Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who will be the next Labour leader?

Who will replace Corbyn?

• Total voters
Traitor? for doing well for himself? Nice use of language.

I don’t have to agree with every labour policy to still think starmer is miles better than what came before.

Starmer being a knight and a QC is much more than just "doing well for himself". He's lodged in the arse of the very beast that throws workers' bodies on the pyre.

So fucking over renters is OK because it's not Corbyn doing it?

Starmer being a knight and a QC is much more than just "doing well for himself". He's lodged in the arse of the very beast that throws workers' bodies on the pyre.

So fucking over renters is OK because it's not Corbyn doing it?
Knighted does services to criminal justice.

working for free to end the death penalty abroad. McLibel.
What a wanker.

As for the rent policy: Labour aren’t even in government and the tories have a majority of 80. Changing the policy isn’t going to pressurise the tories.
Also I’m not sure it's as simple as just saying "cancel the rent". I don’t give a fuck about individual landlords but the knock on effects of a housing price crash could be pretty disastrous. Obviously it'd mean cheaper housing which is good, but it would have all sorts of other effects too. Maybe labour's policy is the wrong one, but i do think it's a lot more complex than some people are making out.

Fair enough point that labour's stance is largely irrelevant but it's what it signals isn't it. Which is the point, starmer's policy intended to signal labour will be a gently reforming but largely business as usual govt.

I guess there's a choice to be made with the whole people who can't afford to pay rent because they've lost their job due to corona situation - you can propose policies that might help tenants, that might shift the balance of power even a tiny bit in the direction of the tenants, who - lets not forget - can't afford to pay the rent on the houses they live in because they've lost their jobs etc. Or, you can suck landlord dick.

And so here we are.

Labour's position isn't irrelevant politically anyway - Surely one of the whole points of being a political party is to propose different ways of doing things to the party in government. Why would you even bother otherwise?

Well yeah I agree, obviously there is fuck all chance of any labour policy being enacted but it matters cos of what it tells you about what a labour govt would be like, and tbf to the last labour leader there is a solid argument that labour's positioning to left of the political comfort zone dragged that comfort zone back a bit, or at least arrested the escalation under the last labour govt and cameron/osborne

there is a solid argument that labour's positioning to left of the political comfort zone dragged that comfort zone back a bit, or at least arrested the escalation under the last labour govt and cameron/osborne
perhaps, but a lot of the reason the argument was dragged back that way is because they nearly won the 2017 general election with a unambiguously left wing manifesto. The current Labour Party, even if they wanted to, just don't pose the same ideological/political threat Corbyn's labour between 2017 - 2019 did.

Well yeah I agree, obviously there is fuck all chance of any labour policy being enacted but it matters cos of what it tells you about what a labour govt would be like, and tbf to the last labour leader there is a solid argument that labour's positioning to left of the political comfort zone dragged that comfort zone back a bit, or at least arrested the escalation under the last labour govt and cameron/osborne

Labour's policy making process is somewhat tortuous....let's see what the general direction looks like after conference.

At the moment the only thing is corona virus, and that's all about Boris's management competence, rather then policy..we will then go straight to a shitty Brexit deal..which is Boris's...if (when) if goes badly, Labour have the advantage of saying "told you so", but that to do about it is policy for conference '21.

The election is a long way away...I'm not sure the Tories will keep Boris that long.

Labour's policy making process is somewhat tortuous....let's see what the general direction looks like after conference.

At the moment the only thing is corona virus, and that's all about Boris's management competence, rather then policy..we will then go straight to a shitty Brexit deal..which is Boris's...if (when) if goes badly, Labour have the advantage of saying "told you so", but that to do about it is policy for conference '21.

The election is a long way away...I'm not sure the Tories will keep Boris that long.
True, but there's so much room for pushing the policy envelope because of c19 , door is opening wide. No sense of purpose from Labour in regard that, other than perhaps complaining about the draft.

A lot can be done now, October is ages away

As for the rent policy: Labour aren’t even in government and the tories have a majority of 80. Changing the policy isn’t going to pressurise the tories.
Also I’m not sure it's as simple as just saying "cancel the rent". I don’t give a fuck about individual landlords but the knock on effects of a housing price crash could be pretty disastrous. Obviously it'd mean cheaper housing which is good, but it would have all sorts of other effects too. Maybe labour's policy is the wrong one, but i do think it's a lot more complex than some people are making out.

This country is living in exceptional times. The normal rules of the economy have been set aside and your concerned about house prices?

Here is Danny Dorling and Sian Berry ( Green party)

by

The no eviction rule is time limited. Landlords can still get possession orders its that they cannot act on them. Chuck people on the street.

Potentially when the no eviction period ends a lot of people suddenly could find themselves evicted.

I know someonne who has been given notice to quit by private landllord. Date to leave is day after the time limited no eviction ends. They arent behind on rent.Its that landlord wants the house back.

This is not complex problem. Landlords have had it easy for decades. Even my New Labour Council wants rent controls back.

Here is example of law ( from a USA democrat) proposed in US:

Its this that Starmer could be proposing as alternative.

It lays out support for private landlords on proviso that they abide by fair rents etc in future or buying the property off the landlord to turn it into social housing.

Last edited:
The no eviction rule is time limited. Landlords can still get possession orders its that they cannot act on them. Chuck people on the street.
and not limited for very long either, many people wont have had their benefits/redundancy/gov support kick in by the time it is due to end! Good piece on todays graun:

If cheaper housing is, as you say, a given from a 'housing price crash'...not sure what you mean other disastrous effects?

Back
Top Bottom