Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1973

Three non-archival studio albums from Sun Ra this year. The various 70's and 80's live albums, and there's a lot of them, are well worth a visit because with June Tyson leading the chants they achieve a certain relevatory joy. There's only one of the studio albums that's really worth your time though and that's Space is the Place. Luckily this one is absolutely fantastic, with an extended side long version of the titular track itself part of the soundtrack and mythology of the movie of the same name. It's an incredible jam.

1690306000812.png

Digging deeper there's also the archival Deep Purple aka Dreams Come True which is a collection of songs more in the swing vein or even a bit of dixieland. It showcases how harmonically odd Ra was and the very peculiar wavelength Ra was on. A really fascinating collection. The Arkestra could whip up a firestorm in this period but there's always a peculiar otherworldly feel to everything he did regardless of style.

1690306441248.png

This is pretty special: Magdalith - Magdalith
Seems to be labeled as avant-folk but there's lots of influences going on in there, with some amazing vocal gymnastics. Quite unique and beautiful.

Discogs, RYM, Wikipedia all have it as 1973

Last edited:
The Chicha sound was spreading from Peru throughout South America in the early 70s, mixing tropical cumbia and Andean huayno with surf and psych rock.

Some albums from '73:

Los Pakines - Los Pakines

Los Destellos – Arrollando

Los Mirlos – El Sonido Selvático

Juaneco y su Combo - Dale Juaneco

But my favourite start to finish album this year is probably Afrosound's Colombian take on it on La Danza De Los Mirlos

Just started listening to this - Mushroom, from Ireland

I'll let you know how I get on.

E2A: oops wrong link (how Irish is that?)

Last edited:
And seeing how it's Sir Mick's 80th today, let's mention Goats Head Soup, Angie is the most famous track off it.
I think it's a decent Stones album.

Little Feet have had a brief mention above, but deserve a longer one. Released maybe their greatest album this year, the wonderful Dixie Chicken.

Lowell George was fucking awesome.

Amen to that. And this is just one of the saddest and loveliest love songs I’ve ever listened to:

I really like Amon Düül II's Vive La Trance. They had retreated from the really far out psych rock they were doing in 69/70 but had developed a sardonic song writing style and could still really rock out. Most would probably cite 1972's Wolf City as the best from this period, but I prefer this. Also check out Jalousie.

1690389659058.png

The Chicha sound was spreading from Peru throughout South America in the early 70s, mixing tropical cumbia and Andean huayno with surf and psych rock.

Some albums from '73:

Los Pakines - Los Pakines

Los Destellos – Arrollando

Los Mirlos – El Sonido Selvático

Juaneco y su Combo - Dale Juaneco

But my favourite start to finish album this year is probably Afrosound's Colombian take on it on La Danza De Los Mirlos

Weird coincidence I was listening/watching this a few weeks ago:

I'm going to say Budgie's Never Turn Your Back on a Friend is the best hard rock album of 1973.
I clicked on play having never knowingly heard Budgie and instantly thought I know this! Of course, what i recognise is Metallica's cover of Breadfan. The kids are out so now I'm blasting it. Great riff. Great tune.

I now seem to be having a Budgie afternoon until the kids get home :cool:

Not had the chance to give this one the full whirl, but it seems like a good bet so far:

Silmaril are another one from the "sorry lads, never heard of you" file, but this psychedelic folk-rock sound is pretty decent.

Two from the Takoma label.

John Fahey - Fare Forward Voyagers (Soldiers Choice)

1690813946127.png

Long pieces from Fahey here. I think he's losing a bit of both the melody and dissonance so it's less interesting to me but its one you can sit back a vibe to.

Peter Lang - The Thing at the Nursery Room Window

1690814149362.png

Lang's a much cleaner guitarist than Fahey and this maybe a lot easier on the ears for some but less interesting to me. Still there's great material on this.

Should probably listen to Aladdin Sane.

Anyway my three big discoveries this year are Planxty, Magdalith and Franco Battiato. Yous should give all three of those a listen.

While people get their votes together, here's an evergreen '73 classic that never stops being relevant, from a band that only ever released two 7"s, but have been sampled on over 800 tracks since.

The Honey Drippers - Impeach the President

Back
Top Bottom