Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1973

Boring side of the cunt.

Music often has significance through associations and that record for me will always be my bully of a big brother with his greasy mullet and double denim sneering at me for listening to 'three minute pop songs'.
Which is why folk shouldn’t denigrate others’ tastes but that seems par for the course in the music forum.

I'm not really familiar enough with Dsotm to know whether I like it or not. Obviously, I've heard bits over the years. I suspect I probably don't like it, but I can't be certain.

I don't think anyone has insulted you (or anyone) for liking it, we've just said we don't like it. Occasionally quite vociferously.
It’s one of those albums that I listened to in a particular time and place and it worked for then and I continued listening to it for a few years but don’t really listen to now. That’s always going to give it a head start against stuff I haven’t heard though. And tbf, I was born at the end of ‘73 so most of it I don’t know. I like Gong also though.

As I was born that year, the lyrics are almost speaking to me, as a baby, how my life could turn out and why. Which also kind of works.

Last edited:
Plan - I'll start the countdown tonight soon and see how far I get and finish it tomorrow (maybe). It's a bit of huge one this year.

This is what the voting looks like by genre

1690996461419.png

So U75 look like you're all about the rock. But am I cunningly lying with statistics?

Any thoughts on the top 3?

Funnel of scores with the breadth of the bar marking the score for the album in question.

1690996790997.png

I recon that's a smooth old funnel meaning it's a close top 40.

30 - Planxty

1691000405661.png

Shamefully I'd never heard of this band before and I don't know it's history. But this is proper unfussy trad folk music - story and telling with great vocal delivery. I now love this. I need more. Also the solos. DAMN.

Back
Top Bottom