Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Doesn't look like the crinkly leaf parsley I'm more familiar with but I know there are different sorts, looks a bit like coriander.
If you don't want to taste it, rub one of the leaves well and see if the smell gives a clue.

Not a plant (yet) but anyone recognise what these seeds might be?

IMG-20230202-WA0003.jpg

Apparently they've been falling out of an office ceiling vent :confused: or bored employee is having a laugh

Are they definitely seeds and not bee or other insect cocoons or droppings of something?

If some rodent is stashing them, where would they obtain so many ...

zbq71J1QqadaBQQDodQ1

Is it a ducted heating system with such a powerful fan that someone could be habitually flicking them into an inlet somewhere ?

Are they definitely seeds and not bee or other insect cocoons or droppings of something?

Hm no definitely seeds I think. Though i didn't want to know what bee poo looked like haha.

I've put the question forwards to OH gentlegreen she manages the building so might have a look next time she's there 🙃

I went to view a house at the weekend and I really liked the garden. Didn't want to take a pic while I was there - thought that would probably be frowned upon so I took a screenshot off Rightmove.

What are these plants in the borders? I really like the massive ferny looking thing at the back and the variously sorta tropical vibe it has going on.

If anyone can help that would be great

Screenshot_2023-02-26-10-43-32-709_com.rightmove.android.jpg

Cordyline on the left I think, phormium back left - maybe some smaller cordylines too - yucca relatives.
I'm rubbish at palms (back right)

Hardy tropical gardening is very popular (my eldest is keen). We can grow a surprising number of tropicalesque plants in our temperate climate. The palm is indeed a phoenix canariensis. - notable for the savage thorns. Takes a good few years putting on girth before the trunk expands upwards, but, along with trachies, chamaerops and jelly palms, they are surprisngly happy in the UK climate. If you buy one, baldrick get the largest you can afford, from a reputable source - they are much hardier after their first 8 years or so.

There are two Phoenix palms in front of Hackney Town Hall, planted in 1989 apparently, they are now very tall!

View attachment 366007
I (very reluctantly) planted one for a customer, in 2003 in my first year as a gardener. It was, by far the most spendy thing I had ever planted (£350), which intimidated me to fuck, so I swathed it in metres of fleece for it's first couple of winters. I found out about the thorns very quickly. It looked surreal but sorta fabulous, in a garden even smaller than mine. Sadly came to a sorry end (customer's continual inappropriate meddling).

I'd advise against tree ferns.
They're somewhat fake and I think my last one will have been lost this winter even though I stuffed the crown with pillow stuffing before it got really cold, it was already ailing.
I lost my others in 2010.
I won't be having any in my new garden.

Last edited:
We've got a tree fern - dicksonia antarctica - which has survived the last couple of winters, mainly because it's in a pot and can be moved into the greenhouse when it gets cold. We should be able to keep it in a pot (albeit a larger one eventually) for another few years so hopefully we can manage not to kill it!

This is why I don't do umbellifers...
Growing in the same places as alexanders ... it's also springing up all over the park, so I'm guessing it isn't hemlock.
Just like trees in the maple family - I struggle to tell them apart...

lacey.jpg

I think the first one is Kerria japonica (Japanese Rose). It's a bit invasive.

Isn't the second one a Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)?
Thanks. :)

Not the jasmine though - I have one of those and it has dinky flowers.
This thing looks like it belongs in a tropical house.

Back
Top Bottom