Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it every acceptable to microwave tea.

Do you microwave tea?

• Total voters
You have a way to go to match ex-England wicketkeeper and all-round odd bloke Jack Russell who managed to get around 100 cups from one bag!
Still going strong and often in our local paper, as he is a hometown boy. Just brought out a series of portraits of old soldiers who served with the Glosters in Korea:
He even touts his tea fetish in this one:

I microwave tea all the time. 1 min for a cold cup of tea gets it to an acceptable temperature.

Fucking moneybags over here throwing perfectly good tea. Must be made of money.

when i visited friends in the USA in the 90s, I was genuinely shocked that they made tea in the microwave. Turns out they don't routinely have kettles! 🤯

Since then, though, I have stopped drinking Proper Tea, and only drink fruit infusions. I use a kettle, and teabags, but I often seem to forget that I have made it, so pop it in the microwave to heat up. It is fine. Sometimes, I have to do it several times, if I am busy. Sometimes, I find a forgotten cup of tea in the microwave.

Hmm - am I getting forgetful in my old age? :)

Look, it's dead simple. Some tea is always better than no tea at all. However good tea is better still. Good tea can only be made using decent loose tea leaves in a brown Rockingham style tea pot and brewed for just over 3 minutes. This is science. A mate of mine did his Chemistry PhD on the subject. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't make crap tea when you can't be arsed to make it properly because some tea is better than no tea at all. Currently I am drinking instant coffee. However it is Douwe Egberts not Nescafe because I have standards.

US domestic power supplies can't actually boil an electric kettle. How they qualify as an advanced nation baffles me.
Is that true? They have coffee machines - do they not use the same amount of power?

now I think about it, people outside of the UK, if they have a kettle at all, do seem to have one that sits on the cooker.

Is that true? They have coffee machines - do they not use the same amount of power?

now I think about it, people outside of the UK, if they have a kettle at all, do seem to have one that sits on the cooker.
I am not a coffee drinker but am guessing you should not use boiling water to make it

I microwave tea all the time. 1 min for a cold cup of tea gets it to an acceptable temperature.

Fucking moneybags over here throwing perfectly good tea. Must be made of money.

I bet you get 3 brews out of one bag too eh.

I am not a coffee drinker but am guessing you should not use boiling water to make it
According to my coffee addicted cordon bleu chef mate, coffee should be made with water that is as close to boiling point as you can get without it actually boiling, apparently because when it starts boiling you begin to de-aerate the water and the volatile chemicals in the coffee that produce the flavour have to oxidise to taste right. Which apparently doesn't apply to instant coffee which he defines as not really coffee anyway.

According to my coffee addicted cordon bleu chef mate, coffee should be made with water that is as close to boiling point as you can get without it actually boiling, apparently because when it starts boiling you begin to de-aerate the water and the volatile chemicals in the coffee that produce the flavour have to oxidise to taste right. Which apparently doesn't apply to instant coffee which he defines as not really coffee anyway.
I think you can get kettles which have settings to allow you to heat up the water to different temperatures depending on whether you want to make proper coffee or tea.

I use a kettle, and teabags, but I often seem to forget that I have made it, so pop it in the microwave to heat up. It is fine. Sometimes, I have to do it several times, if I am busy. Sometimes, I find a forgotten cup of tea in the microwave.

Hmm - am I getting forgetful in my old age? :)
Same here. I'm only 53. :D Quite often go to the microwave and find a half-full mug in there. Will have made oodles of cups of tea in the meantime obvs.

I reheat tea in the microwave but my BASIC DECENT MORALITY prevents me from actually making it in one.

It keeps the water boiling whilst the tea brews. In fact adding water it a cold cup means it isn't boiling anymore, so this way gets you a stronger cup of tea.

You're a mug amateur. Just boil a little extra water next time, then preheat your mug by filling it halfway with boiling water as soon as the kettle boils. Swish it around in the mug for 10 seconds, then discard the water. Your mug is no longer cold. Immediately chuck in your teabag, sugar to taste and a mugfull of hot water. Agitate with spoon. PROTIP: cover the mug with a coaster while it brews to reduce cooling.

Back
Top Bottom