Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Testing positive for COVID-19 after getting the vaccine?

I cant give useful advice but if the accurate date makes a difference to how many close contacts you've had in that period, you should be honest about that.

Although I should also say that the test & trace system will be under some strain at the moment due to demand, so who knows how well or when they will handle the contact tracing side of things with you if the test comes back positive.

If I may add a related question given the awesome knowledge on this thread? Does immunity increase if you get infected after being double vaccinated? In laymans terms I'm assuming that the first vaccine primes the immune system to know what to fight off, the second vaccine re-triggers that response to strengthen it, so does a post double vaccine infection strengthen immunity yet further?

I only ask as some friends of ours (husband, wife, two toddler aged kids) spent last week being ill with Covid despite both adults being double vaccinated. Am mildly wondering if the same happens to us, whether we will then be even less likely to get symptoms again.

If I may add a related question given the awesome knowledge on this thread? Does immunity increase if you get infected after being double vaccinated? In laymans terms I'm assuming that the first vaccine primes the immune system to know what to fight off, the second vaccine re-triggers that response to strengthen it, so does a post double vaccine infection strengthen immunity yet further?

I only ask as some friends of ours (husband, wife, two toddler aged kids) spent last week being ill with Covid despite both adults being double vaccinated. Am mildly wondering if the same happens to us, whether we will then be even less likely to get symptoms again.
I guess the infection would pride immunity/protection for the variant the got infected with.
In slightly related news was reading about people being infected with more than one strain at the same time.

I guess the infection would pride immunity/protection for the variant the got infected with.
In slightly related news was reading about people being infected with more than one strain at the same time.
I thought it had only been recorded once so far, a 80 year old woman, rather than many people. But well, first case documented, expect more to come?

Its the sort of thing they tend to play down due to the limited opportunities they give themselves to detect such things.

It sort of drives me potty trying to establish how common such things are.

Certainly coinfection with two different strains of a virus is one of the mechanisms behind viral recombination.

Viral recombination occurs when viruses of two different parent strains coinfect the same host cell and interact during replication to generate virus progeny that have some genes from both parents. Recombination generally occurs between members of the same virus type (e.g., between two influenza viruses or between two herpes simplex viruses). Two mechanisms of recombination have been observed for viruses: independent assortment and incomplete linkage. Either mechanism can produce new viral serotypes or viruses with altered virulence.

Theres also a potential link between such things and hospital acquired infection, because being hospitalised with one strain and then catching another strain in the hospital sounds plausible.

I cant give useful advice but if the accurate date makes a difference to how many close contacts you've had in that period, you should be honest about that.

Although I should also say that the test & trace system will be under some strain at the moment due to demand, so who knows how well or when they will handle the contact tracing side of things with you if the test comes back positive.

I'm going to be super honest but most of the time I've been out, I've either been on my own or in a busy pub and had checked in in using the app.

Does immunity increase if you get infected after being double vaccinated?
Still being characterised, but not the best way to attempt to improve immunity. There's no sure fire way to know whether you would be asymptomatic, symptomatic or severely ill. Correlates of protection are still being developed and understood (with a view to accelerating approval of redesigned and new generation vaccines from phase 2 immunogenicity data rather than lengthy, large scale phase 3 efficacy trials).

Generally: immune response in such a situation can vary widely from person to person and with a number of factors (not least - degree of seroconversion post-vaccination, time after second dose, variant, age, gender, circumstances of exposure: duration, viral load).

In most cases your circulating antibody levels should climb (though after recent vaccination they might well be quite high anyway), and then, over time they will drop. Cellular response could broaden further, as the weeks and months pass, and perhaps offer further protection to disease from future variants.

But on the other hand, there will be circumstances where this doesn't happen - you might be in the minority with poor seroconversion post-vaccination (for some reason: poor response to the vaccine, immune disease or dysfunction, immune suppression). So you might develop disease, severe even and maybe worse.

It's far better, less of a gamble, to acquire and boost immunity through vaccination rather than by encountering the live virus itself. Less risk to yourself and less risk to others (you can't infect others when acquiring further degrees of immunity, via vaccination, to this particular virus with the vaccines available).

e2a: And just this morning noticed a preprint touching on this. A study looking into longitudinal immunity in vaccinated healthcare workers, for the purposes of understanding if/when boosters might be needed, noted a significant jump in circulating antibodies where infection occurred post-vaccination.

