Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it every acceptable to microwave tea.

Do you microwave tea?

• Total voters
I have just been given a box of ceylon tea brought directly from a tea plantation is Sri Lanka.
I was expecting good things; alas it is little better than a fine black powder.
This is what ceylon tea should look like, a decent leaf.
1699347640281.png

I wouldn't brew it using the microwave. That's insanity. But I've never noticed any decline in quality nuking a cold cuppa - if it's gone cold, it's almost certainly already stewed to the point that a spoon will stand in it. Microwaving it isn't any worse. The notion that a fully prepared cup of tea sitting next to me would go cold is nonsense. It's only when I leave it brewing too long that it goes cold.

If I have a cup of tea or coffee gone cold, I add a bit of hot water rather than warming the whole thing.

Just had second cup from a pot of tea made around 8:00am this morning. As long as no milk had been added then it's fine for my solvent addled* sense of smell and subsequently impaired taste buds

*too many years working in flexographic plate makers with below par fume extraction systems

Last edited:
You could boil some water in a saucepan then chuck the teabag in and continue to boil for 5-10 minutes. Should extract most of the flavour. :)

I only voted yes because I thought it meant to reheat it once the tea is already made. gently on low medium power of course.

I feel sick :(

You're a mug amateur. Just boil a little extra water next time, then preheat your mug by filling it halfway with boiling water as soon as the kettle boils. Swish it around in the mug for 10 seconds, then discard the water. Your mug is no longer cold. Immediately chuck in your teabag, sugar to taste and a mugfull of hot water. Agitate with spoon. PROTIP: cover the mug with a coaster while it brews to reduce cooling.
That should go on the Urban tea towel, or Bag For Life.

What happened to the badges? I thought we were having new ones at some point.

You're a mug amateur. Just boil a little extra water next time, then preheat your mug by filling it halfway with boiling water as soon as the kettle boils. Swish it around in the mug for 10 seconds, then discard the water. Your mug is no longer cold. Immediately chuck in your teabag, sugar to taste and a mugfull of hot water. Agitate with spoon. PROTIP: cover the mug with a coaster while it brews to reduce cooling.
sugar on top of the tea bag, before you've added the water? not sure about that.

You do not use a microwave a drink anymore. The answer is in today's paper...

You do not use a microwave a drink anymore. The answer is in today's paper...

I want one. Or at least the cheap knock of that will inevitably follow.

Back
Top Bottom