Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

This lovely thing is in the garden at work and I've wondered what kind it is, but nobody there knows and I've been too lazy to look properly into it. Today though, one of the residents asked me straight out what kind of tree is that? and I said I'd find out. So I bring it here, shape plus bark plus leaf detail, it goes bright yellow in autumn .. please what kind of tree is this beauty?

Attachments

• 20230511_130643.jpg
    20230511_130643.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230511_130630.jpg
    20230511_130630.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230511_130622.jpg
    20230511_130622.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 47
This lovely thing is in the garden at work and I've wondered what kind it is, but nobody there knows and I've been too lazy to look properly into it. Today though, one of the residents asked me straight out what kind of tree is that? and I said I'd find out. So I bring it here, shape plus bark plus leaf detail, it goes bright yellow in autumn .. please what kind of tree is this beauty?
looks a bit oaky ? :hmm:
Though the bark looks a bit London Plane ...

I suspect it's something asian, but that's a sheer guess. It has these little round catkin flowers that remind me of clover flowers when they get dry and brown. The leaves are kind of blade shapes with loose wavy edges.

I suspect it's something asian, but that's a sheer guess. It has these little round catkin flowers that remind me of clover flowers when they get dry and brown. The leaves are kind of blade shapes with loose wavy edges.
I think we can safely eliminate the pea family ...
And though they have very diverse leaf shape, pretty well all the oaks have figured bark ...
I suppose it could be some sort of acer ...

I'm not very good with identifying trees but Acer was my first thought - not sure they would have such a thick trunk though?

Some sort of cut-leaved beech I think, possibly this Oak Leaved Beech | Fagus sylvatica 'Quercifolia'
Quite unusual for sure

That looks a likely candidate though the bark is a bit different. It's a shame that page doesn't have a photo of a whole tree! I'm searching..

That's lichen on the bark tho! Otherwise it would be grey and smooth.

I forgot to check that today but I'm 75% sure the patches are part of the bark and not lichen. You can see rings too on the branches, but next week I'll check hands-on and confirm lichen or bark.

The only other thing it is similar to in form is a Zelkova, and there is a cut leaf one, Zelkova × verschaffeltii
But the leaves don't look right.

20230515_125303.jpg Just posting to add a second bark shot to try and show textures more clearly. Also confirms there is lichen on the tree, but it looks different from the bark. Oak-leafed Beech is fine, ppl at work who were curious are satisfied so thankyou Brainaddict ... Myself, I can't shake a feeling we're not quite there yet so updates may follow...

I'm pretty sure it's some sort of hawkweed -hieracium
, but the leaves on the species that grows round here are simple and hairy ...
I didn't realise there were so many plants which were hawk something or other!

Hawkweed
Hawksbit
Hawksbeard

I 'think' it might actually be Rough Hawksbeard (crepis biennis) having looked at a few photos of the flowers and mature leaves.

Although it could also be c. capillaris or c. vesicaria

Anyway, it looks impressive in amongst the self-seeded poppies which are also growing in the veg plot. :D

I've been wondering what this beautiful tree in Lesnes Abbey is. It's far too tall to adequately capture a photo of its wonderful lilac coloured blossom. But the blossom is starting to fall now so button was able to identify a fallen piece via plant life. Apparently it's an Empress Tree.

IMG_20230531_172611.jpg

What's this then? The fence has fallen down to next doors overgrown garden full of brambles but I can see this in amongst:

Attachments

• IMG_20230601_142701.jpg
    IMG_20230601_142701.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230601_142716.jpg
    IMG_20230601_142716.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230601_142706.jpg
    IMG_20230601_142706.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230601_142656.jpg
    IMG_20230601_142656.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4
This has apparently appeared from nowhere in my sister's garden ...
First thought was garlic mustard, but uniformly large rounded leaves - no sign of flowers yet ...
Dog - so no tasting was going to happen...
My other thought was some sort of mallow / hollyhock ...

mysplant.jpg

Last edited:
My first though was garlic mustard too. Not sure if it's too short for that though?

Yes - and some of the leaves get quite pointy - and it's been in flower for ages now - it's literally towering either side on the railway path ...
Mallow seeds seem a bit heavy to have blown there and the leaves don't seem robust or wrinkled enough...
I didn't ask if the heuchera it was with was new - so perhaps it came with that ...

Plus there were mallows coming into bloom now too ...

Back
Top Bottom