Last edited:
I have a conundrum. When I reported my test result I could only input the previous day for when I had symptoms, but they'd actually started up on the Thursday - which means I could possibly come out of isolation quicker. I've been told I could ring up and get this sorted but I've just spend 25 mins getting nowhere. Anyone have any ideas?

So you had Covid symptoms from Thursday and went to watch the football in a crowded pub on Sunday?

So you had Covid symptoms from Thursday and went to watch the football in a crowded pub on Sunday?
I didn't realise they were Covid symptoms. It felt like a cold and I foolishly assumed that I was unlikely to get Covid being double vaccinated.

It was only when I later realised that my sense of taste had faded that I got tested.

And I wasn't in a pub. I was outside the whole time in a well ventilated space, and put on a mask whenever I ventured inside

Hope you're feeling better today editor.

My Mum's currently got Covid despite being double-jabbed too. The new variant is incredibly transmissible. As she's medically vulnerable - she had open heart surgery 18 months ago - my Mum's been shielded for the whole pandemic, practised social distancing more rigorously than anyone I know and got both jabs. And she lives in the middle of nowhere. And still got it!

Fortunately the jabs have kept the really horrible symptoms at bay but she's extremely tired just now, sleeping for 2/3rds of the time and still gets coughing fits. She's about 10 days in from infection, give or take. I've everything crossed that she's seen the worst of it.

I hope you're on the mend soon mate.

Well never mind, by being honest about whats happened there is a chance for good to come from it - your cautionary tale may help a number of other people to avoid making the same mistake.

Yeah I cant really imagine what thats like, I dont think I've ever lost my sense of taste completely, its been messed up by being bunged up in the past but thats not the same thing.

It it anything like eating a packet of ready salted crisps whilst tripping?

I hope you feel better soon editor

I don't think it has been widely enough publicised that variants can have different symptoms than the original "fever + new continuous cough" that has been drummed into us throughout.

This article from a month ago suggests that the Delta variant can present more like a cold in many people (headache, sore throat, runny nose - symptoms that I and many others would tend to think "common cold") - so a cautionary tale here for sure, I think best bet is to do a lateral flow test before heading out if you feel as though you have cold symptoms, not just the classic Covid ones that we were made familiar with last year.

Just did a second antibody test and that came up positive.
I've also just done a PCR test and that's been sent off.

Sorry for my earlier confusion over that tests I'd done. All this terminology is a bit confusing!

So today I feel alright - coughing a bit and a bit bunged up but the kind of thing that in a normal year, I would have shrugged off as a bit of a cold. I'm hoping I'm over the worst now...

I think that must be an antigen test, not an antibody test. I mean I assume you're talking about the free lateral flow tests? They're antigen, not antibody. A positive antibody test wouldn't mean you had covid now, just at some point in the past.

On sample contamination, I've been doing 4-5 lateral flow tests, plus 1-2 PCR tests per week via work for many months.

I'm still not any better at it. At some point, the swab will touch my cheek or tongue, a bit.

I'm assuming that this is a problem in case of false positives, rather than false negatives. Is that right?

All my results have been negative.

Hope you're fully recovered soon, editor x

According to Daily Mail:

Vaccinated people now make up almost 47% of all new Covid cases, symptom-tracking app claims, amid signs Britain’s third Covid wave may have peaked already

Probably a ZOE-based story that one. Because Spector has been going on about that sort of thing again, and I dont listen to his opinion since he previously suggested this wouldnt be a proper wave, 'just a ripple'.

I do still follow the ZOE data, but even he concedes that its not a good idea to only look at his app when determining whether we have peaked or whether case numbers are still growing.

I wont be able to jump on the idea that its peaked at the earliest opportunity, always have to wait and see in order to be sure. But I have been repeatedly raising the possibility that it could peak earlier than a lot of modelling, government narratives and media have suggested.

It's very strange not being able to taste or smell food.
Try eating a Birds Eye Chilli nut & see if you can taste that. :D

When you say you can't taste does this mean it tastes of nothing or just more bland than usual? Have you had anything hot or spicy that is no longer hot or spicy?

Try eating a Birds Eye Chilli nut & see if you can taste that. :D

When you say you can't taste does this mean it tastes of nothing or just more bland than usual? Have you had anything hot or spicy that is no longer hot or spicy?
There's only a slight residue of a taste so the texture is all there but no real taste. It's weird and I've realised that it's possible to forget a taste very quickly - you bite into something expecting a taste explosion and you get this kind of bland version - and a struggle to remember how it would have tasted, if you get my drift.

I imagine you'd feel the physical burn of a hot curry but not the taste.

Back
Top Bottom