Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wear masks in shops

Bollocks, I wear a mask at work(the only one) and in shops ( usually the only one), but dismissing real concerns around masks helps no ones. The mask becomes a surface upon which the virus can live, people can adjust them, wear them as hammocks for their chins and think they're fucking invincible. This needs to be in the open and discussed or wearing them will do shit all.

As with gloves, if you don't use masks properly, why bother?

I appreciate that reusable masks are cheaper, But personally, I'll only use disposable.

No it's not. People are wearing them the whole time, not how you described there. Touching themselves, everything around them, their faces, other things. How you are wearing them is definitely not how you see people out and about wearing them. Those people would be much better not wearing them and washing and alcohol gelling their hands frequently like we're told. And there's good reasons why as part of the government advice gloves do not feature for the public.

I take your point. Once again I fall into the hole of assuming that everyone has the same level of knowledge/expertise as me. :oops:

On a complete aside, my second ward as a student nurse was Ward 5 in Culduthel Hospital in Inverness. A curious three stranded ward. Infectious diseases, terminal care and long term care for stroke victims. We had 17 TB patients when I was there. Every time you came out of a room, you washed your hands in the sink outside. On every sink was a big tub of Atrixo hand cream. One of the Staff Nurses asked why I wasn't using the hand cream. With all the bravado of my 18 years, I remarked that men don't use hand cream. :) Funnily enough, after washing my hands thirty times a day for two days, I discovered that men do use hand cream. :)

I've been building brand new laptops for people to use at home.
Ten at a time in a room.
I tried gloves, but in the end settled for repeated handwashing and use of gel before and during the process, plus the fact that the devices will sit on a shelf for at least a week before use.

I used gloves on the one occasion someone returned one for reimaging - something we only do in exceptional circumstances.

It seems to me that gloves wouldn't have added much

I've been building brand new laptops for people to use at home.
Ten at a time in a room.
I tried gloves, but in the end settled for repeated handwashing and use of gel before and during the process, plus the fact that the devices will sit on a shelf for at least a week before use.

I used gloves on the one occasion someone returned one for reimaging - something we only do in exceptional circumstances.

It seems to me that gloves wouldn't have added much
Where do you buy components to build a laptop?

BB1 and I spent today at Thorpe Park, first time I have been there in 29 years and the first time I have ever paid to get in. Anyway, masks required on all rides like the coasters and ones where you are sat next to people outside your bubble. Everyone complied. One couple in the queue for Stealth kept standing very close behind us, other than that felt comfortable all day. Apart from the hour long queues in the blazing sun and that...oh and having to go on the rides my 16 year likes, glasses fell off on Swarm and I caught them in mid-air, fella in the carriage behind me complimented me on my mad skills once we got off!

May I point out that coupled with your mask, gloves are a good idea?

I take the car out every couple of weeks for fifty brisk miles and refill it to keep the tank as condensation free as possible.

The car is 'clean', everything outside the car is 'dirty'. Gloves and mask on, fill car, pay for petrol, discard gloves and mask in bin before getting back in the car.

I didn't think that barrier nursing techniques would be so useful in ordinary life.
That's a nice use case of the gloves thing. And I note that the (few) petrol stations I have been to during lockdown have had an ample supply of gloves, anyway. I've always done the Man Thing of "dammit, I'm doing something dangerous and technical in refuelling my vehicle, and I don't need no pansy gloves to stop my hands smelling of petrol" in the past, but I'll be making use of the gloves (or whipping a spare one out of my glovebox) from here on in. Supermarket stuff's a bit different - hand sanitiser and suchlike are much more accessible, and I'm getting pretty good at managing that "clean/dirty hands" flag in my head, so the itchy nose doesn't get a scratch until the hands have had a sanitise.

That's a nice use case of the gloves thing. And I note that the (few) petrol stations I have been to during lockdown have had an ample supply of gloves, anyway. I've always done the Man Thing of "dammit, I'm doing something dangerous and technical in refuelling my vehicle, and I don't need no pansy gloves to stop my hands smelling of petrol" in the past, but I'll be making use of the gloves (or whipping a spare one out of my glovebox) from here on in. Supermarket stuff's a bit different - hand sanitiser and suchlike are much more accessible, and I'm getting pretty good at managing that "clean/dirty hands" flag in my head, so the itchy nose doesn't get a scratch until the hands have had a sanitise.

Yep. The regime for the foreseeable I think. Personally, it'll be another month, hopefully less, until I'm out and about again. I want a week with no new cases, or a vaccine.

