Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Also it seems trivial to mention it but Novara's video and audio output has become worse politically as it has improved in technical quality.

It was always a bit wonkish but it is essentially all about the Labour Party now.

true...v easy to get sucked down that path ( probably cul de sac, time will tell) at present :(

Full Auto Lux Comm seems a long time ago now *

(tho i think AB has FULC book out next year, so maybe some diversion from the path of Corbo then )

Last edited:
Also it seems trivial to mention it but Novara's video and audio output has become worse politically as it has improved in technical quality.

It was always a bit wonkish but it is essentially all about the Labour Party now.

Fickle innit? Their whole politics is based on academia and the student milieu.

Once the money dries up or they have to interact with people who aren't in university or haven't had the opportunity, it's nothing but hot air.

(fully acknowledging that i say that as a university dropout...)

Fickle innit? Their whole politics is based on academia and the student milieu.

Once the money dries up or they have to interact with people who aren't in university or haven't had the opportunity, it's nothing but hot air.

(fully acknowledging that i say that as a university dropout...)

AB and Zarb ( if he's counted as Novara ) seem less like straight up posh student types than most other prominent young meejah lefties tbf

Think they've deleted it now - if it's the one I'm thinking of it was someone who'd just got back from fighting Isis in Syria talking about rojava, while wearing a balaclava and doing the washing up.

Yes exactly, interspersed with footage (nicked from someone else, dunno?) from Rojava. It didn't say very much iirc. There was some stuff about people expecting to die and then it being surprise when you don't, which lead on to a few sentences about how they do funerals/martyrs. I would guess that the whole thing was about 4 or 5 minutes tops.

I struggle to get past the bit about 'And while you're boycotting remind them to drop their racist poster boy Paul Mason', tbh. Smacks of the kind of left activism that really turns me off.

I dunno, if there's genuinely been tolerance of sexual misconduct then that's appalling, and I'd expect Novara to act on that, but then also, if I was to set up a politics website I wouldn't expect to have to be spending time policing the behaviour of contributors, and having to sit in judgement on allegations etc, perhaps naively. I dunno, it seems to me that Novara is one of the more successful and interesting of the left new media bubble (despite Bastani being supremely irritating) and it saddens me to see it being trashed, so I'd like to understand what Novara has actually done wrong, and why the steps taken / apology are not seen as good enough.

Mason is shit though.

That red balaclava interview was totally bonkers - even leaving aside any other issues.
That interview appears to be with the same person we were talking about before who was kicked out of the AF for a number of serious sexual assaults - the one who was doing security for the Vanessa Beeley meeting at the marx memorial library. I knew it would be as soon as i heard about this.

I wonder if he'll come back and start posting here again.

Reactions: LDC
That interview appears to be with the same person we were talking about before who was kicked out of the AF for a number of serious sexual assaults - the one who was doing security for the Vanessa Beeley meeting at the marx memorial library. I knew it would be as soon as i heard about this.

I wonder if he'll come back and start posting here again.

Yeah, was just about to say I thought that might be the case. What a nasty fucking shit-politics prick.

[part of post removed - decided the internet didn't need more commentary on the situation]

I've felt for a while that Bastani in particular needed a check on him, and am glad that's happened and some processes been put in place. I doubt it will be the last time he needs it.

Frankly I think it is pretty bad (though unsurprising) that Novara is owned outright by Bastani and I've always felt that would lead to trouble at some point. I think it's a real shame that people haven't taken this opportunity to bring up the issue of organisational structure and ownership. It's boring. I know it's boring. I watch people's eyes fucking glaze over when I mention structure. But if we never talk about who owns what, what kind of politics are we involved in?

Last edited:
Yucky.

aaron galloway.jpg

After all that education and brand building he allows himself and his org to be pulled into this toxic loon's orbit.

Not exactly but I think it relates to Mason's recent pronouncements on immigration post Brexit.

Mason and his politics are shit for a whole host of reasons but racism isn't one of them for Christ's sake. Just shows you how far gone and crazy some on the left have become where unless you're 100% in favour of open borders you're racist, no better than the BNP.:rolleyes: It really is like some on the left want to live up to the loony left stereotype that those on the right cast them as and shows how toxic the influence of identity politics really is.

Mason and his politics are shit for a whole host of reasons but racism isn't one of them for Christ's sake. Just shows you how far gone and crazy some on the left have become where unless you're 100% in favour of open borders you're racist, no better than the BNP.:rolleyes: It really is like some on the left want to live up to the loony left stereotype that those on the right cast them as and shows how toxic the influence of identity politics really is.

I agree but I think there's a risk of quoting the craziest stuff out there on this thread. I think Mason has lost a lot of respect from people but most of them don't think he's racist.

I agree but I think there's a risk of quoting the craziest stuff out there on this thread. I think Mason has lost a lot of respect from people but most of them don't think he's racist.

I agree and there is a lot of real stuff to go on if you want to criticise Mason, not least that disgusting comment he made about the lads from up North who will steal your bike, but no with these twats that is all ok but not the fact that he doesn't support open borders.

I agree and there is a lot of real stuff to go on if you want to criticise Mason, not least that disgusting comment he made about the lads from up North who will steal your bike,
What a sexist bastard. :hmm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom