Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

If you were nearby I'd offer to dig some up for you. They do have a habit of spreading themselves about a bit in my garden.

To be honest I don't really have a suitable niche at the moment.
I failed with them because I tried to grow them in a container so I could move them about ...

Those so are crocosmia - I have memories of those things going back to the 1960s :)
They're everywhere in Cornwall as two sheds will confirm.
I went on a tour of a tin mine some years ago and they reckoned it was the fault of Tin miners emigrating to South Africa when the tin became unprofitable and bringing corms back with them when they retired back home...

I'll stick them in my garden and see what happens, there's already loads of crocosmia there anyway. Would love to know how those ended up buried a good foot down in a compost heap in a crocosmia-free private garden though!

Another vote for crocosmia here. Be good if it's the Lucifer one. I'm not keen on the orange as it invades very quickly.

I think they are gladioli. The crocosmia seem to makemuch longer chains of corms...whereas I have just dug out a selection of glads and yours are awfully similar.

I used to like crocosmia...and am still very fond of a variety called 'Hellfire' but of late, mine have become impossibly weedy and all revert to a nasty orange/red "Emily Mackenzie' type which is sadly nondescript. Fed up with Lucifer too.

I already looked this up already on lens, but I thought I'd post it up for the satisfaction of those who can identify by eye.
IMG_20220323_150706847_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom