Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mainly eating at this moment wholewheat penne with some salt and pepper, a little cheese, and a dash of balsamic vinegar. I felt like simple food tonight.

Spag bol from the freezer. :cool: I love that I have a freezer full of chilli and spag bol and I can have it whenever I want in 15 minutes. Fucking great. :cool:

Ready meal bombay potatoes and onion bhajies, probably with some rice. On me tod for tea tonight and can't be arsed.

as we speak i'm eatin' chicken tikka masala and saag paneer with fresh boiled white rice

You can get them here too - there's a stall dedicated to chilis in Borough Market - the chipotle is measured 7/10 on the packet. Habaneros are marked 9/10.

How the fuck do you know what we get over here?

Besides, I spent nearly 4 weeks in various parts of the US and never ate a single meal that peeped over the parapet of 'mild' :p and that includes chilli that made a lot of big claims about its hotness.

yea well that is bullshit...you should try some REAL mexican peppers, not that crap you get over there

Bag of ill informed shite. If there's one things brits know about these days it's pepper and spice. A curry is virtually our national dish over here.

Down here in little old London we've got far more of a mix than even old NY city - signigicant Portuguese, West Indian, Asian and African populations, all of whom know how to use a chilli or two. My local shops sell scotch bonnets, bird eyes and slim greens amongst others. Most American food and tastes - particularly given the propensity of eating out - is far blander. Mexican ain't even that good on the heat of their chillis - it's more about the flavour and habaneros tend to be used far more sparingly than, for example, the similarly hot bonnets in West Indian cooking.

And besides, us Brits can even lay claim to the hottest chilli in the world, grown by yokels - the Dorset Naga.

In the summer of 2005, a sample of Dorset Naga was collected and subsequently tested for heat by two laboratories in the USA. The average of the two results, measured in Scoville Heat Units (SHU), was an astounding 923,000 SHU. Confirming the 2005 results, our 2006 crop of Dorset Naga was measured this autumn and came out to be 960,000 SHU. A second test in a different laboratory is still pending.

High as our results were, BBC “Gardeners’ World” has recorded an even higher level. As part of its 2006 programming, the BBC gardening team ran a chilli trial looking at several varieties, including Dorset Naga. Heat levels were tested in a British laboratory and the Dorset Naga came in at almost 1.6 million SHU (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_and_radio/factsheets/pages/46.shtml).

To put these figures in context, up until last year the Guinness world record for the hottest chilli was held by the Red Savina chilli, with a one-time measurement of 577,000 SHU.

I don't really want to get into a competition over who's got the hottest chilis - I was just saying that the dried chipotle I had was hot - maybe not the hottest in the world, but pretty hot and should be used sparingly!

since i am now officially unemployed i'll be eating celery sticks and canned beans for tea tonight :(

takeaway is history...too expensive

I don't really want to get into a competition over who's got the hottest chilis - I was just saying that the dried chipotle I had was hot - maybe not the hottest in the world, but pretty hot and should be used sparingly!

Did you buy the Cool Chile company stuff, the whole (wrinkled looking) morilla Chipotle or whatever they're called?

Can't remember them being particularly devillish if I'm honest, but they add a great flavour.... and your chilli also had a day livening itself and maturing up in the fridge.

I'm suffering a little today - I think I added a few too many peppers into my sag aloo chicken and dahl last night. Bloody lovely, but I feel a little hollow this morning.

Did you buy the Cool Chile company stuff, the whole (wrinkled looking) morilla Chipotle or whatever they're called?

Can't remember them being particularly devillish if I'm honest, but they add a great flavour.... and your chilli also had a day livening itself and maturing up in the fridge.

Yep, the heat was bearable, but I came across a big lump of it that made me cough and the lump of chili ended up in my nasal cavity, so gave me a coughing fit and a streaming nose - still, it was real tasty.

Probably could jerk them, although it's probably more traditional to Escoveitch them, a kind of caribbean pickle approach.

Loads of recipes online - I can't say I've a settled way of cooking escoveitch really.

Yep, the heat was bearable, but I came across a big lump of it that made me cough and the lump of chili ended up in my nasal cavity, so gave me a coughing fit and a streaming nose - still, it was real tasty.

Heh. Remember those things being a bit of a pig to cut up. Think you should soak in lukewarm water and then chop, adding the soaking liquid to your chilli, to make it easier.You buy from Borough Market, or find somewhere closer to home?(crossed fingers)

Tonight and it's the leftover sag aloo chicken curry thing to clear the fridge for us. I'll have to make some more dahl to accompany it, and I think I'll make another attempt at making consistent roti/chapati. I don't recommend those frozen parathas FWIW - cooked them for the first time last night and, whilst they do layer nicely, they tend to let out a fair bit of water and absorb too much grease as a result. Nice enough, but tasted a bit like greasy puff pastry really.

Heh. Remember those things being a bit of a pig to cut up. Think you should soak in lukewarm water and then chop, adding the soaking liquid to your chilli, to make it easier.You buy from Borough Market, or find somewhere closer to home?(crossed fingers)

From Borough, I'm afraid

Cooking for myself! Coooookiiinnngggg for myseeeeeeelllfff! I love cooking for myself.

I have not yet decided what I will cook, but it will involve at least one of the following: seafood, mushrooms, a massive heap of spinach, steak, liver.

OR I might have the boudin blanc I brought back from Paris. Or just a tin of soup. Who knows? Coooookiiinnngggg for myseeeeeeelllfff!

oh sorry OU, I didn't know you have real mexican people in teh UK :oops:

i didn't think they were into temperate climate zones

The habanero on my work windowsill is just starting to flower. Those at home braving it outside not quite there yet though, and considerably smaller.

The seeds are imported from Mexico but the heat of the chilli depends on the growing conditions. Grown indoors in a hot room by the window they're as hot as theyt normally are. Grown outside in the UK they're a bit cooler.

They're all nice though. :cool:

Last night I had slow roast chicken with green beans and saffron couscous at Tagine in Balham. To start we had a meze of hot and cold starters, including some delicious lamb sausages and aubergines with roast peppers. Delicious.

Tonight its canapes and champagne, darling.:)

I failed miserably to make chunky chickpea soup. Instead I had pasta with some jarred sauce chucked on/in, with grated cheese and some black olives.

Think I might do a really fast thai red king prawn curry tonight. Even my miserable tired self can manage that, surely :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom