Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is the first serious Labour scandal gonna be?

What is the first serious scandal Keith will preside over

• Total voters
One to keep an eye on

I'm not going to watch it because presumably nobody's ever told him that it would be helpful to work outside politics for a few years before becoming an MP so that you have some sort of perspective in at least one sphere outside politics, or he's ignored them.

Because no matter any other arguments in favour of voting in 22-year-olds, that is an argument that he would probably consider valid if he weren't a 22-year-old who's only ever worked in politics.

ETA: I've watched the video now. If he accepted that there are valid arguments against people his age being involved in politics then he could address them. I personally do not think he should be allowed to be elected because of his lack of life experience, but in the current system he is allowed to be elected, and so are much older people who've also never worked outside politics, so at least he brings something else compared to them.

Representing the specific cohort who were affected by the pandemic is a good thing to focus on. Claiming he's "been renting in the insecure housing sector for quite a while now" is not persuasive for a 22-year-old from a nice home who went to private boarding school and then Cambridge, because that is clearly a lie and it will be picked up on. There has not been enough time for him to have "spent some time in the insecure housing sector" unless he means visiting friends rather than his own tenancy.

Focusing on the things he's done that are not typical for someone of his age is slightly naive when those things are... being an elected politician.

He does seem like a nice young man. That's another reason he should have been forced to wait before becoming an MP. Parliamentary politics is going to beat every little bit of niceness out of him before it's even had a chance to flower. But that's on the people who put him up for election rather than the many other candidates that would have won in that area.

Last edited:
Fuck sake. Are they getting sucked into this culture war bullshit? Why do they always let the far right determine the pitch on which they play? Have a fucking spine and a bit of basic human decency and rise above this divisive backwards nonsense and start setting the debate agenda on housing, work, cost of living, all the stuff that actually matters. Snowflakes that get upset about gender neutral toilets and pride flags can just piss off and scream at the sea because nobody should be listening to them, let alone giving them a platform or engaging with their insincere and calculated shit stirring.

Trevor Phillips and Laura K tried really hard to find a Labour scandal this morning on breakfast tv. It’s hard after a few days in government, but why would anyone think Labour would behave like the Tories? We got so used to the weekly garbage from the Tories, will we miss it?

I'm not going to watch it because presumably nobody's ever told him that it would be helpful to work outside politics for a few years before becoming an MP so that you have some sort of perspective in at least one sphere outside politics, or he's ignored them.

Because no matter any other arguments in favour of voting in 22-year-olds, that is an argument that he would probably consider valid if he weren't a 22-year-old who's only ever worked in politics.

ETA: I've watched the video now. If he accepted that there are valid arguments against people his age being involved in politics then he could address them. I personally do not think he should be allowed to be elected because of his lack of life experience, but in the current system he is allowed to be elected, and so are much older people who've also never worked outside politics, so at least he brings something else compared to them.

Representing the specific cohort who were affected by the pandemic is a good thing to focus on. Claiming he's "been renting in the insecure housing sector for quite a while now" is not persuasive for a 22-year-old from a nice home who went to private boarding school and then Cambridge, because that is clearly a lie and it will be picked up on. There has not been enough time for him to have "spent some time in the insecure housing sector" unless he means visiting friends rather than his own tenancy.

Focusing on the things he's done that are not typical for someone of his age is slightly naive when those things are... being an elected politician.

He does seem like a nice young man. That's another reason he should have been forced to wait before becoming an MP. Parliamentary politics is going to beat every little bit of niceness out of him before it's even had a chance to flower. But that's on the people who put him up for election rather than the many other candidates that would have won in that area.
I think the BBC guy pointing out the many things this young MP may not have experienced yet, could also be said of some MPs in their 70s. What this young MP has and will have for a few more years yet is youth and an understanding of young people which can be ignored too often.

Bribery and donations; does that include cash for questions?
Second jobs could be an issue, especially if they start lobbying on behalf of that other employer.

Yeah, i don't think all the independents are necessarily left on labour on anything except Gaza tbh. The ones round here were running against LTN traffic measures primarily. The pro Gaza independent only got a handful of votes.
If you're talking about Oxford East:
You mean Brandon; WRP homeless guy?
I get the impression Jabu was neutral on LTN's which may have cost her a few votes.

A Treasury minister is being investigated by Parliament's standards watchdog over a failure to register rental income on a London property.

Tulip Siddiq, Economic Secretary to the Treasury and Labour MP for Hampstead and Highgate, north London, is under investigation for the late registration of interests, according to the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner's website.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: "Tulip will cooperate fully with the Parliamentary Commissioner on Standards on this matter."

Ms Siddiq is the first MP of the new Parliament to be placed under investigation by the Standards Commissioner.

I saw it coming. Probably lots of trans people did bh.
indeed

going to be interesting now that the BMA have called both Cass and the government out...

but it is , as many of us have been saying all along an issue which isa bridgehead in the attack on bodily autonomy which will impact everyone and as we saw with Christian Concern and COnranthe sniffing around 'Keira' Belll one which the US American Religious far right are interested in asan assault on reproductive rights

The balance of probabilities is surely expenses.

Because every MP claims expenses; two thirds of MPs are new and don't know their way around the system; and because the historical data overwhelmingly points that way.

By the way, who is Keith? Am I missing some in-joke here?

The balance of probabilities is surely expenses.

Because every MP claims expenses; two thirds of MPs are new and don't know their way around the system; and because the historical data overwhelmingly points that way.
Yeah, that'll be why they fiddle their expenses... because they're new 😄
Although it might explain why they get caught.

Yeah, that'll be why they fiddle their expenses... because they're new 😄
Although it might explain why they get caught.

If you look closely at the 2009 expenses scandal, many inexperienced MPs were encouraged to submit dodgy claims by the more experienced MPs around them. They were sheltered for a long time in that behaviour by the more experienced MPs, up to and including the Speaker at that time.

If you don't already have it I recommend "No Expenses Spared" by Robert Winnett and Gordon Rayner.

If you look closely at the 2009 expenses scandal, many inexperienced MPs were encouraged to submit dodgy claims by the more experienced MPs around them. They were sheltered for a long time in that behaviour by the more experienced MPs, up to and including the Speaker at that time.

If you don't already have it I recommend "No Expenses Spared" by Robert Winnett and Gordon Rayner.
I've no doubt they were encouraged by long-term corrupt cunts. It's easier to continue to get away with theft when the pesky kids who might otherwise prevent you from continuing to obtain your illicit spoils are party to said thievery. Similarly, I don't think all coppers start out as cunts, but when the whole system is corrupt, you either go with it or get out, and politics is no different.

Another week, another wobble

Labour under fire over second top civil service job

The government is facing questions about a second appointment to a senior civil service role of a person linked to previous donations to the Labour Party. Emily Middleton was named a director general in the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT), where the secretary of state is Peter Kyle. She was previously a partner at consultancy firm Public Digital, which paid for her secondment to Mr Kyle's office in opposition - a donation in kind of more than £65,000. The Tories have described it as a "growing scandal of appointing donors to top civil service jobs".

Back
Top Bottom