Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Twitter Alternatives

I'm giving Threads a go.

Seems OK so far. I don't know what Elon Musk has done to Twitter but my timeline just doesn't have my friends in it any more. The funny stuff seems to have gone and has been replaced by Lawrence Fox types.

So no idea whether 'something similar but by Mark Zuckerberg' will be any better but atm it's easy to use and like-minded types seem to be finding each other easily enough.

Waves to Stig and Lazy Llama 👋
You can change between "for you" and "following" on the Twitter app, the latter being people you follow in chronological order. Iirc on desktop there's a setting for this and it sometimes turns itself back to "for you" which is annoying but, to be fair, not something Musk did.

You can't do that at all on Threads, you get random shit (usually followers but not always) in the order that the app thinks you should get it, like Instagram unsurprisingly.

...if you’re sick of Meta’s data-gobbling ways, or you don’t already have an Instagram account and don’t want to get one, you actually have some leverage: Don’t join Threads. Use Mastodon or another ActivityPub platform until Threads comes to you

spitfire That does make it better, but there are still quite a lot of randoms.

I assume that’s teething problems or me not following enough people though.

It’s already more fun than mastodon…

Also I did read that you can deactivate (I.e. not actually delete) your Threads account and leave your Insta intact.

You can change between "for you" and "following" on the Twitter app, the latter being people you follow in chronological order. Iirc on desktop there's a setting for this and it sometimes turns itself back to "for you" which is annoying but, to be fair, not something Musk did.
The problem is that Twitter dicked about with the settings so much that the people I follow don't seem so active these days. And that, in turn, meant I wasn't so active ... and so it goes on.

If Threads prompts Twitter to sort it out and get it back to how it was, I'd go back - I really enjoyed it in its heyday - but it's become pretty boring now.

If Threads prompts Twitter to sort it out and get it back to how it was, I'd go back - I really enjoyed it in its heyday - but it's become pretty boring now.
It won't - Twitter was copying Insta when doing that. Similarly Threads will never offer you an easy "just show me what the people I follow post in chronological order" option.

Whatever happened to Diaspora? I think that is what it was called. A Facebook alternative from a few years back.

1688689797999.png

Aww :( looks like Threads is doing something right at least.

Not sure what's happening but I tried to give the alt text (warning for someone trying to follow right winger that they post false information) but no text box comes up.

Similarly Threads will never offer you an easy "just show me what the people I follow post in chronological order" option.
Thing is, I do want a feed that throws up the odd random that makes me laugh/has an interesting take on things. Twitter used to have that but, for me at least, that seems to have gone. So I've become less active on it, less interested.

There's every chance that Threads may well be the same but I'll give it a go for a bit, see how it goes.

Musk is crying about it already :thumbs:

In a letter to CEO Mark Zuckerberg, first published by the news outlet Semafor, a lawyer for Twitter said the company “has serious concerns that Meta Platforms (Meta) has engaged in systematic, willful and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property”.

“Twitter intends to strictly enforce its intellectual property rights, and demands that Meta take immediate steps to stop using any Twitter trade secrets or other highly confidential information,” Alex Spiro wrote in the letter.

Twitter claims in the cease-and-desist that Meta has poached dozens of former employees in the past year, some of whom “had and continue to have access to Twitter’s trade secrets and other highly confidential information” and “many” of whom have “improperly” kept Twitter documents or electronic devices.

“With that knowledge, Meta deliberately assigned these employees to develop, in a matter of months, Meta’s copycat ‘Threads’ app with the specific intent that they use Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property in order to accelerate the development of Meta’s competing app, in violation of both state and federal law as well as those employees’ ongoing obligations to Twitter,” the letter reads.

Now where have a read about such a cease-and-desist order, based on similar claims, before?

Oh yeah, that's what vBulletin did to xenForo, years of complex legal action, and one can only assume xF won, as vB withdrew the lawsuit.

Internet Brands announced that it would file a lawsuit against the XenForo team in the UK, claiming: copyright infringement of property acquired by Internet Brands, use of code in XenForo that was refactored from vBulletin code, breach of contract, and engaging in unfair business practices. Representatives stated that XenForo "unfairly stands on the shoulders of more than a decade of development", development which had become the property of Internet Brands through the acquisition.

In November 2010, Internet Brands sued XenForo and [Mike] Darby in California District Court in the United States, additionally claiming that Darby had not returned confidential information from Internet Brands regarding the vBulletin software. The XenForo team denied the claims.

On February 28, 2013, XenForo announced that the lawsuit had been settled between the parties in both the UK and the US. Although specific terms of the agreement are confidential, Internet Brands withdrew both the US and UK lawsuits.

Wiki link.

ETA - They did indeed win.

Grace+Grace LLP, a Southern California law firm of intellectual property trial attorneys, has secured an important victory for its clients XenForo Limited and founders Ashley Busby, Kier Darby, and Michael Sullivan in their long-running dispute with Internet Brands, Inc. and its vBulletin software subsidiaries.

After more than two years of litigation before a Los Angeles federal court and the English High Court of Justice in London, England, the parties have reached a confidential settlement agreement dismissing all of vBulletin Solutions, Inc.’s and Jelsoft Enterprises Limited’s claims. LINK

Last edited:
Maybe if Musk hadn’t sacked two-thirds of his employees, they wouldn’t have got jobs elsewhere?

Meta have said that no former Twitter employees are working on Threads, which is what you would expect, given this response is entirely predictable - they will have made sure that Threads was clean-room.

Dorsey’s Bluesky is still in restricted beta, Threads Fediverse-compatibility is “coming soon”, and with Twitter apparently being deliberately crippled by the owner, it’s an interesting time for text-oriented discussion.

As long as I can read Fesshole, I reckon I can live with any of then. 😄

What threads needs is some sort of tool to follow everyone who I already follow on twitter, who now has a threads account - because I really CBA to manually search and populate approximately 2.7k twitter accounts I follow.

For now I've mainly added news ones like Sky, BBC, ITV, Bloomberg, CNN and a few friends which it clearly pulled from my IG account but there are literally hundreds of others I've no idea if they're on it. First impressions though are fairly underwhelming. It needs stuff like tweet alerts, and some equivalent of tweetdeck and obviously way more people if I'm going to switch from Twitter.

Can't you let them know your name on Threads surreptitiously like so they can follow you, and encourage them to do the same?

Back
Top Bottom