Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who is going to win the 2018/2019 Tory Leadership election?

Who is going to win the 2018/2019 Tory Leadership election?

• Total voters
Rory Stewart seems to have all the lobby hacks & centrist commentators all in a tizz. They love him.

He's doomed to failure then.

What's this about him hanging out in Kew Gardens asking people to talk to him? Saw summat on the Twatters briefly.

He's a friend's MP. She's very involved in a local campaign against cuts to school budgets and has met him a couple of times. She was massively unimpressed by him.

(Went to Eton apparently so knows/understands bugger all about state schools. :rolleyes:)

Reactions: tim
This is a first, isn't it?

Conservative leadership: BBC to host TV debates
The BBC will hold two televised debates with candidates vying to become the next prime minister... ...All the candidates in the race by mid-June will be invited to take part in a hustings event on BBC One. Once the list has been whittled down to the final two, they will go head-to-head in a Question Time special. The last two runners will also be invited to take part in one-on-one interviews with the BBC's Andrew Neil.
Fran Unsworth, director of BBC News and Current Affairs, said: "The decision being made by Conservative Party members will profoundly affect us all, so it feels right that BBC audiences get a chance to see the candidates debate with each other, and that we scrutinise the various policy proposals they will be standing on. Although the final say will fall to Conservative Party members, it's firmly in the public interest for audiences to question and hear from the next potential prime minister."
Is it appropriate that one party (any party) gets this sort of special treatment from the state broadcaster and will it set a precedent?

I find him bizarrely attractive. Which disturbs me quite deeply.

My youngest just texted me the same! She thought him strangely hot, really liked the way he spoke, he seems alright actually, his telly thing on Afghanistan was interesting and there's also footage of him in the HofP talking eloquently on the plight of hedgehogs :thumbs:

This is a first, isn't it?

Conservative leadership: BBC to host TV debates

Is it appropriate that one party (any party) gets this sort of special treatment from the state broadcaster and will it set a precedent?
Would have been cheaper & easier to record it onto a cd and post it to every one of the electorate; save the rest of us from the 14 hour (or whatever it is) PPB for the vermin. After all...we get fuck all say in this matter.

Find the whole thing utterly bizarre. It's all completely fucked, it'll continue to be completely fucked and all these people want to be in charge of it? :confused:

My youngest just texted me the same! She thought him strangely hot, really liked the way he spoke, he seems alright actually, his telly thing on Afghanistan was interesting and there's also footage of him in the HofP talking eloquently on the plight of hedgehogs :thumbs:

Ah hedgehogs!

Someone I know who knows him a bit really rates him. He's supposedly a very good campaigner for his area on some very un-sexy local issues. He's definitely seems more of an interesting person than the rest. (Caveat: Tory scum etc etc etc.)

Last edited:
Someone I know who knows him a bit really rates him. He's supposedly a very good local campaigner for his area on some very un-sexy local issues. He's definitely seems more of an interesting person than the rest. (Caveat: Tory scum etc etc etc.)

Yeah, I've met him a few times at lectures/seminars/think-tanks in the UK - I (at a distance) worked for him in Iraq as well - he's very bright, works hard, open mind and a real thinker, he's good at, and is very aware of the need for, building coalitions and getting different people 'bought into' projects.

He's not a my-way-or-the-highway type character, he has a reasonably sized ego, but he's a clever bloke who has done difficult jobs with dust on his boots, he can be forgiven for thinking he could do a better job than - for example - Chris Grayling or Boris Johnson, but he's no thin skinned toddler.

Back
Top Bottom