Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Phallus Impudicus according to Google lens. Stinks and disturbingly enlarged when stuff around it removed.
some crazy people eat them before they emerge, but some people are weird...

The Witch's Eggs: Stinkhorn Mushroom – Natural History ...

They have a slightly radish-like and water chestnut taste and texture. According to them, Stinkhorn witch's eggs can be eaten raw or cooked, and remind the chef more of vegetables than mushroom in their flavors.

some crazy people eat them before they emerge, but some people are weird...
Yeh I went on a rabbit hole about them, wondered what stank like shit but then I have a dog so I immediately went looking for dog shit lol. Apparently they can come up in like an hour which explains why I didn't see it before, seeing it visably unsheath itself was rather unexpected.

I tried this on the birdwatching thread...
I had a good look around today - no rose hips, no sorbus, nothing I could imagine producing pips like this ...

mysterypoo.jpg

EDIT:-

holly

Surprised there were so many berries left but the birds are spoiled in that park.

1705248225065.png

Last edited:
sycamore mate

sorry:(

1711887735257.pngdoes look like - assuming six petals when they open properly?

Attachments

• 1711887738029.png
    1711887738029.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Near to that plant, a suspiciously tall and purple umbellifer has appeared high on a bank so not easy for me to get close to it...
There are all sorts popping up along there - I suspect it's been deliberately seeded with various things I haven't seen nearby in the many years I've used that path ...notably teasel...

umbellli.jpg

leafdetail.jpg

I think the leaves might not be sufficiently pan-pinnate ...
apparently there would be 5 levels...

Reasonably close ...

Attachments

• umbell3.jpg
    umbell3.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 5
  • umbell2.jpg
    umbell2.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I still haven't managed to get really close to it to confirm the profile and hairiness of the stem, but I'm 99 percent sure now - and it is indeed blotched with purple rather than solid colour.
It is a very pretty plant in flower.
I may grow it one day.
I once harvested some giant hogweed seeds from the wild and germinated them, but chickened-out ..
I would still not like to get any of the sap on my skin so would set it well back from the path and post reminder notices around it...

hemmmy.jpg

Last edited:
Still nothing like as poisonous as water dropwort (oenanthe crocata) - have both in my woods.
I suppose you have to factor-in the likelihood of people actually wanting to munch on it ... or use it for pea-shooters...
I cycled past some schoolkids playing with nettles quite near there a couple of weeks ago - not sure if they were eating them as a dare...

So, I think this might be an Acer. What do you think?

DSC_2651w.jpg

A tree that I know is an Acer has leaves like that but they are red. Confusing. :)

And, what about this below, I think I should know, thought Chestnut but that can't be right?

DSC_2656w.jpg

So, I think this might be an Acer. What do you think?

View attachment 426817

A tree that I know is an Acer has leaves like that but they are red. Confusing. :)

And, what about this below, I think I should know, thought Chestnut but that can't be right?

View attachment 426818
Off the top of my head I think the second is Beech?

For the first pic, I think that Acer can be green or red - the red I know as Japanese Acer.

Sure someone with better knowledge than me will help :D

Talking of dangerous plants sadly my path thistle is going to have to go before it annoys somebody. YouTube has coincidentally been showing me videos of people in the Southern States weeding their fields and making traditional food from thistles...

IMG_20240529_135224725.jpg

Amazed I got the chestnut partially right. We had a massive one at my childhood home which produced stacks of chestnuts [CONKERS!] every year. I sort of recognised the leaf shape but this one is very small by comparison.

Last edited:
Talking of dangerous plants sadly my path thistle is going to have to go before it annoys somebody. YouTube has coincidentally been showing me videos of people in the Southern States weeding their fields and making traditional food from thistles...

View attachment 426824

All thistles are edible - just make sure it's an actual thistle and not something that looks like a thistle that might be referred to as a thistle in error as a case of mistaken identity.
You just have to eat them carefully because of the spikes - strip them off carefully with a sharp knife, but no part of them is toxic - roots, leaves, flowers, stems - all can be eaten.

Oh, I've got another one, these flowers seem to popping up everywhere in the village, again, anyone got any ideas?

1bbb5.jpg

centranthus ruber - red valerian

It's reputed to smell like cat piss

That's the bugger, thanks for the warning, I'll not try smelling it!

Red Valerian has a reputation for being invasive, but is easily pulled up if it occurs somewhere that it is not wanted. It is loved by bees and butterflies, and by one very special visitor in particular, which seems to prefer this plant above all others.

I knew it was invasive, but it's pretty, so I've given it permission to remain, esp. now I know it's loved by bees, butterflies, and Hummingbird Hawk Moths! In fact I may invite it into the back garden too.

On at least three occasions, people that I know in the UK have told me that they have seen a hummingbird in their garden. I have to tell them that we don’t actually have hummingbirds in the Old World, but what they have seen is no less remarkable – it’s a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, which, with its large size, thrumming wings and zig-zag flight pattern is easily mistaken for a small bird. I have always been a little jealous because in all my wanderings I have never seen a Hummingbird Hawk Moth for myself. Then, a few weeks ago, I finally saw one feeding on Red Valerian in my parents’ garden. I heard the moth before I saw it, a low-pitched buzzing like a giant bee, and just had time to see the blur of copper wings, and to take in the furry body and the long, long tongue before the moth moved on, at speed. Its caterpillar is no less remarkable, and these moths have been seen laying their eggs on Red Valerian as well as feeding on it, so if you see a patch of the plant, have a good look! You can tell a Hummingbird Hawk Moth caterpillar by the distinctive blue and orange spine at the back end.

Oh I love Hummingbird Hawk Moths - we get those round here, at least in areas where the plants they like are available :)

Back
Top Bottom