Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are you leaving Twitter?

I tried using it and had a list of people who were supposedly worth following, found the format weird to begin with, got much more used to forum type from here so reddit was the more natural addition, downvotes usually hide the worst opinions. Of course they now fucked up all the third party apps for that so swings and roundabouts. This place is about the only forum I have found where its actually reasonable and hasn't done something ridiculously stupid at some point and doesn't have reddits tendency to have some tedious repetitive format for responses to things in amongst useful stuff.
same - I just look at the old-style front page and rarely bother signing in. I do find it slightly strange though that the threads that come up only really change after a day or so. I suppose it goes by the total number of posts that day rather than urban where they're constantly changing as people post. Urban's a lot more satisfying in that respect.

The Twitter client I was using finally broke a month or 2 ago. The official one is apparently not all that great and reading it in a web browser is tedious. I didn't tweet much but have not been on for several weeks now.

As soon as I have blocked 10000 accounts or if something else happens first that makes Twitter unusable, such as paid subs or banning blocking.
I rarely see any hate speech on there as I don’t go looking for it and I tend not to read replies to the people I follow - I’m not interested in what they say, so why read below the line?
Of course, sometimes someone will retweet some nonsense from Laurence Fox or Allison Pearson and I will occasionally stoop to mocking them or insulting them, but the worst stuff is from bots or nobodies, which are very easy to ignore

Left Twitter by accident; last year I got a notification that my Twit password had been data breached, so I changed it to something very complicated and unmemorable. Forgot it the next day and couldn't log in. I suppose I could've contacted them to prove I was me and get a new password etc, but couldn't be arsed. Initially my account was locked, now I think they've deleted it.

Can't say I miss it.

I left Facebook over a year ago. Can’t say I miss it. I have a Twitter account mostly so I can check if trains are running as that seems the optimal way of finding out. Other than that I don’t really read much or engage on there.

Left Twitter by accident; last year I got a notification that my Twit password had been data breached, so I changed it to something very complicated and unmemorable. Forgot it the next day and couldn't log in. I suppose I could've contacted them to prove I was me and get a new password etc, but couldn't be arsed. Initially my account was locked, now I think they've deleted it.

Can't say I miss it.
I did something similar with Facebook. Impossible to get back in which seems a bit of a flaw. Mainly as of quite like to delete all the old content now.

It’s getting more inconvenient to block advertised tweets now. You have to go to the specific account to block it instead of blocking accounts in your feed. I wish people would settle on just one alternative to Twitter so I can permanently jump ship.

Bluesky is pretty boring, apolitical, very middle class and very liberal with a small l. Although it is gradually improving.

One of the first things i posted on there was a current headline from the Daily Mail, no link mind, just the headline, and got told off by some middle class arse for bringing negativity into Bluesky.

It’s getting more inconvenient to block advertised tweets now. You have to go to the specific account to block it instead of blocking accounts in your feed. I wish people would settle on just one alternative to Twitter so I can permanently jump ship.
What adverts? I don't see any adverts.

Bluesky is pretty boring, apolitical, very middle class and very liberal with a small l. Although it is gradually improving.

One of the first things i posted on there was a current headline from the Daily Mail, no link mind, just the headline, and got told off by some middle class arse for bringing negativity into Bluesky.
There's UK politics which isn't too bad. I just dip in occasionally and don't post although there were a series of posts about Starmer being 'radical' which I was tempted by.

There's UK politics which isn't too bad. I just dip in occasionally and don't post although there were a series of posts about Starmer being 'radical' which I was tempted by.
I struggle to find much on there as the search function is appalling. And my timeline is sterile as fuck. For some reason i see a lot of US politics. Don't see much UK stuff at all.

I don't search but just subscribed to UK Politics - there's a FridgeMagnet there :eek: who's just posted:

"‘Formby’s email reveals that of the two hundred cases ‘put in’ by Margaret Hodge, only twenty instances concerned Labour members – the rest of Ms Hodge’s examples concerned people who had no link to the Labour Party.’"

Not sure which Formby's email this is though.

Advertised tweets from accounts you don’t follow
Ah I see - or rather I don't since I use the 'Control Panel For Twitter' add-on. Available for the major browsers on desktop and for many on mobile (although I have no experience of using it on mobile). Obviously won't work with the 'X app' of course.

Gets rid of adverts if you choose that option. You can also choose to remove from view such items as the 'for you' timeline, the trending sidebar, 'recommended for you' etc. You can even get rid of the X-branding. Here's my x-twitter experience a minute or two ago.

Screencap of de-cluttered x-twitter interface

screencap of the 'Control Panel for Twitter' addon options

Ah I see - or rather I don't since I use the 'Control Panel For Twitter' add-on. Available for the major browsers on desktop and for many on mobile (although I have no experience of using it on mobile). Obviously won't work with the 'X app' of course.

Gets rid of adverts if you choose that option. You can also choose to remove from view such items as the 'for you' timeline, the trending sidebar, 'recommended for you' etc. You can even get rid of the X-branding. Here's my x-twitter experience a minute or two ago.

dac3VrM.png

PwKSLna.png
does that work on an iphone? I prefer to confine twitter to just one place

According to the Github page for the project the Safari version of the addon works on iphone and ipad.

GitHub - insin/control-panel-for-twitter: Browser extension which gives you more control over your Twitter timeline and adds missing features and UI improvements - available for desktop and mobile browsers

Links to the various browser app stores on that page.
Yeah, thanks. Just checked in the App Store and it’s a fiver. Very reluctant to pay for any app though, especially if it’s going to extend a reliance on Xitter

Yeah, thanks. Just checked in the App Store and it’s a fiver. Very reluctant to pay for any app though, especially if it’s going to extend a reliance on Xitter
Hmmm - it's free for firefox and chrome. (Not clear it works on the versions of them for iphone/ipad however). Clearly the developers figure all you iphone users are rolling in it :D

Hmmm - it's free for firefox and chrome. (Not clear it works on the versions of them for iphone/ipad however). Clearly the developers figure all you iphone users are rolling in it :D
Only for the browsers. So if you use the app on an iphone, it’ll cost you

I don't search but just subscribed to UK Politics
That would concern me - on Twitter politics meant a whole bunch of racism and transphobia - and i had carefully select those i would follow so as not to end up with a timeline of hateful crap. Nor do I want all the Labour v Tory nonsense, which is pretty much irrelevant to my life. Maybe I'll just have to grit my teeth and go for it.

There/s none of the racism or transphobia that I've seen on there. A lot is labour/tory nonsense but that's to be expected, and not all is. As I say I just read them and have hardly posted yet.

I came off Twitter and deleted my account last July and don't really miss it. Been using Threads which doesn't work brilliantly as UX, but is a really nice community and I get so much more interaction there than I ever did on Twitter, where my average post got 0 responses or maybe one like. On threads regularly get lots of interactions and actual replies/conversations. I was never on Twitter for arguments/friends/breaking news so Threads still gives me what I did get from it (links to interesting stuff) plus actual community and interaction that I never got from Twitter. People are good at ignoring trolls but it can be a bit of a lefty echo-chamber, so I stay mindful of that.

Some time last year I received a warning to the effect that my Twitter/X password was weak and vulnerable to a data breach. Sensibly, I changed it to something a lot more complex and random. Less sensibly, I didn’t make a note of the new password, and as a result was locked out of my Twit a/c until after a few months the account was deleted. Can’t say I miss it

Back
Top Bottom