Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Any ideas on either of these please? They were outside a house with a 'please take me' sign, so I very happily did.
My first vague stab is crassula on the left and sedum on the right, but I'm not a very succulent person :)

You could very quickly make a crazy number of plants from those and if they're hardy, you could have yourself a succlulent-roof for a bike shed or bin shelter :)

EDIT:-

I thought it looked vaguely familiar - it seems crassula and purslane are remotely related - which reminds me I need to buy some seeds for Portulaca oleracea - which is supposed to be tastier than the miner's lettuce I have self-seeding everywhere .. it will eventually form part of my halophile (salt-tolerant) garden ...

Last edited:
Just this week, received a packet of golden purslane, from Premier seeds (99p), gentlegreen . My D-i-L is my go-to succulent expert, so I am a bit rubbish on ID apart from the smaller stonecrop specimen.
Thanks for the pointer campanula - looks like I am about to order more seeds than I should :D

They have an amazing login screen image which I've borrowed for wallpaper - and I found a larger version too ...

veronica-reverse-qYwyRF9u-uo-unsplash.jpg

qlz8nldvwni51.jpg

EDIT :- apparently it's Monet's gardens at Giverny.
I suspect I may go there one day - I'm bound to want to visit Paris and its environs ...

Last edited:
I've got to clear a border which had a load of top soil put on it last autumn, loads of these are growing...the purple ones . Are they nettles?

And there's a frothy white flower, behind the purple ones....is that a weed?

They both look so pretty at the moment, but are doing a bit too well?
20220413_164237.jpg

20220413_164525.jpg

20220413_164223.jpg

Dead nettle or henbit - certainly in the mint family.
The frothy flowers are probably of hairy bitter cress - some say it makes a nice sald, but they probably also think rocket doesn't taste like burnt
In terms of salad, apart from the cleavers, there may be some sort of sow thistle there - but don't eat the annual mercury ...
rubber ...

Aha yes thanks, it does have a look of mint and orchid. I'll keep some then, there's loads. I've also got lots of your bog standard stinging nettles, I've just read they often grow together . I'm oiking those out though.

The sticky one I recognise.

Aha yes thanks, it does have a look of mint and orchid. I'll keep some then, there's loads. I've also got lots of your bog standard stinging nettles, I've just read they often grow together . I'm oiking those out though.

Stinging nettles are regarded by some as the most nutritious greens available.
Also you can make cordage and dye and they're a must in a wildlife garden.

geranium of some kind - "cranesbill" ...

Perhaps it's forrin then ... :hmm:

campanula is your first port of call for an exact ident - though you may need to wait for flowers ...

Bog standard [too] common stinging nettles are the main food plant for the caterpillars of Red Admiral, Peacock and Small Tortishell butterflies - all of which need as much help as they can get at the moment.

If you have any ground available [or pots] at all, make room for some this year, Please.

geranium of some kind - "cranesbill" ...

Perhaps it's forrin then ... :hmm:

campanula is your first port of call for an exact ident - though you may need to wait for flowers ...
No flowers yet, I'd love it to be a cranesbill. Is the little white flowered plant, poking out of it, the bitter cress you mentioned in a previous ' name my weed' post?

For sure it is a cranesbill, clicker...but there are quite a few weedy geraniums which look very similar - g,carolinium, g.pusillum, g.molle, g.lucidum, g.pyrenaicum all come to mind...as well as some which are very location specific (such as a couple native to Breckland). Usually like calcareous grasslands...but quite a few are annual urban weeds.. They can be quite tricky to tell apart without a good botanical key (looking at bracts, stipules and so on. Expect small, pinkish/purple flowers.

For sure it is a cranesbill, clicker...but there are quite a few weedy geraniums which look very similar - g,carolinium, g.pusillum, g.molle, g.lucidum, g.pyrenaicum all come to mind...as well as some which are very location specific (such as a couple native to Breckland). Usually like calcareous grasslands...but quite a few are annual urban weeds.. They can be quite tricky to tell apart without a good botanical key (looking at bracts, stipules and so on. Expect small, pinkish/purple flowers.
I think it's a weedy one, it's filling gaps , so I'll let it bloom. It's all amongst my November panic planting, but I overlooked labelling anything in sub zero temperatures and force 182 gale. Now I'm dithering over what to thin out, incase I pull up my panic plants. Looking forward to some colourful surprises

Re: aphids on roses. I admit to doing bugger all - it is astonishing how the buds can be absolutely stiff with greenfly without doing much damage at all. I might, if sufficiently annoyed, just squish the fuckers by hand...but always end up with green smears on my work pants after wiping my hands on them. However, aphids don't look very nice and leave sticky honeydew everywhere. My eldest is a fervent believer in neem oil but I have had a couple of unfortunate incidents with horticultural oils...but mostly cos I sprayed during hot daylight sun and my plants were literally fried. I also caused a philadelphus to defoliate after a Fairy Green spray, even though I followed the dilution ratios. Since then, I either just use water with a ferocious hosespray (on my broadbeans) and blast the little swine into outer space or I use a horticultural soft soap (Savona) which has no detergent but does suffocate aphids. While aphids rarely do much damage to a rose, various fungal issues can be quite distressing. I do have a beloved rose which is, sadly, a rust magnet so I am afraid to say, I resort to a twice seasonal spray of Roseclear 3 (also prevents blackspot and cercospora). A lot depends on the rose - how resistant to pests and disease they are (and a lot of them are not very) as well as how much leaf-loss or surface disfigurement you are prepared to tolerate. It is a vexatious subject with no clear and unambiguous solutions. I will say that you absolutely don't need to be spraying every coupla weeks (which is what chemical manufacturers would have you believe. One spray before the blooms open and another at the end of summer is usually adequate for the worst fungal problems.

Those succulenty things are various sedums (can never remember exactly which ones) - generally well behaved and easily pulled up if they get out of hand. I would agree with geminisnake and pull the hairy bittercress quicksmart...before they shoot seeds everywhere...although they are only annual weeds. Nothing like couch, bindweed, dock et al.

Back
Top Bottom