Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you baking?

Oaty biccies with cinnamon, stem ginger, cranberries, raisins, demerara sugar and golden syrup. Still not crisp,though, am gonna turn heat up next time. I want crunchy biccies ffs!

Attachments

• 20240203_133659.jpg
    20240203_133659.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240203_133637.jpg
    20240203_133637.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240203_133626.jpg
    20240203_133626.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240203_133605.jpg
    20240203_133605.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
On my endless quest for the perfect crunchy cookie, I have baked choc chip and crushed almond cookies today. On the advice of a mate, I baked them for a bit longer than the recipe said. Will test once they've properly cooled. Still another tray of them to come out yet too.

Attachments

• 20240218_142434.jpg
    20240218_142434.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 4
About 6 weeks ago, I entered a competition from a Bonne Maman jar of jam. I'm not sure I even remember thinking about what the prize was.

Anyway, I was one of the winners, and a heart-shaped crepiere turned up on Saturday (which is to say that it was delivered by Evri, and the first I knew of it was an email with a photograph of a dustbin, various bin bags, and box shoved down behind them, but anyway...).

So I thought I'd better try it out. Heart-shaped Staffordshire oatcakes:

1709463826540.png

About 6 weeks ago, I entered a competition from a Bonne Maman jar of jam. I'm not sure I even remember thinking about what the prize was.

Anyway, I was one of the winners, and a heart-shaped crepiere turned up on Saturday (which is to say that it was delivered by Evri, and the first I knew of it was an email with a photograph of a dustbin, various bin bags, and box shoved down behind them, but anyway...).

So I thought I'd better try it out. Heart-shaped Staffordshire oatcakes:

View attachment 414486
Damn! I entered that and won nowt. Pan envy! ❤️

Trying to eat more fruit in my diet.
Don’t get on with raw fruit, so gonna do a deep dive into pudding, starting with apple crumble.
A healthy fruit-based dish that you can add custard, cream and ice cream to. Win-win.

Trying to eat more fruit in my diet.
Don’t get on with raw fruit, so gonna do a deep dive into pudding, starting with apple crumble.
A healthy fruit-based dish that you can add custard, cream and ice cream to. Win-win.
I don't really do sweet things, so I'd be inclined to up my consumption of savoury fruits such as peppers and tomatoes.
I do like cherries and plums, they are great as is (and not too sweet) or just simply stewed with some brandy, brown sugar, and butter.
It's not particularly healthy though, what is your aim in terms of nutrition? (Assuming it must be that because if you liked fruit to eat for fun, you'd probably be doing it already?)

I don't really do sweet things, so I'd be inclined to up my consumption of savoury fruits such as peppers and tomatoes.
I do like cherries and plums, they are great as is (and not too sweet) or just simply stewed with some brandy, brown sugar, and butter.
It's not particularly healthy though, what is your aim in terms of nutrition? (Assuming it must be that because if you liked fruit to eat for fun, you'd probably be doing it already?)
Just to eat more fruit. Never eat it normally unless it’s been processed by someone else.

Last edited:
Just to. eat more fruit. Never eat it normally unless it’s been processed by someone else.
A lot of it isn't all that (IMO :D ) - but yeah crumbles are tasty, I tend to put ginger/cinnamon in the crumble mix.
Stewed as I mentioned above, with some ice cream. Also good for preserving it cos you can stew a load and portion it for the freezer, then just reheat from frozen just to have as is with custard or ice cream, or to use for pie/crumble.
I particularly go for cherries and plums which as I mentioned are about the only fruit I will eat as is, oh and lychees.
Apples and pears also good for pie fillings or upside-down cake type of things.
You like cooking, so strudel or tarte tatin type thing perhaps? Pears would also work well in similar. I do like cakes with apple or pear incorporated into them.

Oh, lemon tart. How could I forget that, a firm favourite! Enough sourness/tartness for me.

A lot of it isn't all that (IMO :D ) - but yeah crumbles are tasty, I tend to put ginger/cinnamon in the crumble mix.
Stewed as I mentioned above, with some ice cream. Also good for preserving it cos you can stew a load and portion it for the freezer, then just reheat from frozen just to have as is with custard or ice cream, or to use for pie/crumble.
I particularly go for cherries and plums which as I mentioned are about the only fruit I will eat as is, oh and lychees.
Apples and pears also good for pie fillings or upside-down cake type of things.
You like cooking, so strudel or tarte tatin type thing perhaps? Pears would also work well in similar. I do like cakes with apple or pear incorporated into them.
Aye, will be trying my hand at a bunch of crumbles, tarts and cobblers

When N was working as a market cleaner via an agency a few winters back, he'd bring home a lot of punnets of soft fruit that were destined for the bin - they were fine to eat, just not the premium produce that was required on display at this particular high-end market - I put punnets of soft fruit in the freezer and in the summer would retrieve a punnet, give it a whizz round in the blender while still frozen and either gently blend in some double cream or stir the frozen puréed fruit into some clotted cream for a quick and very naughty fruit ice cream - how to turn fruit into something shockingly unhealthy :D

I'm kind of gratified in a way to hear this, as I did wonder whether everybody got one!

But I'm sorry you didn't get one. If it's any consolation, it doesn't work with induction hobs: "tous feux sauf induction".
tbh, I didn't need any more heart-shaped cookware, I just like the thrill of the win! :D May all your pancakes be romantic.

Back
Top Bottom