Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I reckon I spotted a hefty stand of hemlock a few miles from the first - my eye is getting tuned to telling it apart from hogweed and cow parsley...
I'll see if I can get my head around stopping mid-ride to take a a photo..

But I stopped to confirm figwort on the warm-up part of the ride - having passed it multiple times.
I do most of my plant-spotting at 10mph - I'm doing better these days as I actually wear glasses....

.Only the second time I've encountered this plant.

Attachments

• figwort.jpg
    figwort.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 5
  • figwortbuds.jpg
    figwortbuds.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I reckon I spotted a hefty stand of hemlock a few miles from the first - my eye is getting tuned to telling it apart from hogweed and cow parsley...
I'll see if I can get my head around stopping mid-ride to take a a photo..

But I stopped to confirm figwort on the warm-up part of the ride - having passed it multiple times.
I do most of my plant-spotting at 10mph - I'm doing better these days as I actually wear glasses....

.Only the second time I've encountered this plant.
I do my best plant spotting at night, GG. Wearing a headlamp. It was a revelation, although I was pretty used to moonlight gardening and the nightly mollusc hunt, Walking in a heavily planted landscape was a real surprise. The headlamps really illuminate quite a small area while the immediate background is completely blacked out. It gives a tremendous focus on indvidual plants - possible to detect single seedlings which would just vanish into the general mish-mash in daylight. Really emphasises the sharp shadows and clarity of the plant structure.Try it, if you haven't already. Has parallels with spotting at speed because in the vague blur of vegetation, it is the anomalies which stand out.

Last edited:
These leaves caught me by surprise on my cycle ride - apart from the hemlock which I now recognise, it's all common hogweed in flower at the moment but these seem more delicate...
Somehow I remembered not to manhandle these plants to see the lower ones look like normal hogweed.
Flowering at chest height ...

mysteryhogweed.jpg

umbellls.jpg

This is my favourite tree on my walk to and from the station. I have seen the same in one other place but its not that common.

It's beautiful. Blossom comes in spring and is abundant. In autumn the leaves go a lovely reddy colour and in winter it's bare but the branches are pretty on their own.

I want one when I have a garden big enough bit have no idea what to ask for.

This is it with its gorgeous summer leaves 1000012355.jpg

This is my favourite tree on my walk to and from the station. I have seen the same in one other place but its not that common.

It's beautiful. Blossom comes in spring and is abundant. In autumn the leaves go a lovely reddy colour and in winter it's bare but the branches are pretty on their own.

I want one when I have a garden big enough bit have no idea what to ask for.

This is it with its gorgeous summer leaves
Magnolia ,?

Back
Top Bottom