Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vaccine roll-out: the logistics

It really takes the piss that where I live, the North East of England, is to be punished for being successful in vaccinating the population. We're having our supplies cut to deliberately slow us down. Cut by 50% no less. Fucking tory bastards.

It really takes the piss that where I live, the North East of England, is to be punished for being successful in vaccinating the population. We're having our supplies cut to deliberately slow us down. Cut by 50% no less. Fucking tory bastards.

That's a ridiculous way to view a national program, it's not a race between regions and there is a limited supply of vaccine.

It's a bit complex, the NE had one of the first national mass vaccination sites open last week in Newcastle, whereas here in Sussex we have to wait for the one at the Brighton Centre to open on Monday, that's not the fault of anyone locally, these are part of the national roll-out effort. Clearly where these sites are already open, you would expect those areas to be well ahead in vaccinations compared to areas waiting on having one to open.

In addition, GPs around here have resources in place, but they have simply not been getting enough vaccine supplies, whilst at the same time we have a very high percentage of over 80s compared to many areas, so it would seem there's been some initial targeting problems with certain areas not getting enough supplies compared to other areas. They are certainly not sitting on a stock of unused vaccines, if they were, they wouldn't need more supplies that had initially be planned to go elsewhere.

There're limited supplies of vaccines, and clearly they need to be targeted better to ensure the most vulnerable groups get their jabs first before moving onto the next groups, it's about balancing things out and being fair to everyone.

That's a ridiculous way to view a national program, it's not a race between regions and there is a limited supply of vaccine.
You have to agree with krink 's last sentence, though.

I had heard from initial Israel data, but allegedly this is not accurate, which would be a relief: Covid: Israel vaccine fears 'out of context and inaccurate'

I had wondered whether it was a bit early to say it wasn't working (ie it's known protective effect takes a week or two).
Sky News' coverage is a bit less dismissive of Prof Balicer's concerns and less IT'S ALL FINE! than the BBC version.

The UK's single dose response is based on the view that the first dose will be up to 89% effective. Pfizer say it's 52% effective after 12 days - they don't give a figure for the 3 months the UK is aiming for with the second dose as they didn't test for it. The early Israeli real world data suggests it's 33% effective at 14 days, although they accept this will increase as more data comes in, probably about in line with Pfizer's 52% figure.

The UK's assumption that immunity will continue to increase after 2 weeks is based on how other 2 dose vaccines work, so isn't completely pulled out of their arses, although some say it's an optimistic figure. It is, however, still an assumption.

While this isn't something to panic about at the moment, it is something to keep an eye on.

That's just a horribly confused article as far as I can see with a big jumble of "percentage effective" numbers presented in a misleading way.
I suggest a sternly worded email to Nick Sutton, head of Sky's digital output, informing him of his journalist's shortcomings. Maybe type it in green.

Just had an email from work telling me I can get a vaccine next week due to being in a special school.

Edit - email a bit unclear. I can book an appointment next week, don't know if that is when I'll actually get a jab.

Well, that was a load of trash. Told appointments would be made available at 3pm - and they weren't. Just a load of info all saying the same thing, massive demand etc. I can see this taking some time.

This country has ordered 5 times as many vaccine doses as there are people, i wonder at what point the government will sell or give away the excess ? Is it only after everyone of any age who can be persuaded to get vaccinated has been?

This graphic is quite a thing, how many doses per citizen various bits of the world have been able to buy / order and which company they have bought it from.
Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 14.48.46.png

from this

My mum had a letter from her GP inviting her to have a covid19 vaccine. But she got the letter after coming out of hospital in mid January, and the letter was dated mid December - she was in hospital at that point and in isolation as well having tested positive.

She doesn’t want to be a bother to anyone and said she will just wait to see what they tell her to do. She’s also fairly confident that having had it with no symptoms, she’s a good chance of having some immunity in the medium/short term.

I think they might have just assumed she didn’t want it, given how low the uptake has been?

I don’t want her to miss out - should I be pressing her to contact the health centre and tell them she didn’t attend because she was in hospital at the time, and can she have a new appointment now please?

