Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you baking?

I'm going to do Nigel Slater's choc and banana cake as I have a lot of rotting bananas.

I also have a lot of rotting apples but they're not cooking apples, any suggestions?

Baking nothing here. Wondering what to do with a stale french stick? Could feed to ducks or think about a culinary use?
I agree about the french toast.

Alternatively bread & butter pudding, bread pudding, or breadcrumbs (for stuffing etc).

Just use them as if they were cooking apples - i never buy specific cooking apples, use 'dessert' apples for everything, eg pies, and they are fine

I'm going to do Nigel Slater's choc and banana cake as I have a lot of rotting bananas.

I also have a lot of rotting apples but they're not cooking apples, any suggestions?
Cut out the manky bits and chop the rest into quite large bits - stir into a standard plain cake mixture just before baking.
Apple fritters - peel, core and remove manky bits. Leave in bits which are no less than a quarter of the apple and shake these in a bag with a couple of tablespoons of flour. Dip in batter, deep fry, drain, sprinkle with sugar (lemon juice is optional) and eat while hot.

Baking nothing here. Wondering what to do with a stale french stick? Could feed to ducks or think about a culinary use?
How stale? Did you use it? If so, what for?

I'd do garlic bread. Wet the outside and the garlic butter inside would sort that bit (obvs).
mmm, garlic bread.

Ginger, blackberry and apple crumble in the oven.

Oh yes.

e2a: update: lovely n sharp, which means Artichoke'll probably abhor it and I'll get to eat it all up :thumbs:

I found the nigel slater black banana cake a bit too sweet for my tastes. I might try the Pam Corbin's apple cake this week but I'm out of self raising wholemeal flour and don't have much white either. Maybe I can get to Brixton Wholefoods before it shuts tomorrow.

After knocking out a lime and white chocolate cheesecake (on a ginger nut base) from a 75p discounted 500g tub of mascarpone, I've got a honey, olive oil and spelt loaf proving. OH YES.

That cheesecake sounds nice mrs quoad.

I've made a batch of lemon frangipane muffins, except I only had enough lemon curd for half of them so the other half have a plum jam centre.

I am cooking 2 Victoria sponges with blueberries/raspberries/blackberries and cream middle for my daughter and husband's birthday.

I know Victoria sponges are not very exciting but personally I really like the simplicity of them with some nice cream and fruit.

I had baked a maple & bourbon fruit cake for my nephew but we didn't go in the end, so that's gone in the freezer till we see him and I'm going to make something for my friends this week but I'm lacking inspiration - it will have to have chocolate in it whatever it is :D

A cake for Maidmarian's birthday.

rhcake.jpg

Stopped into Ely Waitrose on our way back from a walk (looking for scone cutters) and found a thundering array of malted flours.

So'm baking a Scottish watermilled malted oak-smoked wholemeal loaf, with honey and olive oil atm.

Which sounds curious.

How on earth they smoke flour, I've got no idea.

Stopped into Ely Waitrose on our way back from a walk (looking for scone cutters) and found a thundering array of malted flours.

So'm baking a Scottish watermilled malted oak-smoked wholemeal loaf, with honey and olive oil atm.

Which sounds curious.

How on earth they smoke flour, I've got no idea.
They put the flour in a shallow container with an open top on a shelf in a smoker (imagine a cupboard with lots of racks, with a smouldering substance at the bottom of the cupboard, small vents near the top, and a tightly fitting door/lid. If you've got a big enough smoker, you can smoke anything you can think of. :)

i've got a chocolate and blueberry cake in the oven. the blueberries are in place of raspberries, and i added some raspberry jam to the mix. :)

At the weekend I made a bakewell tart which was shit.
Then I made banana and walnut muffins with loads of ground seeds for extra nutritional wonders. But they're a bit shit too, not sweet enough. Meh.

Think I had better stop baking now because I went to the doctor and found out that I've put in a stone in weight since before Christmas. Oops.
Edit: but my tits look awesome

I did a white loaf with some cinammon in it last week. Was nice toasted with jam on it but not so much with peanut butter.

IMG_0677.jpg

Made these for breakfast :D 2/3 wholemeal, 1/3 white self-raising. Entirely, tbh, because we ran out of white. But they've turned out way, way, way better than last night's :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom