Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's Your Current View?

Great shots; love the fair. Always slightly on the edge of going tits - groups of hormone and booze crazed teens; toddlers hopped up on sugar; loads of cash floating about; everybody overexcited.
Always loved the vibe of fair since raving days.. nice to see kids having fun, the rides hyping it all up as drum'n'bass thunders from the speakers :)

Did you have enough time to stride out to the Shipwright's along the sea wall and then back along Fav creek into town? If not, it's a brilliant 1.5 hour walk if you're there again. My maternal great Grandfather was a brick maker (moulder) in the brickfields at Oare.
No, my Dad was in charge of the route, his partner did mention the Shipwrights arms.

On the way there we saw a sign for your namesake :)

Brickfields? Interesting I will need to look into that a bit more.

No, my Dad was in charge of the route, his partner did mention the Shipwrights arms.

On the way there we saw a sign for your namesake :)

Brickfields? Interesting I will need to look into that a bit more.
Ah well, Shipwright's or not, hope you enjoyed Oare and Fav with your Dad and his partner. Oare and it's creek has that brilliant quality of feeling a lot further than 50 miles from London. The brickfields are long gone, (I think they mostly closed in the 1930s), but they were once one of the dominant employers of the area. The field where my Great Grandfather worked was Cremer's and it was located on the Western side of the road out of Fav/Davington towards Oare. The creek at Oare was used as the dock to load the finished bricks onto the Thames barges up to London. I annotated an old 19thC OS map extract for my fam which showed the brickfield:

1728324529523.png

Back
Top Bottom