Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you baking?

I made ginger biscuits from this recipe. Don't use it. Ginger biscuits recipe | BBC Good Food

Once again, a BBC Good Food recipe is a bit shit. Dough was wayyyy too wet! Wasn't even dough, I had to spoon the fucker onto the baking tray. They turned out to be more like flattish ginger cakes rather than the crisp biccies I had in mind.

Oh well. They taste gorgeous, just not crisp at all.
Think I used this recipe last time I made them:

Wow that looks amazing!
Recipe...?
Here you go

Toffee Apple Upside-Down Cake
3 eating apples, cored, two grated and the third thinly sliced
25g butter or vegan butter (something like the Naturli blocks, not spreadable marg stuff)
200g light brown sugar
180g plain flour
1 tsp bicarb
1½ tsp mixed spice
75 ml sunflower or veg oil
1 tsp vinegar
Zest of 1 lemon
75g chopped walnuts

Melt the butter and 90g of the sugar together, pour into a lined (base and sides) 23cm square tin and arrange the sliced apple in a layer on top.
Combine flour, the remaining sugar, bicarb and mixed spice, and in a separate bowl combine oil, vinegar, grated apple, lemon zest and 175ml of water.
Quickly mix wet and dry ingredients together then stir in walnuts. Pour into tin, on top of sliced apples, and bake at 180°C for 30–40 mins. Cool in tin for a bit before turning out.

Not strictly baking, but I have spent far longer than is reasonable creating greaseproof paper tubes to package them in. Turns out that a tube of 21cm radius is just perfect for slotting 4cm biscuits into, and I have a nice little system going where I can stack them up on a former, put the tube over, and then fold and paste the tops and bottoms. Policy of Continuous Improvement.

Back
Top Bottom