Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your favourite conspiracy theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jazzz said:
Oh god I hope it wasn't, that brings back memories of the Paul Daniels Magic Show. :(

I haven't asked what miracles he performed. Maybe he chose not to exercise his powers. One of my ancestors was Rabbi Mordecai Meisl who has a synagogue in Prague named after him, but he wasn't the wunder Rabbi... I'll have to find out who he was.

Maybe he could transform into a lizard at will? :eek:

Did you know they've taken the word "gullible" out of the dictionary?

227.jpg

editor said:
So do you believe in miracles too?

What about alien lizards?
Let's say that I am not going to question my ancestor's ability to perfom miracles too closely. I have already answered your second question in a previous thread.

Jazzz said:
Let's say that I am not going to question my ancestor's ability to perfom miracles too closely. I have already answered your second question in a previous thread.
So is that:

(a) miracles are a load of tosh for the cross-clutching gullible and
(b) alien lizards are the fabrication of a fruit loop with a tenuous grip on reality?

Come along, now, everyone, let's just admit that this line of "discussion" is going to be a blind alley and move on. :)

i love the hoaxed moon landings one, and the one where the iraq war is ova oil,(so true) and where it was the us who crashed a plane into the pentagon so the ppl would think that it was linked to the twin towers,, there are tonnes more, and i love em all.

Here's my faves

1. The identity of Jack the Ripper
2. Alien abductions always end in anal abuse
3. Area forty whatever
4. That the Nazis had a secret bunker where they expreimented with Teslas Mechanical Resonance theory
5. The Chupacabra in Chile (an animal that attacks people in their sleep) is a mutation from chemical engineering
6. Crop Circles
7. Secret Microwave weapons mounted onto Land Rovers as crowd control

Thats enough to keep me going!

Spymaster said:
It all got a bit silly the other day. Posts deleted.

Yeah, it did. Guess we both had a bad day.

I apologise, and I'll delete too.

(cunt)

:cool:

Seeing as there's been much fun to be had on the Bohemian Grove thread, I thought it was time to bump this thread :)

My favourite conspiracy theories (in no particular order, and some I love because of their inherent mystery and some because they are so bizarre you just have to love them) are:

1) Identity of Jack the Ripper
2) The David Kelly affair
3) Foot and mouth disease outbreak of 2001 as government revenge on the farmers for coming out in support of the previous year's fuel strikes
4) The Bohemian Grove stuff (world leaders performing mock human sacrifice in honour of the owl god Molech :D )
5) The Holy Grail is buried beneath Rosslyn Chapel

tobyjug said:
The lunatic on Question time ranting on it was military aircraft crashed into the twin towers as a plot by the Americans to start a war on terrorism takes some beating.

I was supposed to be on question time.

They wouldn`t let me ask a question on the debt based credit creation system because it wasn`t in the news..... :rolleyes:

My "favourite" as in which one I believe is most likely to be true, or my "favourite" as in the most entertaining?

Until you answer this very important question I'm not going to participate ;)

TeeJay said:
What doesn't work like that?

Over the last few years people (typically ex-forces) have been offered vast amounts of money to act as private security guards for contractors in Iraq. The companies that recruit these people are run by ex-forces people and they often recruit their mates and people recommended to them.

"On the ground, a security guard's salary can run to as much as $1,000 a day" http://archive.corporatewatch.org/news/mercenery.htm

To do what? Has anyone seen the video of a soldier/mercenary (i`m pretty sure this one showed US Marines) going "look at that one...bitch.." then he turns and shoots a mother in the head as she walks with her 4 year old child.

The child begins to cry and the soldiers laugh.

