Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Testing positive for COVID-19 after getting the vaccine?

Glad you're feeling a bit better Dogsauce and I hope your family are all the same soon too.

Negative PCR's after positive lateral flow tests are an odd one. I've heard of it happening the other way round.

Glad you're feeling a bit better Dogsauce and I hope your family are all the same soon too.

Negative PCR's after positive lateral flow tests are an odd one. I've heard of it happening the other way round.
False negatives are quite common with lateral flow, particularly if symptomatic. False positives are supposed to be rare, so something definitely odd about me knowing three other people locally (including the person that likely infected me at work) all consistently reporting positive lateral flow but negative PCR.

It is entirely possible that the window for delta viral RNA detection might be significantly shorter than previously whilst the antigen window is as/more extensive in some cases, particularly in vacinees.
My boss with the same issue asked some medic friends and the answer was something along those lines, that in vaccinated people by the time the PCR was done a day later the person who’d reported a positive LFT was no longer infectious (although positive LFTs continue).

Some of the parents who have had negative PCRs are not isolating, believing themselves to have had a false positive and are back at work or on the school run. Not sure they should be? Also do the confirmed case numbers only count cases confirmed by PCR, because if they are then there’s possibly some serious undercounting taking place.

My boss with the same issue asked some medic friends and the answer was something along those lines, that in vaccinated people by the time the PCR was done a day later the person who’d reported a positive LFT was no longer infectious (although positive LFTs continue).

Some of the parents who have had negative PCRs are not isolating, believing themselves to have had a false positive and are back at work or on the school run. Not sure they should be? Also do the confirmed case numbers only count cases confirmed by PCR, because if they are then there’s possibly some serious undercounting taking place.
In terms of "the rules", you ignore a positive lft if you get a negative PCR after it (within 48 hours I think) and only PCRs count.

In terms of "the rules", you ignore a positive lft if you get a negative PCR after it (within 48 hours I think) and only PCRs count.
Which is bollocks, as I’m far from well enough to go anywhere, as was my boss. We have it, but it’s not recorded? Is that why the ‘surge’ after returning to school is mysteriously absent?

Two fully vaccinated friends of mine caught covid a few weeks back and they were really quite ill with it for nearly a week. Which makes you think how bad it could have been if they'd listened to the anti-vaxx loons.

Which is bollocks, as I’m far from well enough to go anywhere, as was my boss. We have it, but it’s not recorded? Is that why the ‘surge’ after returning to school is mysteriously absent?
Let's see how things look in a week or two now the uni terms have started

Spoke too soon yesterday, thinking I was over the worst. Felt shitty all day again today, coughing a lot which has become quite painful, bringing up quite a lot of crap from my lungs/windpipe.

Spoke to the GP this morning who has given me some antibiotics as it’s possible I have some kind of chest infection (did online query yesterday as I was concerned I was bringing up foul tasting green-brown stuff, but that seemed to stop mid morning). Much paler and less offensive now but more volume. Soured my mood anyway, and the mrs had a fairly rough morning mostly in bed too. Being worn out by the kids a bit, but I was well enough to build them a Lego funicular railway which kept them relatively quiet for most of the afternoon despite needing frequent repairs.

Tired of it all, my immune system needs to get a fucking move on..

I've got a little flu....following exactly the way my man-flu manifests itself....but I've just had to book a PCR test as I have travel booked in 10 days that needs a negative test...I don't want to be disappointed at the airport.

I've got a little flu....following exactly the way my man-flu manifests itself....but I've just had to book a PCR test as I have travel booked in 10 days that needs a negative test...I don't want to be disappointed at the airport.

Good plan. Probably best to get a PCR for any flu symptoms at the moment tbh.

Good plan. Probably best to get a PCR for any flu symptoms at the moment tbh.
Yep, talks of omicron having maybe different main symptoms such as headaches and sore throat, and possibly turning into higher respiratory tract infecton rather than a lung one, but all under evaluation still.

closest friend just tested positive today (she is double vaxxed, says just a cough for now).
We had food together most recently on monday. I've just done a LF and its negative - is it normal to test again tomorrow etc ? Psychosomatic symptoms have kicked in already :facepalm:
it is definitely sweeping through my little part of the world right now.

closest friend just tested positive today (she is double vaxxed, says just a cough for now).
We had food together most recently on monday. I've just done a LF and its negative - is it normal to test again tomorrow etc ? Psychosomatic symptoms have kicked in already :facepalm:
it is definitely sweeping through my little part of the world right now.

That sucks. Apparently the symptoms seem to kick in quite quickly with omicron but yes Monday is very recent. Maybe best to keep doing LFTs for the week as they are recommending? Might put your mind at ease a bit.

Back
Top Bottom