Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Do you remember sitting in a puddle at Glastonbury, telling everyone who would listen that you were a vegan? Well I do :mad:
Mind you I also remember you confiding in me that everyone had 3 legs.

After two solid days of sausage casserole, albeit one massive pot of chorizo, various bangers, leeks, onions, beans, mushrooms, cabbage, spinach, coriander, extra smoked paprika, it's time for a change. Enjoyed it so much that the planned rest night/rotation didn't happen, shelving the other meal and indulging in the glorious last days of national sausage week.

So it's the delayed options of either a fish pie or chicken, white wine and mushroom with tagiatelli, both fairly easy to prepare. Had a fairly busy weekend processing the couple of kilos of chillies cropped this weekend, making three batches of sauce so far (a Tabasco style number, cho cho and wiri wiri caribbean style and the ridiculously hot nuclear option for this year - moruga scorpions, butch T and 7 pots, pretty much as hot as I could naturally grow and make. Tried a little on crackers as a tester down the pub yesterday and even immature (it get hotter with time), it's quite staggeringly hot. Good flavour too (before it near burns the inside of your mouth out), so pleased with the results. Two more batches and I'll almost be finished for the year.

I actually planned the whole meal around the original idea of "Mmmmm. Savoy cabbage. What meal would fit around a lovely dark green Savoy cabbage?"

there needs to be really really nice potatoes and butter involved... gravy too.
The potatoes were really really nice. A variety called Anya. I didn't do roasties because one meal has to be reheated in the microwave after a shift and that doesn't work at all well for roasties. I didn't do gravy because I was too tied up in the onion sauce. I tried a different method from usual. Normally I sweat the onions in butter and then make a white sauce around them iyswim. This time I simmered them in milk and then added cornflour in a bit of milk when they were done. The actually wet bit of sauce was more oniony but a bit curdled so I''l go back to my original method.

Do you remember sitting in a puddle at Glastonbury, telling everyone who would listen that you were a vegan? Well I do :mad:
Mind you I also remember you confiding in me that everyone had 3 legs.
:D
I was a vegan for a week or so. :oops:

Not as embarrassing as the time I went for christmas dinner with my neighbour's friends. I'd gone back veggie a few weeks before and they made a huge effort to make a nut roast and ensure my roasties didn't get anywhere near the roasties done in goose fat.
The dinner was late being served by which time I was pissed. When they passed the food round for second helpings I was already tucking into the turkey before someone reminded me that I was veggie :oops:

I made a garlicky leek, potato and grain mush... used some chicken stock for the base and added chilli to give it a bit of heat. Sunday noms :)

Caramelised onion sausages, fried with red pepper.
Squash new potatoes with spring onions and cheddar.
Drizzled with a delicate gravy.

NVP said:
Went for cheese on toast in the end. Bit of Worcester sauce, lovely.

Chunky bread or just normal sliced? I love a toasted cheese sarnie myself and normally prefer a decent loaf cut into doorsteps. Just with cheese on toast I generally go for a sliced white loaf.

The potatoes were really really nice. A variety called Anya. I didn't do roasties because one meal has to be reheated in the microwave after a shift and that doesn't work at all well for roasties. I didn't do gravy because I was too tied up in the onion sauce. I tried a different method from usual. Normally I sweat the onions in butter and then make a white sauce around them iyswim. This time I simmered them in milk and then added cornflour in a bit of milk when they were done. The actually wet bit of sauce was more oniony but a bit curdled so I''l go back to my original method.

I've got Anya potatoes, too! Cooking them with some broccoli, carrots and leeks at the moment. To be served with chicken and mushroom gravy.

veggie sausages with worcester sauce, roasted garlic, carrot and pepper and stir fried mushrooms, broccoli and leaks. And ALOT of wine :D I'm quite nicely drunk right now, which is very nice for Sunday night because it means i'm incapapble of worrying/stressing/feeling miserable about the week ahead :cool: Hurray for sunday drinking :D

Back
Top Bottom