaps even reenergise the full spectrum of political debate & people power as a result. Its something of a bonus to now see that the Lib Dems will likely get taken down at the same time.

As the honeymoon period for this government comes to an end, its increasingly hard to imagine them going the full 5 year distance without imploding. Hell if they keep up the current level of aggressive ineptitude they might even be lucky to last a year. Wishful thinking Im sure, but hey.

Has anyone got a link to the IFS report? Tried to find it on their website yesterday but failed miserably - although I did find a lot of other interesting stuff. None of the newspaper reports I looked at link to it, as per usual.

Clegg's defence of the Tories in light of this really was disgusting. As if he needed to get any lower.

I'd find it funny, in the way that I thought "they can't get worse so laugh" during the last government, but (at the risk of sounding po-faced) real people are suffering.
I sound like a liberal :(

I'd find it funny, in the way that I thought "they can't get worse so laugh" during the last government, but (at the risk of sounding po-faced) real people are suffering.
I sound like a liberal :(

Quite but I'm determined to at least enjoy the sliver of silver lining

'Cos of course no real people suffered under the last government. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I just can't see the point of slagging off one particular brand. It just panders to the tribal instincts of labour apologists like butchers and progresses the argument not one iota. Yes, the libdems are crap, so what?

I just can't see the point of slagging off one particular brand. It just panders to the tribal instincts of labour apologists like butchers and progresses the argument not one iota. Yes, the libdems are crap, so what?

You're just a typical ponce-anarchist who will end up in the Lib-dems, like Shevek.

I liked it when Clegg criticised the IFS report for not taking into consideration 'future plans', i.e. things that they haven't thought of yet.

I'm going to try that at work during my next appraisal. 'Ah, but you haven't taken into account work I might do later this year.'

so what? So a load of mugs who should know better bought Claggs 'new politics' line and now look like fucking mugs as Bum Face mrk 2 plays good cop for Bum Face mrk 1's bad cop. And his party have fallen in line with it- so long out of power they desided to play the 'stand for nothing but election' game and should be repeatedly called on it. We know the Tories are the bastards party, we know labour have been shit for the last 20 odd years but some dicks still think the lib dems are a third way rather than political whores who haven't tasted this sort of power since they fucked the poor up the arse in the 19th century.

I'm really disappointed with Clegg. When he bounced the Tories into agreeing to the coalition, I really thought he had the measure of Cameron and the Tories. He may well have the measure of Cameron - the jury's still out on that - but he certainly doesn't have the measure of the rest of the Tories. I imagine Cable's enjoying his taste of power as a swansong before toddling off to the Lords.

Back
Top Bottom