Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you baking?

Was there really no specific 'What are you baking?' thread already?

I just kept looking for one, mainly for advice, but couldn't find as such.

Hope people use this for advice too :cool:

Oh, I see you hadn't made any cakes when I came round! :mad: :D

i want to make some cakes now :hmm: :( :oops: Might do that carrot one of wtf's, and not put any icing on it so it's vaguely healthy!

I made banana and peanut butter cake at the weekend and IT WAS A SUCCESS. It was fluffy and moist and tasted very nice. have very little of it left in fact.

I have a banana and walnut cake in the bread maker.

I'm a bit pissed off, tbh, because I saw this 'BANANA AND WALNUT CAKE' recipe in the breadmaker book and I was all, like, oh, right, this machine's a piece of piss, I'll get the ingredients for that.

And it turns out that YOU MIX, CRUSH AND BLEND ALL THE INGREDIENTS BY HAND, LINE THE WHOLE BASTARD THING WITH BAKING PAPER, REMOVE THE PADDLE and use the bastarding bread machine as nothing except an oven. On the 'bake only' programme.

tbh, I feel a bit cheated.

Hello

Not so impressive - a leftovers (mainly chicken curry, and vegetables) pie. But it was really tasty.

Notable features:

1. Shortcrust pastry: usually turns out not so good. This time I cheated and mixed in an egg when it wasn't binding, and it turned out great. Very handle-able. I intend to cheat from now on.

2. Couldn't be asked to do bechamel / white sauce, so did custard instead made up with milk, stock powder, mustard etc. Sounds emetic, tasted alright.

3. My first blind baking! Usually don't bother. I used chickpeas,and they all embedded themselves in the pastry. Very fiddly picking out.

4. Pastry shrank from the sides of the dish a bit - there must be a cure for this.

Grateful for any guidance.

Hello

Not so impressive - a leftovers (mainly chicken curry, and vegetables) pie. But it was really tasty.
<snip>
Grateful for any guidance.
Hello Porp answering you point by point...
1) well done - everyone has their own way of doing pastry and if yours works I'm not going to knock it.
2) no need to even do a savoury custard (if you heated it up in a pan before adding to the pie), just season the milk, beat into the egg and add to the pie, it'll thicken as the pie cooks.
3) when blind baking, put a layer of greaseproof or baking parchment directly onto the pastry, then put your weighing down stuff on that - much easier and nothing gets embedded.
4) pastry will nearly always shrink a bit. To limit how quite much it shrinks, rest the pastry between getting it into a ball and rolling out. Then line the dish, but leave a bit of pastry hanging over the sides all the way round and let it rest again before filling. Once you've got the top on, trim off the excess.
5) cookery is an art as much as a science. Sometimes you'll get an amazingly good result in spite of making every possible mistake and sometimes it'll be horrible although you did everything right. This happens to everyone.

Oh, I see you hadn't made any cakes when I came round! :mad: :D

i want to make some cakes now :hmm: :( :oops: Might do that carrot one of wtf's, and not put any icing on it so it's vaguely healthy!
It is vaguely healthy, like, for a cake. ;) oil instead of butter and I tend to swap in brown sugar or golden caster in the belief that it is less refined and therefore better for you. Plus, y'know, carrots... :thumbs:

Yes, which is why I haven't made it - too easy for me to get a habit from it. :oops:

Hello Porp answering you point by point...
1) well done - everyone has their own way of doing pastry and if yours works I'm not going to knock it.
2) no need to even do a savoury custard (if you heated it up in a pan before adding to the pie), just season the milk, beat into the egg and add to the pie, it'll thicken as the pie cooks.
3) when blind baking, put a layer of greaseproof or baking parchment directly onto the pastry, then put your weighing down stuff on that - much easier and nothing gets embedded.
4) pastry will nearly always shrink a bit. To limit how quite much it shrinks, rest the pastry between getting it into a ball and rolling out. Then line the dish, but leave a bit of pastry hanging over the sides all the way round and let it rest again before filling. Once you've got the top on, trim off the excess.
5) cookery is an art as much as a science. Sometimes you'll get an amazingly good result in spite of making every possible mistake and sometimes it'll be horrible although you did everything right. This happens to everyone.
Greebo - thanks for the guidance. I like your idea about the egg/milk mix instead of custard/bechamel. And the paper layer in blind baking, a good tip too.

I think I'm going to make this baked lemon cheesecake at the weekend:<snip> he doesn't like chocolate cake :mad:
It looks suitably luxurious. :cool: Curry and general messiness, good idea, seeing as curries don't get ruined by timing being a bit more creative than usual.

I have a banana and walnut cake in the bread maker.

I'm a bit pissed off, tbh, because I saw this 'BANANA AND WALNUT CAKE' recipe in the breadmaker book and I was all, like, oh, right, this machine's a piece of piss, I'll get the ingredients for that.

And it turns out that YOU MIX, CRUSH AND BLEND ALL THE INGREDIENTS BY HAND, LINE THE WHOLE BASTARD THING WITH BAKING PAPER, REMOVE THE PADDLE and use the bastarding bread machine as nothing except an oven. On the 'bake only' programme.

tbh, I feel a bit cheated.
I forgot that this meant I needed to remove the paddle.

And last night experimented with what would happen if I added an egg to our standard bread mix.

Being without a paddle, I basically woke up to a brick of hot dry flour with a baked egg on top.

And lots and lots of very unhappy pumpkin seeds.

:(

I broke ma cake :(

6384796097_2f49a5d89d_o.jpg

I popped it out a silicone mould (is that spelt the same? ewww) too quickly, it's not for anything/anyone... I'll cut it into squares, we can have the jaggedy bits for pud and the rest will go to work, they'll never know will they? :hmm:

(it already has a crunchy lemony sugar topping, and I *may* have eaten some since taking the picture :oops:)

Mini Twiglets are for the small girl's lunches...she started one of those annoying convo's with me the other week....'Mum! You know those *things* - can you get me some? I really like them! :cool: ' .....completely out of context, with nothing to relate it to....'NO! WHAT THINGS!?! GIVE ME A CLUE, MAYBE?!? :facepalm: :mad: '.
More talk of *things like sticks* (with no mention of it being FOOD yet :rolleyes: )....until finally, some time later :facepalm: I wept 'Twiglets? :hmm: TWIGLETS!' FFS! :mad:

So, yeah. :D :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom