Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK Votes to Leave EU

So, I understand the reasons that stupid people might have voted Leave - years of being told by The Sun that barmy eurocrats are trying to tell us what our bananas should look like, while foreigners come over and take their jobs.

But why were relatively intelligent pensioners so anti-Europe? Their jobs are clearly not under threat, they benefit from all of the immigrants that populate the health service, and many of them take holidays or own property in Europe. What drove them to be so rabidly in favour of leaving?
Jesus. How long is urban going to be like this for?

Ah good luck! It'll be a wonderful experience :thumbs: Lifes too short to spend it sitting on this soggy island. Might as well spend some time on a humid one in the pacific ;)

This soggy little island was my home for nearly 20 years. Am devestated but yes, time to move on.

But why were relatively intelligent pensioners so anti-Europe? Their jobs are clearly not under threat, they benefit from all of the immigrants that populate the health service, and many of them take holidays or own property in Europe. What drove them to be so rabidly in favour of leaving?
Pension funds and pensioner poverty is going to be a big issue at least in the short term and could go much longer than that. Turkeys voting for Christmas in that regard

So, I understand the reasons that stupid people might have voted Leave - years of being told by The Sun that barmy eurocrats are trying to tell us what our bananas should look like, while foreigners come over and take their jobs.

A lot are retired, own their homes outright, so don't have much at stake, driven partly by nostalgia for better times. Others have no stake in anything, so feel like nothing to lose, and fuck those that put them there. The folks in the middle are the ones that'll take the damage.

(((Middle England)))

They want to see a return to the UK of their youth, when Britain was a glorious, strong, independent world power unfettered by regulations imposed by an overgrown bureaucracy in Brussels, and there was food rationing.

The racists are going to be sorely disappointed when it turns that the referendum result doesn't mean that all the forrins are to be deported post-haste.

The racists are going to be sorely disappointed when it turns that the referendum result doesn't mean that all the forrins are to be deported post-haste.
All the Leave campaigners are super-eager to stress that point on the BBC coverage this morning, that the result means absolutely nothing changes today, and probably not for a very long time.

I do wonder how long it's going to be before we start to hear reports of immigrants being attacked or abused on UK streets as a direct result of the referendum result.

They want to see a return to the UK of their youth, when Britain was a glorious, strong, independent world power unfettered by regulations imposed by an overgrown bureaucracy in Brussels, and there was food rationing.
But at least you could leave you front door open:facepalm:

Yeah I mean it's not like 17m voted Leave is it. Not that there is a correlation between class and Leave votes. That much of that motivation was based on the anger they feel having been attacked for 30+ years by neo-liberalism.

Beetle off with your class shite.

Enjoy isolationist little england; I'm sure you've got what you want - just don't expect the rest of us to dance for joy.

Back
Top Bottom