Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wear masks in shops

What is it about then?
Thats a great question. But now exending / reintroducing lockdown(s) based on 'cases' (often with mild symptoms) is a completely different narrative to a 3 week lock down intended to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. Its gone from a pandemic to a casedemic.

The pattern in the US and other countries has been reopening, followed by a rise in cases among young people, followed by a rise in cases among older people, followed by a rise in hospitalisations, followed by a rise in deaths, I don't see any reason why Britain wouldn't be following the same trajectory.
So surely you continue to shield / protect the vulnerable while re-opening to everyone else.

Thats a great question. But now exending / reintoruducing lockdown(s) based on 'cases' (often with mild symptoms) is a completely different narrative to a 3 week lock down intended to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. Its gone from a pandemic to a casedemic.
Sorry, I don't really understand the point here.

The point is, that it now appears that 'cases' are now being used as the marker for lock down restrictions and not NHS hospitilisation figures. At a time when there is a huge amount of testing.

So surely you continue to shield / protect the vulnerable while re-opening to everyone else.

How do you do that? I think you're right in principle I just don't see how it can be realistically be achieved. Most transmissions happen in the home so that would mean everyone living with someone vulnerable would essentially have to live the same life as the vulnerable person. Everyone living with a NHS or care worker would have to live that same life.

My brother in law got very ill from it (not in any high risk groups beyond being a male over 40) and he had been ultra cautious and careful. But his wife (my sister) is a primary school teacher and she had to go to school to teach the children of key workers.

How do we protect the vulnerable whilst simultaneously allowing the virus to run rampant through the less vulnerable population?

How do you do that? I think you're right in principle I just don't see how it can be realistically be achieved. Most transmissions happen in the home so that would mean everyone living with someone vulnerable would essentially have to live the same life as the vulnerable person. Everyone living with a NHS or care worker would have to live that same life.

My brother in law got very ill from it (not in any high risk groups beyond being a male over 40) and he had been ultra cautious and careful. But his wife (my sister) is a primary school teacher and she had to go to school to teach the children of key workers.

How do we protect the vulnerable whilst simultaneously allowing the virus to run rampant through the less vulnerable population?
Again, a great question. But the alternative to that would be lockdown forever for everyone. Which is going to be catastrophic. Already is.

Again, a great question. But the alternative to that would be lockdown forever for everyone. Which is going to be catastrophic. Already is.

Dunno if that's right. What they are doing now is an alternative surely? Seeing how far they can push things without causing another major flare up. Deal with localised problems when they occur etc.

I'm not going to defend the government's handling of the pandemic but given the situation we find ourselves in I'm not sure there is a better alternative to what is already being done. I mean they could do better with what they are doing but the approach I think is probably best for now.

But infections at present are not leading to hospitilisations. There are still new infections, but none are leading to hospitilisations. Hospital stats confirm that Covid cases are at record lows and ITU records are low. Hence, the scientific view now being that the virus is less impactful and that it has run its course of affecting those most vulnerable (care homes etc). In the general public its not leading to increased hospitilisations. The new cases in France and Spain have also not led to new hospitilisations as they have been among younger age groups who have largely had mild symptoms. So, its no longer about protecting the NHS IMO.

Some infections are leading to hospitalisations, just not as many as before. There's complicated reasons for this, but those reasons shouldn't lead to complacency for the coming months.

That's not 'the scientific view', there's no such thing.

Why are you fixated on the 'protecting the NHS' thing? There are plenty of other things to be concerned about as well.

I feel a little like you've watched a few Youtube videos of dubious validity and now have some very strong opinions with very little knowledge tbh.

Last edited:
Some infections are leading to hospitalisations, just not as many as before. There's complicated reasons for this, but those reasons shouldn't lead to complacency for the coming months.

That's not 'the scientific view', there's no such thing.

Why are you fixated on the 'protecting the NHS' thing? There's plenty of other things to be concerned about as well.

I feel a little like you've watched a few Youtube videos of dubious validity and now have some very strong opinions with very little knowledge tbh.
I'm getting a twitchy vibe about this, too, but am mostly sitting on my hands...

"Casedemic" as a term seems pretty solidly linked to just this video, and the guy discussing it is a biochemical engineer.
I haven't thoroughly dug into anything, but it seems, to say the least, to be an isolated view that has not been cited by any credible sources.

Back
Top Bottom