Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

IMAG0447.jpg

Any thoughts? It's a smallish tree, basil comes to mind but I don't think it is and I'm not planning to add it to any soups.

Ta :)

I hope this survives long enough to produce flowers or something ...
Growing out of a very calloused fallen silver birch.
Unlike anything growing in the park so it may well have been pooed by a bird...

mysterytree.jpg

20230417_110932.jpg
Any ideas on what this is? It's very leafy and floppy and really prolific. It's cropping up in lots of places, but apart from scattering various seed with abandon last October, I don't think I've planted them.

If its going to flower I'll hang about, but it's getting too cosy to all my recognisable plants. I want to oof it all out, but am wary it's something magnificent. I want it not to be though.

Any ideas on what this is? It's very leafy and floppy and really prolific. It's cropping up in lots of places, but apart from scattering various seed with abandon last October, I don't think I've planted them.

If its going to flower I'll hang about, but it's getting too cosy to all my recognisable plants. I want to oof it all out, but am wary it's something magnificent. I want it not to be though.
Always worth crushing a leaf to see if it's smelly.

Is that all this year's growth ?
I think I can spot flower buds, so you may not have long to wait ...

You could always replant it somewhere else.

Will do - yes is this year's growth and it actually looks quite vigorous so I'm thinking of planting it in the hedge that needs building up if I can find room.

Will do - yes is this year's growth and it actually looks quite vigorous so I'm thinking of planting it in the hedge that needs building up if I can find room.
That was actually aimed at clicker, (I messed up my quoting) but the same applies... yours looks a bit like marjoram or St John's wort ...

Always worth crushing a leaf to see if it's smelly.

Is that all this year's growth ?
I think I can spot flower buds, so you may not have long to wait ...

You could always replant it somewhere else.
The flower buds aren't those mauve bits? They're another 'weed' , but I let that one do its thing because the bees love it. I think you told me it's name this time last year.
Yes it's all this years growth, but there's loads of it. Will crush and smell tomorrow. I know I've scattered loads of poppy and malva seeds. But I'm not normally that successful with that, because cats.

The flower buds aren't those mauve bits? They're another 'weed' , but I let that one do its thing because the bees love it. I think you told me it's name this time last year.
Yes it's all this years growth, but there's loads of it. Will crush and smell tomorrow. I know I've scattered loads of poppy and malva seeds. But I'm not normally that successful with that, because cats.
It looks like it could be a poppy to me, I think

Yes, now you mention it an

Ah yes, poppy seems likely now given the speed of growth... could the buds be from forget-me-nots ?
I can't see any buds unless you mean the purple top left outside the circled bit of the pic? They're out of focus but red dead nettle or a relative is the first thing that springs to mind for those.

I've crushed a bit and no smell. Would be great if it was a poppy. There's a lot growing near the compost bin?
Dead nettle def rings a bell for the purple low ones.

Any takers on the antler shaped leaf ones....no smell, also prolific.
20230419_091836.jpg
20230419_091911.jpg

And either of these? Again no smell.
20230419_092003.jpg
Have a tulip for luck.
20230419_091853.jpg

I've crushed a bit and no smell. Would be great if it was a poppy. There's a lot growing near the compost bin?
Dead nettle def rings a bell for the purple low ones.

Any takers on the antler shaped leaf ones....no smell, also prolific.
View attachment 371246
It's a hardy geranium - latin name some southern US state I think ... so possibly Geranium carolinianum

campanula said this a while back ;-
to YOU !!!

For sure it is a cranesbill, @clicker...but there are quite a few weedy geraniums which look very similar - g,carolinium, g.pusillum, g.molle, g.lucidum, g.pyrenaicum all come to mind...as well as some which are very location specific (such as a couple native to Breckland). Usually like calcareous grasslands...but quite a few are annual urban weeds.. They can be quite tricky to tell apart without a good botanical key (looking at bracts, stipules and so on. Expect small, pinkish/purple flowers.

low purple ones are dead nettle

Last edited:
20230419_092003-jpg.371249
has the large-leaved one got square stems ?
The spindly one I see everywhere - maybe purple toadflax ?

has the large-leaved one got square stems ?
The spindly one I see everywhere - maybe purple toadflax ?
Have googled purple toadflax and you're right, it did bloom like that and was gorgeous, so that's staying then.

Yes, the large one does have really square, soft hairy stems.

I did plant a Hardy geranium, which literally disappeared over night, so hopefully it's back.

Back
Top Bottom