Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you baking?

Just got some CHEESE scones out the oven (gorgonzola and St Giles, using up the dead ends of cheese and trying to make something bready before Artichoke gets back from France and is raging for food and is angry because there's nothing bready to go with her Covent Garden tomato and basil soup, what I bought earlier).

Then made some FRUIT scones because I couldn't resist.

Then got a malted loaf going.

I reckon I've been making fruit scones every other day for over a fortnight now :D

Cora just made her first chocolate cake. Silly Daddy put it in a 10" cake tin instead of the 7" tin recommended by Margaret Patten. Cake is perfectly cooked and rose, but looks like a pizza :(

Made a coffee and walnut cake. Just an ordinary coffee and walnut cake. Keep craving it but nothing is as good as just a plain home made one. Totally hitting the spot.

i just had a go at diabetic-friendly shortbread.
it wasn't a *total* disaster (that'd be the vegan-and-made-with-xylotol biscuits i tried the other week, which tasted of evil), but it's still Not Right :(

oh, and bread. bread works, thank godness.

i made a banana wallnut and chocolate chip cake earlier. i don't get to eat any of it, but the rate at which the kids demoloshed it would suggest that it tasted pretty good

My daughter and her bezzer made these last week...
uploadfromtaptalk1330292682566.jpg

Iced lemon fairy cakes (her pal did simple and stylish, whilst my girl was a bit heavy handed with the decorations :hmm: )

Chocolate marquise, after seeing it catastrophised on NZ masterchef (Artichoke was drooling at the tv).

For the first time in decades, I couldn't stop licking the bowl.

43cf6ee2.jpg

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/recipe/chocolate-marquise/1779

Who'd've thought that nothing more than egg yolk, double cream, caster sugar, butter, cocoa and dark chocolate could taste THAT good? :D

I made a pineapple upside down cake for my mom's birthday.
I wish I'd remembered to take some home. :( it was good.

Last night: bagels, from Huge Meatface-Eatitall's book of bread. Bloody marvellous. And it's great fun boiling bread :D

This morning: honey and spelt loaf. First time I've pulled it off, largely because I didn't use the bread machine this time (and could make a flatter loaf).

And the most utterly upfucked attempt at meringue, ever :D

meringues! first time i've tried to make meringues - they're cooling in the oven now. I just needed to do something with the egg whites left over from making mayonnaise :cool:

Oh, I thought I might've killed it a bit, and my life-giving measures slaughtered it beyond redemption. 0.5mm high :D
I meant specifically, "what did you do to ruin it that badly"? Still, sugar & egg white usually tastes good, even if the texture's not what you intended. :cool:

We've been making lots of bread since we got our breadmaker a couple of months ago, recently we've beeen experimenting with different flours and recipes.
We got some stoneground flour from a tide mill the other day and the bread made from that is delicious.

The recipe on the side of the bag includes dried skimmed milk powder, it tastes great, but I'm not sure what the skimmed milk is supposed to add? Anyone?

I also made Nigella's clementine cake yesterday. This involved boiling the clementines for 2 hours which made me kitchen smell gorgeous.

This morning: honey and spelt loaf. First time I've pulled it off, largely because I didn't use the bread machine this time (and could make a flatter loaf).
Man.

I made this in part because Artichoke's breakfast - every day - is 3 slices of toast slathered in honey, and she'll only eat wholemeal.

I came down to breakfast this morning, and she'd dug out a 4-day-old bread machine loaf 'because it looks lighter' without so much as nibbling the damned spelt loaf. Which is stonking, btw, and which I've been eating since yesterday morning :D

meringues! first time i've tried to make meringues - they're cooling in the oven now. I just needed to do something with the egg whites left over from making mayonnaise :cool:
well, I slightly overcooked these - not using a recipe I wasn't sure at all how long they should be in for. Think I'll only cook for about 2 hours next time for meringue nests...

<snip>The recipe on the side of the bag includes dried skimmed milk powder, it tastes great, but I'm not sure what the skimmed milk is supposed to add? Anyone?<snip>
Flavour and protein, which also slightly slows down the dough.

Back
Top Bottom