Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I'm thinking now it might just be a well-watered garlic mustard - I spotted some similar leaves in a shady spot on the cycle path and I've never seen butterbur along there ...

Not garlic mustard. petasites looks like a good guess...or possibly ligularia at a stretch
Such a common plant I never thought to check - but garlic mustard is apparently a biennial so will be putting out juvenile leaves until next year - so the new rounded foliage I'm seeing must be either seeds that only just germinated - perhaps even this year's seed ?

1688207559321.jpeg
some kind of houseplant, has survived without water for a couple of months. Anyone got any idea what it is and how to care for it please?

Guitar pic for scale

Callie and everyone

This outdoor plant grows up from under a bush and then runs over the surface with lots of red flowers (2 or 3 cm size) that have now got weird berry things on. Disappears completely in winter.
1690560465092.jpeg

I can't believe I ever bothered sowing canary creeper when there was that !
This year I discovered an amazing fragrant clematis that survived the winter and looked super exotic very early ...
T. speciosum won't grow here as it likes acid soil.

Ah, C. armandii, I was only talking about it to a gardening friend who came over last weekend. We were looking at the sorry state of my honeysuckle in the courtyard and she suggested armandii. Unfortunately, it would suffer the same problems as my honeysuckle with a poor root run and my neighbours' dogs using the other side of the fence as a toilet. :mad:

Last edited:
View attachment 381417
some kind of houseplant, has survived without water for a couple of months. Anyone got any idea what it is and how to care for it please?

Guitar pic for scale
I'd recommend giving it some rain water, in a bowl, let it soak what it wants up for an hr or so then take it out. Now you know what it is you can look up aftercare cos various orchids can be quite different iirc

Not a plant ID, but can anyone explain this weird brown liquid on the pot? I moved it from the table to the window ledge this morning, and it wasn't there. It's only around the upper half of the pot. It's not oily, and does not appear to smell. I suspect it might be coming from the clay of the pot, rather than from the plant.

PHO_20230814_114701.jpg

Edit: aha, found it: cheap clay pots.

Last edited:
I obviously know what it is, but I think I deserve kudos for ID-ing it as I passed at 10mph :)
When I stopped on the way home I wondered if I'd actually wrongly ID'd a deadnettle or an actual nettle.
Doubtless bird-seed - and more than likely transplanted recently or I would have spotted them before ...
It'll be interesting to see how long they survive.
I was careful to be discrete when photographing them

abbaa.jpg

Phallus Impudicus according to Google lens. Stinks and disturbingly enlarged when stuff around it removed.

Back
Top Bottom