Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who will be the next Labour leader?

Who will replace Corbyn?

• Total voters
Burgon will do alright you know. Don't think he'll win but a big chunk of the corbynist left are voting for him, not just the 'cranks'. I'm told he's actually better than he comes across on telly and stuff too. Not that I'd vote for him.

Still wavering on whether to use my vote at all, it makes me feel dirty all of this

Burgon is a crap politician, but everyone I’ve spoken to whose relatives have died under state care have all said that Burgon is the only one who understood the issues and showed that he gave a shit.

He is clearly not cut out for any leadership role, much better as an advocate

Burgon will do alright you know. Don't think he'll win but a big chunk of the corbynist left are voting for him, not just the 'cranks'. I'm told he's actually better than he comes across on telly and stuff too. Not that I'd vote for him.

Still wavering on whether to use my vote at all, it makes me feel dirty all of this

He came to speak to a large stewards meeting at Unite here. He went up in my estimation as a person and for his understanding of the some of the issues raised with him. I agree that a large number of those who believe in one more heave for Corbynism will vote for him. Those who believe the defeat was the solely the fault of the media/the working class/the 'right wing' are also in his camp if the meeting I attended is anything to go by.

The deputy leader is not about leading its about supporting the leader and being of good conscience to speak for the membership which is what Burgon says he will do. I think he'll make a decent stab at it. We do not need another watson who lied on his manifesto and formed the opposition office on day one of his election.

Not every thinks the same way as Watson. The deputy leader has a role in supporting the leader into power not building an empire and I expect most of the current candidates to do this unlike watson. Look at deputies in the past. Watson was a disastrous exception.

But Burgon isn’t the only deputy candidate who is unlikely to go Watson is he? I’m struggling to see the appeal of him as deputy leader

We also have the deputy scottish leadership election. Had the leaflet from Jackie Baillie through my door. Not a single word about my enemy the tories. All about the SNP. The new labour wing still haven't realised the labour vote went to the SNP because they had ambition for the country unlike new labour who treated them as voting fodder. SNP are making mistakes but I doubt a labour government would have made much difference under the continuing austerity cuts which is why we should be fighting the tories first and foremost. Propose a decent programme as an alternative, fight the tories. Sniping at the SNP will not garner many more votes.

I like Burgon's politics. I'm in the party to get my politics voiced. I think he will make a good deputy and voice for the members. The other candidates except for Ian Murray have been not come into my radar as doing anything special. At this moment I'm going one I know and like but I will be checking out the hustings to make my final choice.

I don't know why anyone's bothering giving it much thought tbh. It's going to be Starmer and Rayner regardless of how you vote, so do something more fruitful with your attention.

I don't know why anyone's bothering giving it much thought tbh. It's going to be Starmer and Rayner regardless of how you vote, so do something more fruitful with your attention.
Time for us to predict Starmer's first round victory %?

I'll kick off with 61%

Anyone?

Agree on Rayner. But Starmer? I know he's got the bulk of the PLP and CLP nominations but RLB has got the bulk of the union nominations (I know Starmer has got Unison), Momentum and is anointed by Corby and McDonnell. I'm not sure anyone knows how the membership is likely to vote, despite what YouGov say.

Agree on Rayner. But Starmer? I know he's got the bulk of the PLP and CLP nominations but RLB has got the bulk of the union nominations (I know Starmer has got Unison), Momentum and is anointed by Corby and McDonnell. I'm not sure anyone knows how the membership is likely to vote, despite what YouGov say.
I think Yougov are pretty good on this tbf. My pwn finger in the wind has a load of bellweather leftwingers of my acquaintance who voted Corbyn the last two times going for Starmer too. I'd be amazed if he doesn't win - maybe not first round, but he'll still win, and by a healthy margin IMO.

I think Yougov are pretty good on this tbf. My pwn finger in the wind has a load of bellweather leftwingers of my acquaintance who voted Corbyn the last two times going for Starmer too. I'd be amazed if he doesn't win - maybe not first round, but he'll still win, and by a healthy margin IMO.

RLB's big problem - well, apart from the obvious ones, that she's a terrible candidate and her campaign lacks any energy, was always going to be that Nandy 2nd prefs would go to Sir Kier. But I still don't feel a Starmer surge like you do. We'll see but a Starmer landslide is a depressing af.

I would have thought RLBs problem was that she can’t simultaneously appeal to the headbangers who turn up at her hustings (such as yesterday) and pretty much anyone else

I don’t necessarily think starmer will win, but they both got 5 union nominations each, and going by what people have told me, momentum is split.

Back
Top Bottom