My mum had a letter from her GP inviting her to have a covid19 vaccine. But she got the letter after coming out of hospital in mid January, and the letter was dated mid December - she was in hospital at that point and in isolation as well having tested positive.

She doesn’t want to be a bother to anyone and said she will just wait to see what they tell her to do. She’s also fairly confident that having had it with no symptoms, she’s a good chance of having some immunity in the medium/short term.

I think they might have just assumed she didn’t want it, given how low the uptake has been?

I don’t want her to miss out - should I be pressing her to contact the health centre and tell them she didn’t attend because she was in hospital at the time, and can she have a new appointment now please?

Yes. She won’t be bothering anybody and it is still recommended to have the vaccine if you have had covid.

This country has ordered 5 times as many vaccine doses as there are people, i wonder at what point the government will sell or give away the excess ? Is it only after everyone of any age who can be persuaded to get vaccinated has been?

This graphic is quite a thing, how many doses per citizen various bits of the world have been able to buy / order and which company they have bought it from.
View attachment 252206

from this
International vaccine procurement in that chart reminds me of the supermarkets in mid-March last year. UK & Canada are those sharp elbowed rich wankers who've installed a second freezer in their spare garage and bought all the loo roll (EU is in an entitled fury after spending too long writing the shopping list and missing out on some items). The African Union is that old bloke staring at the empty shelves in the famous photo.

In some areas at least you can book online if you've had a letter: Book a coronavirus vaccination. My parents did this and it was no bother apparently.
That’s really helpful thanks.

The website was down for most of this afternoon but having tried this evening it looks like I could walk through it with her over the phone. Bit of a journey to the avbut there is one near a train station.

Damn. By the time I was able to speak to my mum the list of places she could go to has changed. The one which was on a route & in an area she’d be familiar with has gone & the next nearest is in a different town. Still possible to get to by bus. Wish I was closer and could go with her.

I wonder why a pattern appears to be developing whereby the number of doses administered increases every day from Sunday, reaching a peak on Saturday before dropping back down:

Capture.JPG

And, sometimes not all 4 nations are reporting figures on a given day.

Number of people who have received a vaccination for COVID-19, by day on which the vaccine was reported. Data are reported daily, and include all vaccination events that are entered on the relevant system at the time of extract. This includes reported vaccines that were administered up to and including the date shown. Data for each nation has not been reported on all days and included in the total for subsequent days. See the About section for details.

Johnson says 2m (out of 15m) people have been offered vaccine but haven’t ‘come forward’.

This seems high (13%).

Hancock said just now on #r4today that take-up for 70-80 year-olds about 98%.

Which group isn’t ‘coming forwards’ and what does this mean?

13% is high if it is anti-vax but could this just be older people not managing to get to appointment or even just in pipeline?

Johnson says 2m (out of 15m) people have been offered vaccine but haven’t ‘come forward’.

This seems high (13%).

Hancock said just now on #r4today that take-up for 70-80 year-olds about 98%.

Which group isn’t ‘coming forwards’ and what does this mean?

No, according to the article Johnson's words were "With less than a week to go until the target date... there's no doubt we've made great strides, with just over 13 million people now vaccinated.....But that still leaves nearly two million people, a population roughly twice the size of Birmingham, that we still hope to reach"

It seems that this two million thus includes people who haven't yet had the vaccine but are going to have it between now and Monday. The average number jabbed per day is 433,832 (not all of these will be in the 70+ group).

Surveys suggest anti-vaccine very low for 70+ age group. It’s the younger folk that are nuts.

While that seems to be true, there was a disturbing article in the Guardian recently ( :confused: -- can't find it now ... :( ) about high resistance to being vaccinated amongst UK-based BAME people in older age groups ....... there's already been some Urban discussion about this recently.

Last edited:
Mrs21 had her vaccine yesterday, she was impressed with the efficiency , text last week from our Doctor's, booked an appointment for Friday , turned up , short wait whilst she confirmed her details ,etc. Then jab & go. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom