Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Testing positive for COVID-19 after getting the vaccine?

I lost my sense of taste and smell when I had that really nasty swine flu that was doing the rounds a few winters ago - when it came back, it was wrong at first (I believe this can sometimes happen with COVID too) - onions, which I normally love, tasted really really horrible, and a lot of stuff had a burnt smell and taste. Very unpleasant and I lost my appetite a bit for a while. It did pass after a few weeks, thankfully.

And from 15th July.

Not so straight forward for immunocompromised patients.

I lost my sense of taste and smell when I had that really nasty swine flu that was doing the rounds a few winters ago - when it came back, it was wrong at first (I believe this can sometimes happen with COVID too) - onions, which I normally love, tasted really really horrible, and a lot of stuff had a burnt smell and taste. Very unpleasant and I lost my appetite a bit for a while. It did pass after a few weeks, thankfully.
My current strange daily ritual:

Get up, open jar of Branston Pickle and inhale.
Smell nothing. Sigh.

My current strange daily ritual:

Get up, open jar of Branston Pickle and inhale.
Smell nothing. Sigh.
It might takes ages to come back! Don't worry about it. You can´t speed it up by doing the smell tests constantly.. maybe in a few weeks if it's still gone!

Hope you're feeling a bit better and taking it easy anyway.

It might takes ages to come back! Don't worry about it. You can´t speed it up by doing the smell tests constantly.. maybe in a few weeks if it's still gone!

Hope you're feeling a bit better and taking it easy anyway.
To be honest I feel pretty much fine - if Covid wasn't a thing I'd think nothing about going out down the pub and partying the night away. I can bring up some fearfully viscous flob though, if so minded.

To be honest I feel pretty much fine - if Covid wasn't a thing I'd think nothing about going out down the pub and partying the night away. I can bring up some fearfully viscous flob though, if so minded.
Have some Birds Eye Chilli nuts. :thumbs: Worked for me. :facepalm:

Here is a floating experiment into the possibility of getting infected after vaccination.

Was thinking about this and wondering what comparisons/contrasts there might be with other bugs that people must take on to these things all the time. I get that novel virus = no natural immunity, though there should be some immunity from vaccination now. But it still feels like it's spread more than if someone brought on a cold virus or norovirus maybe? Or do you reckon it's about the same? Just not sure it bodes well for this learning to live with the virus now we're all (almost) vaccinated.

3700 on a ship and 100 coming down with the same cold? I'd say that would have to be a pretty damn infectious cold no? Especially given the fact social distancing measures have been in place, they're probably wearing masks etc.

Well this virus is pretty transmissive, and the Alpha variant was plenty more transmissive than the original version, and the Delta version is plenty more transmissive than the Alpha version.

Consider R0 and Re:

R0 covers the raw potential of a particular virus/strain of virus, how many people an infectious person may spread it to. These things are always estimates but for example measles is very spreadable with an R0 often said to be between ranges such as 12-18! The common cold may be described as having a R0 of 2-3. The original virus in this pandemic may have had a R0 of 2-3. The Delta variant could be in the range of 6-8! But take all the numbers I've mentioned with a pinch of salt.

Re covers the reproductive ability of the virus in a particular population, setting etc. So things like behavioural changes and how many people have immunity can bring this number down compared to R0. But boats are quite terrible environments for avoiding infectious diseases, so that probably pushes the Re quite a bit higher.

Last edited:
Ah, coupla questions for the knowledgeable (obvs. not I). I do a monthly test for the ONS and have recently started doing blood tests as well as swabs. Anyway, some 20 days after my last one, the blood bit comes back saying positive for antibodies...which is news to me (and my partner and offspring). So, I know it is possible to have a false positive swab...is this the case with blood tests? Also, I am supposed to stab myself with a lancet and squeeze blood into a little tube...which was a total fucking fail - blood everywhere except in the tube and my efforts were discounted. So the next time, (17th August), I collected the required 2ml myself using a sterile syringe and handy vein. Do you think this would make a difference. Blood's blood, right?
And finally, do I have to stay at home? Till when? Should I do another test? I am a bit vexed by this and don't believe that I have got or have had Covid at any time. I am fairly sure that my PCR tests, which I do at the same time, came back negative after a few days.

I'm posting this here as I'm a bit confused. Yesterday my antigen test came in as positive, but this website says;

About the source GAVI - Wikipedia

*corrected to say I took the antigen test
I’m just very thankful you’re not an alpaca ;)

Ah, coupla questions for the knowledgeable (obvs. not I). I do a monthly test for the ONS and have recently started doing blood tests as well as swabs. Anyway, some 20 days after my last one, the blood bit comes back saying positive for antibodies...which is news to me (and my partner and offspring). So, I know it is possible to have a false positive swab...is this the case with blood tests? Also, I am supposed to stab myself with a lancet and squeeze blood into a little tube...which was a total fucking fail - blood everywhere except in the tube and my efforts were discounted. So the next time, (17th August), I collected the required 2ml myself using a sterile syringe and handy vein. Do you think this would make a difference. Blood's blood, right?
And finally, do I have to stay at home? Till when? Should I do another test? I am a bit vexed by this and don't believe that I have got or have had Covid at any time. I am fairly sure that my PCR tests, which I do at the same time, came back negative after a few days.

At this point the vast majority of people who participate in studies which enable the ONS to report on antibody levels should have detectable antibodies. Because past infection isnt the only way you end up with those, people who have had a good immune response to being vaccinated should also have them!

Note the wording in their reports on this:

• In England, it is estimated that over 9 in 10 adults, or 94.1% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 93.1% to 95.0%) would have tested positive for antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, the specific virus that causes coronavirus (COVID-19), on a blood test in the week beginning 9 August 2021, suggesting they had the infection in the past or have been vaccinated.

Cheers, elbows . I did look online and read that antibodies acquired through vaccinations are addressing a different protein spike (or some such) and stated that an antibody test would differentiate between naturally acquired immunity (through infection) and the protection gained from vaccination (whilst still covering their bases and stating that false positives do occur). Was even more confused. I have to say, the accompanying letter (with my test) made no mention of 'vast majority of adults' either. Anyway, despite having seen my offspring (outside) I have been pretty punctilious about the whole virus thing so was initially astonished, Quite pleased though since it is coming up for 6 months since my vaccinations.

Cheers, elbows . I did look online and read that antibodies acquired through vaccinations are addressing a different protein spike (or some such) and stated that an antibody test would differentiate between naturally acquired immunity (through infection) and the protection gained from vaccination (whilst still covering their bases and stating that false positives do occur). Was even more confused. I have to say, the accompanying letter (with my test) made no mention of 'vast majority of adults' either. Anyway, despite having seen my offspring (outside) I have been pretty punctilious about the whole virus thing so was initially astonished, Quite pleased though since it is coming up for 6 months since my vaccinations.

Yes, for example there is a Roche N antibody test which will only detect antibodies from infection, and a Roche S one which detects both vaccine induced and infection induced antibodies. I see graphs of these every week via the weekly report, but since the ONS study doesnt mention anything like that in its published results, I dont know as they are making this distinction at all. The other one I've mentioned that does make that distinction in its published results makes use of general blood donors to obtain this data.

Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 13.41.jpg
(from https://assets.publishing.service.g...014748/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w35.pdf )

Another question, elbows (and a thank you for your sterling efforts as the Urban Covid sage). Blood tests: using a little lancet for capillary blood is both messy, inefficient and actually quite nasty, while decanting a little blood from a vein is altogether much easier. Do you think this would make a difference for the testing regime?

I have no special knowledge or insight into that. The obvious default assumption is no, it would not make that kind of difference. And we might be able to use the fact that the alternative data I presented above comes from blood donors to further support that assumption.

Another question, elbows (and a thank you for your sterling efforts as the Urban Covid sage). Blood tests: using a little lancet for capillary blood is both messy, inefficient and actually quite nasty, while decanting a little blood from a vein is altogether much easier. Do you think this would make a difference for the testing regime?
I dont think it would. Its just that method - with the lancet is more accessible, easier and less scary then taking it from a vein with a needle...for most people.

The ONS survey doesn't distinguish between infection and vaccine acquired antibodies.

I've always drawn venous blood for fingerprick tests for various things as well as the ONS study campanula and no medical professional's ever had a problem with it (femoral freakouts aside :rolleyes:)

I‘ve had a positive lateral flow this evening. I had both jabs by the end of April but I’m on immunosuppressants for Crohn’s disease and also a bit asthmatic, so this could be a rough ride.

My boss had two positive LFTs last weekend but then tested negative on the PCR, still not sure what that means, but likely came through her or kids at school. I’ve been holding off my immunosuppressant meds since her results so hopefully that will help a bit.

