Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1973

Blow Fly responsible for THE jungle drum break, sesame street... 24 secs

As Clarence Reid he was a succesful writer and producer (Sam and Dave, KC and the Sunshine Band) and was also a very early rap artist (Rap Dirty of course). He got dug up by some punks for a pretty rubbish album of punk covers but the documentary about that tour is very telling: he wasn't a very nice man.

I've been listening to him since primary school because my next door neighbour's dad had a bunch of his records but am always a bit wary of sharing here as the lyrical content is obviously way past most people's red lines.

The record I've linked above is one of his two best and regardless of lyrical content is a solid groove throughout.

Last edited:
As Clarence Reid he was a succesful writer and producer (Sam and Dave, KC and the Sunshine Band) and was also a very early rap artist (Rap Dirty of course). He got dug up by some punks for a pretty rubbish album of punk covers but the documentary about that tour is very telling: he wasn't a very nice man.

I've been listening to him since primary school because my next door neighbour's dad had a bunch of his records but am always a bit wary of sharing here as obviously the lyrical content is obviously way past most people's red lines.

The record I've linked above is one of his two best and regardless of lyrical content is a solid groove throughout.
Had a genius drummer that's for sure!!

To be honest I'm going to end up extending the deadline. So we'll say 4pm tomorrow.

My guess going on previous years is that the top spots are going to jazz-funk/soul classics plus that certain punk album.

List just sent.

So difficult, 1973 is an amazingly epic year for releases. Found it hard to get it down to 20.

Which is why there's 23!

Cheers for doing this!

If I've liked what you've sent me that means I've included your list. If you have sent me a list and not received a like speak up!

I haven't sent you a list yet, but I'll try to do one later...

It won't include DSOTM

Annoyingly I immediately recognise the acronym. I have to think for a bit if someone says SAHB. It shows how much it has permeated the culture.

However even though I have a long standing animosity towards it, I sort of recognise that there's a case for it. That case is not to be made by me but I sort of respect those who are bucking the buck the trend trend and voting for it. And there are a few.

Kicking myself for not including this one:

Knotted, would it bugger up your scoring system if I substituted this one at this late stage? It is, after all, a mighty long way down rock n'roll.

Annoyingly I immediately recognise the acronym. I have to think for a bit if someone says SAHB. It shows how much it has permeated the culture.

However even though I have a long standing animosity towards it, I sort of recognise that there's a case for it. That case is not to be made by me but I sort of respect those who are bucking the buck the trend trend and voting for it. And there are a few.
I think we each have a duty to protect the reputation of these boards and not encourage ridicule due to the mindless actions of a few posters.

List just sent.

So difficult, 1973 is an amazingly epic year for releases. Found it hard to get it down to 20.

Which is why there's 23!

Cheers for doing this!

I don't have any rules about the length of the list but I do find if you go much beyond 20 it begins to feel less authentic somehow. Various ones you've missed because you forgot about them or you didn't get round to listening to and would have included etc. start getting more numerous.

Back
Top Bottom