Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I know what's in these two pots but my mind's gone totally blank when I try to name them and asking here will probably be quicker than trying to google or waiting for it to come back to me :rolleyes:
IMG_20220428_102549.jpg

Coincidentally I bought some sumach powder yesterday - not sure why - doubtless something will appear demanding it - hummus perhaps... :hmm:
I'm intrigued by the whole mango-cashew-pistachio-poison ivy thing ...

I liked this part of the description :D ..

can be a dangerous time for the male, if he is not careful the female might decide to kill him! To avoid this he presents her with a gift of a drop of saliva which, it seems, in the world of scorpion flies, is the equivalent of a bunch of roses or a box of chocolates.

This? It's popped up out of top soil and is bullying the wallflowers....but its now got a furry bloom, I'm thinking poppy or a vegetable?
20220509_115400.jpg

yup, oriental poppy gets my vote ... wait and see how big the flower gets.

e2a - papaver / poppy seeds can lie dormant for quite a long time, only germinating when the soil has been disturbed ...

although I have a couple of perennial oriental poppies in pots, which are just starting to show signs of flower shoots.
currently hidden in the greenhouse, it's gone very windy today.

Last edited:
weeeeelllll, I am not sure I would call lithospermum a borage-y thing myself., gentlegreen..but mostly because it is a tough, but small and delicate wee evergreen shrub...whereas 'borage-y' implies some robust hairy vigour along the likes of cynoglossum, alkanet, anchusa, echiums, even pulmonaria (imo)...whereas lithospermum sits more comfortably alongside omphalodes, mertensia, spring gentians and so on. They may be botanically related though (my garden knowledge is unreliable when it comes to family identification). I have l.diffusum "Grace Ward' in the most neglected bit of my whole garden - languishing, overlooked (apart from bloomtimes) and rarely watered, in an old Belfast sink, with a coupla other tough survivors such as allium senescens. subsp. montanum, nemesia and an unnamed blue salvia greggii. While aubretia, linum campanulata, various campanulas have long succumbed to drought, thuggery, loneliness etc., the lithospermum trundles on, bringing in spring with a most heartbreakingly lovely shade of blue. Everyone should have one tucked away.

Tell me about elm trees!

I saw this today: IMG_20220517_172148037.jpgIMG_20220517_172138809.jpg

Pretty sure that's an elm but I thought they categorically failed to get to any decent size height north of the South downs? And possible south of these days due to Dutch elm disease.

Are these something else or am I misinformed about elms?

campanula ??

These were by the Thames in Chelsea

Yes, they are elms, Callie. Although Dutch Elm disease devastated the English elm (ulmus procera), wych elms (ulmus glabra), as well as various other varieties (such as the white elm (ulmus laevis) in my local graveyard, cork elm, Chinese elm, American elm, can be found in the landscape...as well as a few stray English elms which, because of isolation, missed out on the main wave of DED in the 70s. I think there are websites which track the location of the english elm (I know there is one for black poplar - another almost vanished tree). I am really curious now - is there any chance you can get a better photo of the seeds, as well as the leafe margins. That leaf asymmetry is one of the defining characteristics of elms (as well as those coin-shaped samaras). The Chinese elm is increasing in popularity, as a smaller ornamental tree. I still miss that iconic shape...although limes have filled the gaps to a large extent...even having that impressive stature and outline.

Loads in Brighton, the national elm collection is here. Means there's a lot of sad, dead, debarked stumps about the place too though.

Yes, they are elms, Callie. Although Dutch Elm disease devastated the English elm (ulmus procera), wych elms (ulmus glabra), as well as various other varieties (such as the white elm (ulmus laevis) in my local graveyard, cork elm, Chinese elm, American elm, can be found in the landscape...as well as a few stray English elms which, because of isolation, missed out on the main wave of DED in the 70s. I think there are websites which track the location of the english elm (I know there is one for black poplar - another almost vanished tree). I am really curious now - is there any chance you can get a better photo of the seeds, as well as the leafe margins. That leaf asymmetry is one of the defining characteristics of elms (as well as those coin-shaped samaras). The Chinese elm is increasing in popularity, as a smaller ornamental tree. I still miss that iconic shape...although limes have filled the gaps to a large extent...even having that impressive stature and outline.
I shall wander past again this evening. They look grafted? As the trunk has a very clear demarcation but the base has similar bark to the upper part. They're fairly tall, 20-30ft (although I'm rubbish at height :D)

Back
Top Bottom