Coughing a bit and chest is tight, no fever. Partner (negative LFT this evening) and one son also coughing so we’re all doing PCR tomorrow, which will involve the joy of trying to get a swab up the nose of an extremely reluctant five year old. Wish me luck…

I‘ve had a positive lateral flow this evening. I had both jabs by the end of April but I’m on immunosuppressants for Crohn’s disease and also a bit asthmatic, so this could be a rough ride.

My boss had two positive LFTs last weekend but then tested negative on the PCR, still not sure what that means, but likely came through her or kids at school. I’ve been holding off my immunosuppressant meds since her results so hopefully that will help a bit.

Coughing a bit and chest is tight, no fever. Partner (negative LFT this evening) and one son also coughing so we’re all doing PCR tomorrow, which will involve the joy of trying to get a swab up the nose of an extremely reluctant five year old. Wish me luck…
Best of luck!

Does anyone know if there is any sort of early intervention stuff for CEV people who receive a positive test result? I can find nothing on gov.U.K./ NHS 111 website, all it tells you is measures you should take to try not to get it, no pointers for what to do if you actually catch it. Worth trying to contact my GP?

I’ve just no idea what to expect in terms of disease progress etc, at the moment I’m just coughing a bit (productive) and feel a bit knackered with achey joints and a tight chest on one side, when/how does it get worse and when do I ask for help?

Does anyone know if there is any sort of early intervention stuff for CEV people who receive a positive test result? I can find nothing on gov.U.K./ NHS 111 website, all it tells you is measures you should take to try not to get it, no pointers for what to do if you actually catch it. Worth trying to contact my GP?

I’ve just no idea what to expect in terms of disease progress etc, at the moment I’m just coughing a bit (productive) and feel a bit knackered with achey joints and a tight chest on one side, when/how does it get worse and when do I ask for help?

This page may be helpful:

And this article that it links to:

In terms of monitoring your own condition and recognising when a medical intervention may be required, using a pulse oximeter to measure your blood oxygen levels is one approach.

Last edited:
This page may be helpful:

And this article that it links to:

In terms of monitoring your own condition and recognising when a medical intervention may be required, using a pulse oximeter to measure your blood oxygen levels is one approach.
Thanks elbows , that’s great. I did stop my medication after my boss tested positive so hoping that helps, I was due an injection then (was notified on the Sunday) so I’ve been off the biological stuff two weeks and the azothioprine for just over a week.

I read something saying that they’re now advising people to stop medication for a week after being vaccinated to allow the body to have a good immune response. This wasn’t the advice when I had my jab, but the first shot did have me feeling crap for a couple of days so did something, second jab I can’t remember anything other than being a bit lightheaded in the immediate aftermath of it.

My breathing feels better this morning. Very slight sore throat, joints still aching really badly and feeling quite hot on and off (though not ridiculous, temp 38.3 last time I checked, paracetamol doing the job). Barely coughing (had very little of this) and taste completely normal.

Medicating with paracetamo, gargling with alcoholic mouthwash a few times a day which seems to help clear the back of my nose which is slightly congested (breathing through the nose fine), also using vicks vapour rub and sucking mint humbugs, seems also to help with breathing. Had quite bad insomnia last night, uncomfortable from the joint pain and being too hot or cold, brain racing away, possibly a bit anxious. Awake at 4:30 so maybe 4hrs sleep but feeling quite bright despite this.

Update: Joint pain and fever much better this morning. Occasional cough last night, maybe once every hour or two, so not persistent, but when I do it really hurts like a sharp heartburn right through my chest. Only a slight feeling of congestion in throat/lungs but nose is blocking up a bit. Slept for three hour (8-11) then was woken up and didn’t go back to sleep until 4:30. Is insomnia a known ailment?

I did another positive lateral flow at midday yesterday after my PCR had come back negative, I’m doing another PCR today. The mrs had a positive lateral flow yesterday afternoon so I’ve come out of isolation in the sub-basement and moving freely around the house as I no longer need to worry about infecting her (her Monday PCR was inconclusive/not enough sample so being repeated today). She’s starting to get the joint/muscle pain now. The three year old is coughing quite a bit and a bit distressed, five year old seems fine but neither of us can take him to school and I doubt it would be easy to persuade anyone else to take a potentially infected child in, but the rules say he should be there which is beyond stupid.

Two of the people I was in the pub with on Friday night (a gathering of Yr 1 parents) have had positive lateral flows but negative PCRs as of yesterday morning, one has a child with symptoms. From the timescale it’s unlikely that I was the source of their infection but ultimately likely to be a common source at school going back a few steps.

Back
Top Bottom