Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Twitter Alternatives

Anyone been back on threads since they logged in the first time to see what it was like because why not, got an Instagram account after all so it's easy? No, me neither.

Anyone been back on threads since they logged in the first time to see what it was like because why not, got an Instagram account after all so it's easy? No, me neither.
I’ve been on there regularly since it opened to the public, much nicer than Twitter, more active than BlueSky…

I go on Threads a bit. It's quieter (in every sense) than Twitter, but there's enough going on of interest to keep me checking in (unlike Mastodon).

I'm all set up on Bluesky, but not posting/following yet.

I check twitter, threads and mastodon irregularly. The action is mainly still on twitter though.

Somoene who made an aggregator for all these things (that eliminsted dupllicate posts across platforms) could probably clean up.

My guess is that Twitter will need to become way more unusable than it already is for the other platforms to seem essential. (Tweetdeck is no longer free, so there is that....)

I go on Threads a bit. It's quieter (in every sense) than Twitter, but there's enough going on of interest to keep me checking in (unlike Mastodon).

I'm all set up on Bluesky, but not posting/following yet.
I still use Mastodon a bit and it's more wholesome than twitter for sure. It is quieter but when there's not enough in my follow feed or local feed I have a look at the global feed and often find something interesting I wouldn't have normally read.

I got an invite to the blue sky and it’s ok if a bit quiet, probably much the same as early twatter

Mastodon looks like to much effort to find anything on or get comfy with and I only use Insta because it’s got no competitors so I am not fucking using Threads

I used Twitter a lot but never was very attached to it. Other than getting irritating ads in replies I didn't find it turning into a hellsite of fash or anything but I just wanted to stop using because of Musk.

Threads is working pretty well but I'm using it more like a cross between Urban and how I used to use FB. Twitter I guess I used mainly to hear various voices and find interesting articles. It's plenty lively once you find the right people (or should I say the left people). But it needs tags, which I am sure they are working on; I want to find more people talking about race stuff, feminism etc at the moment I've plugged into the leftie and lgbtq+ side and some random stuff but not much else.

Annoyingly it seems to log you out after a period of inactivity - whereas with twitter you could keep browser tabs open indefinitely. Can't see a setting to override that.

It seems to have fixed the logging out issue now which is good. I also fucked up adding the e-mail address I'd registered with but sent a message to their support people and they advised that users will have the functionality to do that in future releases.

I detest what Twitter has become and I really want it to die.

However, I have many people who I know solely through Twitter and I'll be sad to lose contact with them.

Twitter has, in the past, been extremely useful. I've helped people out who've asked for help and I've been helped many times via Twitter also. In fact on Wednesday I'm meeting the Mayor of Worcester because he messaged me on Twitter and asked if I wanted to meet "for a chat"...

I feel hypocritical for saying I detest Twitter and yet I'm still using it*.

* although using it really not very much at all these days.

I detest what Twitter has become and I really want it to die.

However, I have many people who I know solely through Twitter and I'll be sad to lose contact with them.

Twitter has, in the past, been extremely useful. I've helped people out who've asked for help and I've been helped many times via Twitter also. In fact on Wednesday I'm meeting the Mayor of Worcester because he messaged me on Twitter and asked if I wanted to meet "for a chat"...

I feel hypocritical for saying I detest Twitter and yet I'm still using it*.

* although using it really not very much at all these days.
Very much how I feel. I very very rarely post anything, but it is where all the non-league football news goes on.
It's useful for me, for that alone. But I think I'm going to dump it now (again).

likewise - there's still a lot of people / organisations on tweeter that don't seem to have moved anywhere else yet, and i'm reluctant to abandon it just quite yet.

there's maybe half a dozen people i know who have moved to bluesky, and a similar sort of number to mastodon (and that includes about 3 who are on both) and neither has got the critical mass yet.

meh.

hmm

not sure if the bluesky thing is going to take off. most of the people i know who have gone there have basically just set a placeholder and not much else.

i've offered an invite code on teh tweeter a week ago, offered it again yesterday and no takers.

so if anyone else wants an invite code after that sales pitch, do let me know...

Threads has just taken a big stride towards usability - you can now search for stuff. I think it's probably missed its chance now though.

It also allows a proper chronological feed of just people you follow now - though it's not obvious, you have to tap the home button again to reveal the "for you" vs "following" tab bar.

Threads has just taken a big stride towards usability - you can now search for stuff. I think it's probably missed its chance now though.
I still can't work out why Threads won't have hashtags. I barely used search on Twitter but hashtags kept me in touch with the stuff I was interested in. I thought it might be a legal/copyright thing but they've got them on Instagram.

I still can't work out why Threads won't have hashtags. I barely used search on Twitter but hashtags kept me in touch with the stuff I was interested in. I thought it might be a legal/copyright thing but they've got them on Instagram.
I assume they will do at some point, as they are planning to be linked into the mastodon network and that uses hashtags.

Back
Top Bottom