Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerked turkey breast, rice and peas, okra and tomatoes, green salad.

(All this vitriolic cussing like a bunch of drunken stevadores over... snow peas? Ladies, please... I rarely have to blush this early in the day. Tsk.)

:p

Erm, there's a huge difference between delicately flavoured and bland you know. Tarannau, I'm really starting to think you've just got a really crude palate :p

Yep, I'm offally bad me.

Still, I would like to try one of Sheo's fresh homegrown mange touts though. The air freighted plastic tray versions ain't that exciting, but with Sheo's love and constant manure....

(heh Idaho. I can't win can I? One second and I'm a divisive food snob, the next the defender of the stinking fried chicken masses. I'm an enigma wrapped up in a crispy deep fried coating)

Ach, I could still blind taste the difference between at least 5 fried chicken emporiums around here, tell the provenance of most of the caribbean patties in the area.

Bizarrely the new massive chicken super-restaurant around here serves a huge number of dishes, including some fantastic fish fry curries and homemade samosas.

And what do I get in the 'traditional' institution of chippies around here. A forlorn Peter's pie, dog's cock saveloy and some bought-in pickled eggs? Pish - credit where credit's due.

;)

Ach, I could still blind taste the difference between at least 5 fried chicken emporiums around here, tell the provenance of most of the caribbean patties in the area.

Bizarrely the new massive chicken super-restaurant around here serves a huge number of dishes, including some fantastic fish fry curries and homemade samosas.

And what do I get in the 'traditional' institution of chippies around here. A forlorn Peter's pie, dog's cock saveloy and some bought-in pickled eggs? Pish - credit where credit's due.

;)
Alright, settle a dispute. The chips at the Phoenix - brilliant or crap?

but with Sheo's love and constant manure....

She certainly does produce prodigious amounts. A cottage industry some would say.

(heh Idaho. I can't win can I? One second and I'm a divisive food snob, the next the defender of the stinking fried chicken masses. I'm an enigma wrapped up in a crispy deep fried coating)

Oh - now you want to win do you? It's all me, me, me isn't it? :mad:

;)

Alright, settle a dispute. The chips at the Phoenix - brilliant or crap?

Alright. They didn't blow my socks off either way. To be honest, I can't recall them particularly, although I've almost certainly had them a few times. The bread they use is worth a mention, but it's a good rather than amazing cafe imo.

Alright. They didn't blow my socks off either way. To be honest, I can't recall them particularly, although I've almost certainly had them a few times. The bread they use is worth a mention, but it's a good rather than amazing cafe imo.

Bloody hell, I really like them - good crispy to fluffy ratio. Everyone I've canvassed is a bit meh about them. I agree it's not amazing, (tbh I've never been to a greasy spoon that is), but by my Streatham greasy spoon standards it's the fucking ritz.

To be fair to them they cook stuff well in there generally. It's well run and I can dimly recall the chips being nice but that's it - not as though they're home made or thick cut or anything. Best trad cafe in the area, although I've often a longing for the Cafe on the Hill for the Thai food and Heather's greasy cookstation.

Know what you mean about the crisp to fluff ratio though. Some places just don't care. Somewhere, just somewhere, El Jefe mentioned a cafe in Streatham worth visiting - you could ask him.

To be fair to them they cook stuff well in there generally. It's well run and I can dimly recall the chips being nice but that's it - not as though they're home made or thick cut or anything. Best trad cafe in the area, although I've often a longing for the Cafe on the Hill for the Thai food and Heather's greasy cookstation.

Know what you mean about the crisp to fluff ratio though. Some places just don't care.

I'll be surprised if the chips aren't homemade. I can't see what the big deal is with the Cafe on the Hill. It's pretty standard - the bread and chips aren't as good as in the Phoenix, and nor is the coffee (and that's saying something :hmm:). I've only had breakfasts there though.

Somewhere, just somewhere, El Jefe mentioned a cafe in Streatham worth visiting - you could ask him.

It's probably best that I don't tbh :oops:

It's a fair bit cheaper than the Phoenix though. And it's not every cafe that you get ridiculously hot homemade thai pickles and relishes in either. Used to live very locally to the Hill too and I like going in for a catch up with the genuinely friendly folk in there. They've memories like elephants, scarily so - they keep referring to my gf of over 10 years ago, which can be a little embarrassing sometimes.

Like them both, but there are better places elsewhere if I'm entirely honest. I'm curious about the Phoenix's chips now tho - I may have to go and resample. I've had bubble in there of late

So tonight's dinner started off as a butternut squash risotto with sage. To that I'll add some Phoenix chips, some fried chicken and some of Sheo's well fertilised mange touts.

Blimey. This threads 'gone all P&P' on us. :eek:

I have reported everyone to Mrs Magpie. Twice. She won't stand for this, oh no.

I'm having a beef vindaloo tonight. I've got last night's steak that wants eating up and it, well, looks a bit manky, tbf. Currying it might be the only way forward. Lots of coriander, lots of chilli. Basmati rice.

Should've got some popadoms. I was in Tesco's earlier an' all. :rolleyes:

tonight we wil be having whatever madge wants, i am feelilng generous :D

<guess that means sausages then :hmm:>

Sausages are man food Rollem. I think you should insist on Rehlani cooking.

My earliest memory of my father in the kitchen is of him cooking bangers, or even the occasional pork chop, on Wednesday evenings.

Or course, it's likely that I remember that so clearly because he cooked either of those two meals on Wednesday for about the next 15 years! Good homecooked chips mind.
:D

Ach, I could ......tell the provenance of most of the caribbean patties in the area.

Favourite patties in Brixton?

I only eat the veggie ones, but interested to know.

i used to favour them from a tiny place in that arcade between Boots & Woolworths but the lady's not there any more. Lastr time I got patties for me and the littlun was from one of the stalls by the Rec steps and one was fish :mad:

Favourite patties in Brixton?

I only eat the veggie ones, but interested to know.

i used to favour them from a tiny place in that arcade between Boots & Woolworths but the lady's not there any more. Lastr time I got patties for me and the littlun was from one of the stalls by the Rec steps and one was fish :mad:

My Father's Place on Coldharbour Lane, past the junction with Atlantic Road, opposite the barrier block.

Soooo good.

My Father's Place on Coldharbour Lane, past the junction with Atlantic Road, opposite the barrier block.

Soooo good.

I love them, but he's not always open any more.

BTW it's owned by Larry Lawrence, legendary reggae producer and owner of the Ethnic / Fight labels of the 70's.

Sorry for the derail.

You better be! We'll stand for no derails on this thread! :mad: :mad:

<continues telling NVP about the book she's currently reading.... :D (...still enjoying it too btw NVP! :mad: :p ) >

Here have you got an oven sorted yet ringo! :( :D

Nope, it's getting a bit desperate. Next 4 weekends are taken up by weddings/festivals/getting spazzed too so it's not going to happen until August.

If the littlun can't make Disney Princess fairy cakes again soon I'm in massive trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom