Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Hmm didn't really pay attention to that, it was clear of branches lower down.vthis was from underneath so I think it's from the same tree

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_135430363.jpg
    IMG_20211106_135430363.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211106_135302311.jpg
    IMG_20211106_135302311.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20211106_135353597.jpg
    IMG_20211106_135353597.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211106_135349841.jpg
    IMG_20211106_135349841.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 13
I've tried to email the church but their email address doesn't work :D I mentioned it on a fungi group and they said "it's in god's hands" so yeah, if it falls and crushes the church I guess it what he wanted :eek: I'll try another way to get in contact!
Have a look at the Church "services" board - it might have the details on there, or for the churchwarden.

There was a thing on the news last night about the wildfires in California and they were talking about how giant sequoia's have adapted to deal with fire. One of the adaptations they mentioned was air pockets under the bark (which makes the tree sound hollow).
Interesting, I will try and pop back tomorrow to have another look and speak to someone (looks up) - that church yard was great for fungi :cool:

The tree is a sequoia gigantea, Callie (aka wellingtonia). I have a couple, as well as a dawn redwood (metasequoia glyptostroboides). Would like the coast redwood, but not a hope in dry East Anglia (they need to be bathed in coastal fogs).

Not totally convinced leaf is a London Plane - looks more like a sugar maple (a.saccharum) or a Norway maple (a.platanoides) to me. Also, I think your tree is a metasequoia, gentlegreen. Could be a sempervirens (am not familiar with them at all) but not a sequoia gigantea, I don't think.

As always, caveats re. my often dodgy ID skills on screens

Last edited:
I collected some horse and sweet chestnuts and larch cones today. I'm going to try and grow the trees from seed.

I tried with cherry and oak last year with no joy.

campanula - I'm wondering if those ^^^ needed to be "frosted" before they'll germinate ?

My horse chestnut seedling - planted out about two years ago, seems to have found it's mojo and had grown at least a foot this year ...

Nah, StoneRoad, I have grown loads of conkers with the kids - they just need stuffing in soil and leaving outside. I think you can actually split the seedcoat by carefully nicking it, if you want, but as long as the soil is damp enough for the seedcoat to swell and split naturally, they come up like cress. Same with oak.
For quite a long time, I did assume various seeds (sorbus, mostly) needed a chilling period to break dormancy but it would seem that they really need the acidic environment of a birds digestive system...or, a dose of gibberellic acid. Haven't grown larch though, so probably best to check on a seed germination site (Tom Clothier or Seedsite).
Some seeds are an absolute nightmare - black poplar, for example, which has a viability period of, like, 2 weeks! Or Styrax (double dormancy) -take hardwood cuttings - epicornic ones are the best (those little whips which grow directly out from the bark-y base or trunk ).

Growing trees from seed is quite awe-inspiring, heinous seamus. Have fun.

Last edited:
When I was six I planted a conker and an apple pip, and both grew into decent trees for a few years until we moved house. I was disappointed my satsuma tree never sprouted though.

You can actually buy special pots for trees, gentlegreen , with loads of holes in the sides - theory being that the roots make their way to the sides of the pot, then grow out...at which point, they are naturally 'air-pruned'. Stops them getting rootbound, with spiralling roots. I have a load of these but don't use them myself because they dry out real quick and are only really worthwhile if you have a constant drip irrigation set up. Those deep 5litre rose pots are good though.

Apologies for the poor pic, it’s been cropped to remove some personal, identifying information. I need to trim/prune this bush, but am loath to do anything until I know what it is.

F9864061-7230-435F-9BEC-107AAD9A7C1D.jpeg

Um, I can't actually see what that might be dessiato. My eyes are rubbish. It looks a bit like a slightly neglected box, but could as easily be a hebe, a small leaved euonymous or even an ilex crenata. However, I can say it isn't a conifer but is a broadleaf evergreen shrub and, as such, the best time for pruning is not just yet. Hang on until just before new buds are swelling - around late March/April. I A better identification would really be helpful (you are quite right to hold off the secateurs till then). Incidentally, why do you want to prune it? Always good to have a plan.

Um, I can't actually see what that might be dessiato. My eyes are rubbish. It looks a bit like a slightly neglected box, but could as easily be a hebe, a small leaved euonymous or even an ilex crenata. However, I can say it isn't a conifer but is a broadleaf evergreen shrub and, as such, the best time for pruning is not just yet. Hang on until just before new buds are swelling - around late March/April. I A better identification would really be helpful (you are quite right to hold off the secateurs till then). Incidentally, why do you want to prune it? Always good to have a plan.
Looks like a Hebe. dessiato could you get a closer pic please.

Back
Top Bottom