Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Twitter/X discussion

I just downloaded it. How does it work? I automatically followed everyone I follow on Instagram but it seems to be a stream of random accounts?

that's the problem I have with Bluesky, that and not knowing how to change things.

I follow a bunch of niche topic accounts (cycling, city planning, architecture, spaceflight) plus some podcasters/artists/musicians etc. whose work I enjoy. My Following feed is lovely and my For You feed is mostly more of the same. When it's not I use the "not interested" thing to make it go away. Seems to work well.

EDIT: to be clear, this is on twitter, which is still where people are. I guess my principles aren't strong enough to leave just because the owner is such a flagrant asshole (as opposed to the more private assholery of Zuckerberg etc.).

Last edited:
I just downloaded it. How does it work? I automatically followed everyone I follow on Instagram but it seems to be a stream of random accounts?
Try switching between 'For You' and 'Following' on the tabs at the top.

In terms of getting the algorithm to work for you, a lot of people introduce themselves with a thread listing some of their interests. If it works (and it usually does) you should find that your timeline becomes relevant.

That's my experience, anyhow.
All algorithms do weird shit so ymmv etc but the Threads one doesn't seem to aim unwanted right-wing hatespeech at you as much as X.

Try switching between 'For You' and 'Following' on the tabs at the top.

In terms of getting the algorithm to work for you, a lot of people introduce themselves with a thread listing some of their interests. If it works (and it usually does) you should find that your timeline becomes relevant.

That's my experience, anyhow.
All algorithms do weird shit so ymmv etc but the Threads one doesn't seem to aim unwanted right-wing hatespeech at you as much as X.

Great, thank you so much

People using and enabling a system owned by a Nazi, actively developed for supporting Nazis, an unsurprisingly full of Nazis:

"But you're using it wrong!"

Think about it, and put it in the fucking bin.

I see Twitter users today as dumb fucks that are able to brush it's racist owner's bullshit to one side just so they can get their football transfer rumours, memes, or whatever fuck else shite they cannot live withoiut even for 5 minutes.

Hehe, glad I got this off my chest.

People using and enabling a system owned by a Nazi, actively developed for supporting Nazis, an unsurprisingly full of Nazis:

"But you're using it wrong!"

Think about it, and put it in the fucking bin.
I used it before it was owned by a Nazi and I'm fucked if I'll be pushed off it by one. We just let them walk in and take what they want now?

I used it before it was owned by a Nazi and I'm fucked if I'll be pushed off it by one. We just let them walk in and take what they want now?

They have walked in, they have taken what they want.

Staying just makes them stronger now. Resistance would be to leave and make them weaker.

I find interesting content about motorcycles and motorcycle racing. Lots of clips.

Then I also find plenty of amusing content.

I don't do politics on x/twitter, if any finds its way into my feed it is quickly removed.

I see Twitter users today as dumb fucks that are able to brush it's racist owner's bullshit to one side just so they can get their football transfer rumours, memes, or whatever fuck else shite they cannot live withoiut even for 5 minutes.

Hehe, glad I got this off my chest.
Russia is China's largest oil supplier.
Was anything you own made in China?
Are people who buy Chinese goods dumb fucks?
Are you going to throw out everything you own that was made in China or has Chinese components, or are you going to continue to support Putin?

Russia is China's largest oil supplier.
Was anything you own made in China?
Are people who buy Chinese goods dumb fucks?
Are you going to throw out everything you own that was made in China or has Chinese components, or are you going to continue to support Putin?
I mean, it's all a matter of perspective. I tend to think that systems designed to capture as much of your attention as possible for the purpose of selling them to advertisers are not a great thing in the first place, so when I see people explaining their continued xtwitterx usage, it kind of reads to me like going "I don't see any reason to stop using the machine that pumps shit directly into my eyes just because the machine is owned by a fascist now!" Obviously my perspective is not everyone's, though.

I mean, it's all a matter of perspective. I tend to think that systems designed to capture as much of your attention as possible for the purpose of selling them to advertisers are not a great thing in the first place, so when I see people explaining their continued xtwitterx usage, it kind of reads to me like going "I don't see any reason to stop using the machine that pumps shit directly into my eyes just because the machine is owned by a fascist now!" Obviously my perspective is not everyone's, though.
I don't do xhitter, bookface, tic-tac, etc. I think they're soul destroying, but I wouldn't accuse those who choose to use them of being 'dumb fucks'. My mother uses bookface, and I wouldn't call her a dumb fuck..
People have their reasons for being on those sites, and the older I get, the less I care about their choices.

I don't do xhitter, bookface, tic-tac, etc. I think they're soul destroying, but I wouldn't accuse those who choose to use them of being 'dumb fucks'. My mother uses bookface, and I wouldn't call her a dumb fuck..
People have their reasons for being on those sites, and the older I get, the less I care about their choices.
Fair enough, it's not a term I would've used myself either.

I don't plan to stop using x/twitter.

The alternatives involve giving money to various other billionaires.

I don't plan to stop using x/twitter.

The alternatives involve giving money to various other billionaires.
I mean, that's true if you define the alternatives as "post on xtwitterx or post on bluesky or post on threads", but less so if you look at the alternatives as "post on xtwitterx or go for a walk or have a nap or stroke a cat". And yeah, I don't even think it's true for Mastodon/the federated system of independent servers that people refer to as Mastodon as a form of shorthand, as above.

Xhitter is not just a bar that got took over by a random mob of fash knuckleheads, whom you might conceivably force out and reclaim. Xhitter is the bar that got bought and is now owned by a wealthy Nazi who is giving preferential moderation treatment to all of his shitty fellow goose-steppers.

I had mastodon but don’t really understand the whole server thing, like how do I know what server is best for me?

It doesn't really matter. The default mastodon.social is fine.

I joined mas.to because it has a short name and is based in the UK, but it didn't affect the experience particularly.

If you have iOS I do recommend the Mammoth app over the default one as it's a bit easier to find interesting stuff, but the default app is also just fine.

I had mastodon but don’t really understand the whole server thing, like how do I know what server is best for me?

Search by region or interest.

You can still follow people on different servers.

I had a short-lived Twitter account and then a short-lived Mastodon account but this type of fast-moving social media just make feel down, maybe I don't know how to use it. It was embarrassing watching people "market themselves" and trying to get crumbs of attention from famous accounts, and the bite-sized nature of interactions made it hard to establish relationships, it was more like broadcasting to a crowd. Just cringey all-around.

I also think that Twitter users massively overestimate the importance of their platform and live in a constant fomo trap. Maybe some manage to use it in healthier ways but I'm yet to see a good example.

Back
Top Bottom