Yep....Spreading freedom and democracy....our rulers aren`t evil, we aren`t slaves....there`s no conspiracy....Go back to bed....

btw my favourite one (comedy value) was,

"The Catholic church has been the target of numerous paranoid theories throughout the ages, but the Vatican gives as good as it gets. Its latest idea, that condoms spread Aids through microscopic holes in the latex, has been widely condemned by scientists." :D

Azrael23 said:
To do what? Has anyone seen the video of a soldier/mercenary (i`m pretty sure this one showed US Marines) .
Any chance of you actually being sure of something in a "I've actually bothered to research it" way rather than just posting up vaguely remembered, unsubstantiated rumours?

I`ll see if I can find a link to it.

I think you`ll find I post more links to articles and media than most other posters. Something you`ve already chastised me for oh great editor.

Gimme a break, who are you people to mock? You don`t know me, You don`t even address my sources. :rolleyes:

Azrael23 said:

I think you`ll find I post more links to articles and media than any other poster.
It's all about quality and not quantity, and if you think that the likes of prisonplanet represent some sort of credible, well researched, peer reviewed source I think I'd actually feel sorry for you.

Unless you believe in invisible pods, of course.

Azrael23 said:

I think you`ll find I post more links to articles and media than most other posters. Something you`ve already chastised me for oh great editor.

Gimme a break, who are you people to mock? You don`t know me, You don`t even address my sources. :rolleyes:

On the Bohemian Grove thread yesterday, I gave you a bunch of published journal articles on studies on military personnel that you claimed were classified and you just ignored them.

You don't seem to like it when anyone here produces valid scientific sources that contradict what you say based on internet articles of dubious origin.

If ever someone questions something I say I try to produce an article from a reputable source that backs up my argument. note the use of the word REPUTABLE. :p

equationgirl said:
You don't seem to like it when anyone here produces valid scientific sources that contradict what you say based on internet articles of dubious origin.
I think it's time to play 'tick the box' for Azrael's postings here.

Here's Wikipedia's guide to spotting a conspiracy theorists in full flow:

1. Initiated on the basis of limited, partial or circumstantial evidence;
Conceived in reaction to media reports and images, as opposed to, for example, thorough knowledge of the relevant forensic evidence.
2. Addresses an event or process that has broad historical or emotional impact;
Seeks to interpret a phenomenon which has near-universal interest and emotional significance, a story that may thus be of some compelling interest to a wide audience.
3. Reduces morally complex social phenomena to simple, immoral actions;
Impersonal, institutional processes, especially errors and oversights, interpreted as malign, consciously intended and designed by immoral individuals.
4. Personifies complex social phenomena as powerful individual conspirators;
Related to (3) but distinct from it, deduces the existence of powerful individual conspirators from the 'impossibility' that a chain of events lacked direction by a person.
5. Allots superhuman talents or resources to conspirators;
May require conspirators to possess unique discipline, never to repent, to possess unknown technology, uncommon psychological insight, historical foresight, unlimited resources, etc.
6. Key steps in argument rely on inductive, not deductive reasoning;
Inductive steps are mistaken to bear as much confidence as deductive ones.
7. Appeals to 'common sense';
Common sense steps substitute for the more robust, academically respectable methodologies available for investigating sociological and scientific phenomena.
8. Exhibits well-established logical and methodological fallacies;
Formal and informal logical fallacies are readily identifiable among the key steps of the argument.
9. Is produced and circulated by 'outsiders', often anonymous, and generally lacking peer review;
Story originates with a person who lacks any insider contact or knowledge, and enjoys popularity among persons who lack critical (especially technical) knowledge.
10. Is upheld by persons with demonstrably false conceptions of relevant science;
At least some of the story's believers believe it on the basis of a mistaken grasp of elementary scientific facts.
11. Enjoys zero credibility in expert communities;
Academics and professionals tend to ignore the story, treating it as too frivolous to invest their time and risk their personal authority in disproving.
12. Rebuttals provided by experts are ignored or accommodated through elaborate new twists in the narrative;
When experts do respond to the story with critical new evidence, the conspiracy is elaborated (sometimes to a spectacular degree) to discount the new evidence, often incorporating the rebuttal as a part of the conspiracy.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom