Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Doing a load of yellow sticker / smug homegrown batch cooking for the rest of the week and to freeze:
Beef & ale stew bulked out with a load of carrots, neep and yellow split peas
Smoked sea bass, spinach, chard and cauliflower cheese bake
Roast potatoes
And something I'm calling salmonella stew just to offset the smug, got-my-shit-togetherness :hmm::oops: (herby tomatoey lentilly chicken & bacon thing)

Not sure which of those I'll have tonight.

A fat slice of 3 day old parkin, that's been maturing in its foil. Mmm sticky goodness! Obv, with a nice cup of decaff tea.
Ooh great idea, thanks! Gonna do some parkin now while I have the oven on. Edit - mind sharing the recipe you use please sojourner ? I have one written down somewhere not immediately findable and google doesn't throw anything up from sources I automatically trust. Picked one to use tonight that'll be ok either way as I've chucked a fuckton of ABV in it :D but want to do another batch tomorrow that's actually nice.

Last edited:
We’ve a friend flying in this evening so having a Middle Eastern mezze that we can pre prep and throw final bits in oven when she’s through immigration:

Fatouch
Hummus
Roast pomegranate chicken
Smashed new potato
Roast aubergine and cauliflower
Green bean and walnut salad
Sausage rolls (not ME but friends sickly child has requested a delivery)

Tony chocaloney for pudding

The new bread machine arrived today so I might make some bread if I have time

Ooh great idea, thanks! Gonna do some parkin now while I have the oven on. Edit - mind sharing the recipe you use please sojourner ? I have one written down somewhere not immediately findable and google doesn't throw anything up from sources I automatically trust. Picked one to use tonight that'll be ok either way as I've chucked a fuckton of ABV in it :D but want to do another batch tomorrow that's actually nice.
This is the one we use, but there's a buttery eggy one on the BBC too:

For one 2lb loaf cake you need:

100g plain flour
100g olive spread
100g dark brown sugar
100g treacle
100g golden syrup
175ml milk
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp baking powder
100g oats

Melt together the olive spread, syrup, treacle and sugar. Leave to cool for 10-15 mins or until you can comfortably put your hand against the side of the pan.

Meanwhile mix together the dry ingredients. Once the sugar/syrup/fat mix is cool enough mix them together along with the milk. Don’t worry about the batter being very thin! Pour evenly into a 2lb lined loaf tin and bake at gas mark 3 for about 60 mins till risen and cooked. You might need to do it for longer, just test it at 60 mins.

Forgot I had some liver in the fridge, so ended up having that last night along with a faked* potato, and the dregs of miscellaneous green veg tarted up with butter and a handful of peas

*"baked" style but actually microwaved, crisped up in the oven this time because I had it on but don't always bother

Picked at a bit of the salmonella stew later on and I still seem to be alive but I've left it out at (cold) room temp since then :thumbs: Garlic sourdough baguette and smug homegrown salad / foraged weeds to go with it tonight.

Salmonella stew that I ended up not eating last night because I got in and inhaled twelve :oops: butteries in the time it took to make a cup of tea instead. I'll try to remember to leave a note for someone to let yous know if I'm found dead of food poisoning.

Might have to start on the parkin even though I know it'll be better if I give it a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom