Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

U75's albums of the year 2007

bluestreak said:
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

51nuL0p7GaL._SS500_.jpg

The funny thing about this album is that none of the people who I know used to love MM voted for the album. So the Mouse have achieved a cross-over success from their indie-obscurist roots and achieved proper mainstream success whilst still being able to play All Tomorrow's Parties. What's that about?

First one that I've voted for. It's a good record, i prefer it to their older stuff.

Incidently, i've also yet to hear Bjork's "Volta". Don't know why i haven't heard it yet, but need to rectify this soon.

May Kasahara said:
Goths don't listen to Interpol! I think you'll find their fans are drippy emo types :p

Interpol - watered down goth for students who can't handle REAL goth.

then.

May Kasahara said:
Goths don't listen to Interpol! I think you'll find their fans are drippy emo types :p
We have a fan at work, so I've heard a lot of them. Do not like at all.

Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

61Da9%2BBzf9L._SS400_.jpg

Another one of those bands who have previously featured on the chart - Urbanites love 'em innit. Electro-folk oddness that isn't really either electronica or folk, charming without being twee, bloody clever without being unlistenable. A damn good band.

bluestreak said:
Interpol - Our Love To Admire

Boring fact: The highest ranked album I haven't listened to. So I'll let one of its supporters do it. May Kasahara "
Yes, yes, yes, I know. Lots of people don't rate this album, again. But it is quintessentially Interpol, and for everything that that entails, I love it."
:eek:
I'm shocked.
It's an offensively bad album that does a terrible injustice to their previous two.
I mean, I kind of liked it a bit because I really quite like Interpol, but it's really not terribly good :(

perplexis said:
:eek:
I'm shocked.
It's an offensively bad album that does a terrible injustice to their previous two.
I mean, I kind of liked it a bit because I really quite like Interpol, but it's really not terribly good :(

I'm shocked that you're shocked :p

Everyone likes different things, innit. Rinsing breakcore makes me wish I had a gun.

Bjork - Volta

41ZyQBb8OtL._SS500_.jpg

Urban, I have rarely been more disappointed with you. How this one isn't even top ten I don't know. Quite frankly it's her best work to date, and the direction she's taken (making her work abrasive and militaristic) has refiltered her old stuff and made it even bloody better, as anyone who saw her at Glastonbury will tell you.

May Kasahara said:
I'm shocked that you're shocked :p

Everyone likes different things, innit. Rinsing breakcore makes me wish I had a gun.
I'm shocked you're shocked I'm shocked !!!1!
I just thought it was so much worse than they can do it made me sad :( <-- like this, only with a little tear...

I'm shocked Bjork is this low. I haven't heard it yet, but have heard very positive things. Maybe it's due to people like me that are lazy and just haven't bothered yet.

bluestreak said:
Clarification: I LOVE White Blood Cells, and my language choice was poor. What I meant was that when their stuff doesn't always work as well as WBC it's still a good idea.

You are forgiven.

Proceed.

bluestreak said:
Bjork - Volta

41ZyQBb8OtL._SS500_.jpg

Urban, I have rarely been more disappointed with you. How this one isn't even top ten I don't know. Quite frankly it's her best work to date, and the direction she's taken (making her work abrasive and militaristic) has refiltered her old stuff and made it even bloody better, as anyone who saw her at Glastonbury will tell you.

I am very, very ashamed to say that I have had this downloaded since about a week before it came out and have listened to it - in the background - just once.

:oops:

bluestreak said:
Bjork - Volta

12? That is bloody disgusting.

*holds bees*

Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!

51ycNY5J6WL._SS500_.jpg

Gypsy Punks was released in 2005 and featured on the charts of maybe three urbanites. In 2006 it would have placed if I hadn't had to disqualify it! Taranta is a good record, though I don't think it's a great one - I get the feeling someone is telling them to play up the wacky. However, they continue to be a superb live band, and managed to make the Glastonbury crowd forget the mud for 40 minutes back in June. Go and see them in a small venue if you can, in intimate surroundings they rule. If you can't, go and see them anyway, they're fucking awesome!

Justice - ┼
31cplnMj%2BjL._SS500_.jpg

Justice are a godsend to DJs. Their remixes are generally dancefloor fillers that are also (and here's the rub) damn good tunes. So it's no surprise that this album was voted for by a lot of people. Do I really need to describe their electro noise? Well, it's like people in Hoxton listened to a couple of years ago before they were all pretending to have been into dubstep before you were in to dubstep, but better.

Back
Top Bottom