Yep. The regime for the foreseeable I think. Personally, it'll be another month, hopefully less, until I'm out and about again. I want a week with no new cases, or a vaccine.
I'm treating the situation locally as one in which we are going backwards (not necessarily in a bad way). Local infection rates have been very, very low - the westward surge of the virus seemed to peter out after Bridgend, and before it reached Swansea, with points West experiencing very low rate. In Ceredigion, they implemented a local track and trace scheme, with the result that Ceredigion's numbers, even taking into account its relative remoteness, are notably low. But we are seeing a lot of incoming traffic, a lot of it (certainly judging from number plates and overheard accents) have been from London and the Home counties, and other conurbations (Birmingham likes to come to West Wales). So I am feeling that we need to be being particularly cautious, and not let any complacency about our hitherto fairly isolated status lure us into a false sense of security.

Those whom I've spoken to locally would echo that - with varying degrees of isolationist grumping about "them" coming here with their virus, etc. - and recognise that we do need to be much more consciously careful than we'd have considered necessary up until now. Time will tell...

Meanwhile, I'm making sure I've got all the PPE I need before demand spikes again. But no scary monster masks for me :D

BB1 and I spent today at Thorpe Park, first time I have been there in 29 years and the first time I have ever paid to get in. Anyway, masks required on all rides like the coasters and ones where you are sat next to people outside your bubble. Everyone complied. One couple in the queue for Stealth kept standing very close behind us, other than that felt comfortable all day. Apart from the hour long queues in the blazing sun and that...oh and having to go on the rides my 16 year likes, glasses fell off on Swarm and I caught them in mid-air, fella in the carriage behind me complimented me on my mad skills once we got off!
Someone got stabbed at Thorpe park today :eek:

Wearing the masks is taking a toll, as is the gloves and/or washing hands all day. The masks are uncomfortable, esp when the temp goes up... the skin gets irritated. The gloves makes the hands sweat and the washing makes the skin dry.

Still preferable to fucked lungs or worse, though.

In a big Asda yesterday and saw only one customer not wearing a mask. Edinburgh people seem to have really taken the message on board.
Today in Glasgow I have been in a taxi, briefly at a care home, and on three buses and also into LIDL. I wasn't really keeping score but most people were wearing masks, and the checkout queue at LIDL was people obediently keeping 2 metres back. I hadn't been on a bus for months, so I'm all in favour of this half-empty and "don't sit here" business.

To be fair, I reckon the mask I was using probably isn't all that good, as it doesn't have the "making it hard to breathe" aspect of another one I tried, but any face covering plus keeping a distance must be of some use (or so I tell myself).

if anyone at work complains about how wearing a mask or other PPE is uncomfortable, I tell them it's more comfortable than being intubated. I have seen loved ones being intubated through both nose and throat and they're both distressing for the patient and distressing to witness. Feeling itchy is nowt compared to that.

if anyone at work complains about how wearing a mask or other PPE is uncomfortable, I tell them it's more comfortable than being intubated. I have seen loved ones being intubated through both nose and throat and they're both distressing for the patient and distressing to witness. Feeling itchy is nowt compared to that.

Yeah, millions of us have to wear PPE at work to a varying degree anyway. I get there are those with asthma and other conditions which make it difficult but for the rest of us it really isn't that big a hardship.

Just back from a trip to Aldi which was in its way almost as unpleasant as at the start of all this..
I wish I didn't have to go shopping next weekend - and masks become "compulsory" on Friday so I can't just take a half day and do my shopping then ..
I've never seen fewer masks and I find myself trying to read the minds of people - the virus itself is enough to mess a person up, but the clowns issuing "guidance" and all the gaslighting must have clinched it - I want to know what it's all about.
Grim resignation ? Denial ?

I was waiting to be accused of "virtue signalling" ... quite frankly as time goes on I'm more likely to be wearing the mask to protect myself as I don't trust the people around me.

Last edited:
I was out at a job site on Friday waiting for Openreach to turn up and I was people watching seeing how many people were starting to use masks. 100% on buses, 10% in shops and over 70% of bus drivers who either had the mask as a beard cover, a throat muffler or an under nose cover was ridiculous

Wearing the masks is taking a toll, as is the gloves and/or washing hands all day. The masks are uncomfortable, esp when the temp goes up... the skin gets irritated. The gloves makes the hands sweat and the washing makes the skin dry.

Still preferable to fucked lungs or worse, though.

It's 30+ degrees here and we've worn masks the whole time, no bother, 70m people.

Anyway, just been to Guildford, Primark <10% of folk wearing masks, House of Fraser >60%. Oddly all staff in Primark wearing masks, none in House of Fraser were.

Back
Top Bottom