Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Not the white peony... What's the plant with orangy flowers and red shoots? They were approx 1.2 to 1.5m high. Taken today.

Thanks.
DSCF0276.JPG

It looks poorly :D

I have a general mistrust of variegation - except in the spider plant and the green-yellow-orange of the bracts of the euphorbia ..

There are loads of diseased elms around my area in Cornwall, too. I got three or four supposedly disease resistant English? Elm from some bloke in Scotland fifteen years ago. One in particular is doing really nicely, only 15ft high or so, so too early to tell but this autumn I'm going to start pruning to get some serious cuttings.

Oh, nice one. Thanks. Found one for sale. Bought it. Arriving on Tuesday. How cool is the modern age...?
Yes I would definitely have that one in my garden but not the other one - looks a bit white Range Rover sporty to me - like those nasty "low maintenance " shrubs ...

O ho, is that a geranium maderense I see there, contadino? Or palmatum? Looks very like one of the huge Canary Island cranesbills to me. They are all popping out now...although to my dismay, my desperately wanted g.nodosum 'Silverwood; is out of stock. Back to the search. I did award myself another sorbus as a substitution though - the dwarf s.reducta. My sorbus collection is up to a dozen or so and in danger of getting out of hand (I actually named my eldest offspring Rowan).

Ho, euphorbias - I was late to the game with these...but did congratulate myself on finally becoming a garden sophisticat when I finally fell under the spurge-y spell (check out e.ceratocarpa...months and months of fabulousness)...and there's also mellifera, pasteurii, polychroma,.. and my favourite for cutting - e.oblongata. Would now never be without them. Am awaiting conversion to bergenias next.

I'd somehow forgotten that ricinus is in the Euphorbiaceae and I appear to be growing at least SIX of them this year ... :facepalm:
But also the sources of cassava and rubber - embarrassingly it seems I still carried the notion that ficus elastica was the source ...
I remembered that there was an unpleasant bio diesel monocrop threat to rain forests that predated the oil palm - but don't remember it being called "Jatropha" - but that's apparently it ....

Oh and damn ... this rabbithole has reminded me of what those pesky geneticists have done to the moraceae and cannabacea and urticaceae

Last edited:
O ho, is that a geranium maderense I see there, contadino? Or palmatum? Looks very like one of the huge Canary Island cranesbills to me. They are all popping out now...although to my dismay, my desperately wanted g.nodosum 'Silverwood; is out of stock. Back to the search. I did award myself another sorbus as a substitution though - the dwarf s.reducta. My sorbus collection is up to a dozen or so and in danger of getting out of hand (I actually named my eldest offspring Rowan).
Sorry. I couldn't tell you. It wasn't my garden - I went to Renishaw Hall garden yesterday. Most plants were labelled other than two that particularly caught my eye. It's a bit like shopping: If there's one thing on the shelves without a barcode it's always what I want.

Lovely garden btw, but ended up being an expensive thing to do. I ended up ordering a wedding cake tree, two euphorbias and a choisya last night, and there's a host of new stuff on my plant wishlist for next year.

I think I must be the only person to dislike geraniums. They're all gradually being replaced in my garden.

or stinky old herb Robert close up ? :D

I confess I leave the odd one growing in my garden when there would otherwise be a vacuum ... especially if they're thriving with no appreciable soil ...

I have the white herb Robert (Celtic white) which I rather like.
Just spent serious money on geranium nodosum 'Silverwood' from the very spendy Burncoose nurseries (although I tagged it on top of a customers order as the delivery charges are eye watering)

My new neighbour has put this out the front - and for some reason I thought "astilbe" - in which case I will probably covet it as I considered it along with my lovely pink filipendula .... but googling suggests the leaves should be serrated ...

mysteryplant.jpg

What is this...about 2 foot high and not fleshy at the bottom like dandelions? But I'm sure I haven't planted it.
20220606_143439.jpg

Laburnum's quite toxic, looks as though Robinia is too. It's very pretty but worth keeping the dogs away from. So many trees and plants are though, it's an ongoing thing. Not on the scale of some of the scary ones!
Both legume/pea family aren't they? I had to chop down a diseased laburnum for a customer. Apparently you can't even burn the wood because of toxicity.

Back
Top Bottom