Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Twitter Alternatives

hmm

not sure if the bluesky thing is going to take off. most of the people i know who have gone there have basically just set a placeholder and not much else.

i've offered an invite code on teh tweeter a week ago, offered it again yesterday and no takers.

so if anyone else wants an invite code after that sales pitch, do let me know...

I'm on bluesky now and feels like its missed the boat. Which should be indicated by me being on it I suppose. Threads I've let slide, but that has the inbuilt advantage of being part of the instagram ecosystem, bit of leeway there. Leaving aside the personalities/activities of the various owners obviously.

Weirdly find myself back on facebook sometimes, just because the groups system can be quite useful.

i now have two bluesky invite codes, and i still can't give them away

i know you can't actually mention bluesky on teh tweeter so was very slightly cryptic...

i now have two bluesky invite codes, and i still can't give them away

i know you can't actually mention bluesky on teh tweeter so was very slightly cryptic...
I’ve found the same, six months ago they were gold dust now they just rack up…

So which platform are 'we' gravitating towards Urbs? I have Mastodon and BlueSky accounts and rarely use either because I still go to X :rolleyes: because that's where most stuff still is. Plus Tumblr and Insta but I took instagram off my phone years ago because it's made of timewaste and lifesuck, innit.
DWon't do FB.

I'm not using Threads due to their data privacy/DMA bollocks. Ho Hum.

Are the large organisations you followed on Twitter on the alternative platform you've moved to? BBC, Guardian, Urban (obvs), etc and the people you follow - are they there or have they fucked it off as a bad job? I follow a load of authors, for example, where are they going?

Only just signed up for bluesky and reasonably impressed - I like the customisable feeds, and it seems more active than Threads. I think it's the most likely of the alternatives to be successful if they open it up to everyone.

For anyone on Bluesky, you might want to have a look at SkyFeed It's a bit like TweetDeck for Bluesky. You can create your own custom feeds, although you need to know Regular Expressions (RegEx) to get the best out of it.

Threads seems to have picked up the most of the Education types I interact with - and has the bonus of wiping the legacy follower counts of any of the r/w influencers with the.ear if the DfE. It is pretty quiet though and I'm not 100% sold on its UI.

Bluesky is very quiet, but what it is lacking in quantity it seems to be making up for in quality.

I've ditched Mastodon (and Spoutible and Post and...) - too much like hard work.

Twitter is still where the (in)action is, but definitely feels like it's living on borrowed time.

You do sometimes on reddit get stories that you'd just not see elsewhere

although I was expecting something a bit more William Morris

Mastodon has just got a whole load of improvements, including better onboarding, better cross-instance behaviour, and searchable posts - though you have to opt-in. These are all things people have been gagging for. It has also had a lot of under the hood improvements and seems to load faster now. The only big thing they haven't done is implement quote tweets. If they can do that before Musk starts charging I think they could collect a lot more users.

I've made a Bluesky but finding it a bit difficult to find people to follow so far. All the feeds seem to be very America based.

I wouldn't mind one.

My main Twitter 13 year old account got blocked due to one post. :facepalm:. They don't mess around!

I've made a Bluesky but finding it a bit difficult to find people to follow so far. All the feeds seem to be very America based.

I had similar. I went through some people I liked following list to expand my follow list.

IYSWIM…

Still pretty thin on the ground though.

I just tried Threads and there‘s quite a few people from my Twitter feed I could follow but it seems hardly anyone has actually posted anything yet.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying Blue Sky. It does skew American right now, but there are lots of interesting people posting and it reminds me a lot of Twitter before my feed became really toxic.

Threads seems to have picked up the most of the Education types I interact with - and has the bonus of wiping the legacy follower counts of any of the r/w influencers with the.ear if the DfE. It is pretty quiet though and I'm not 100% sold on its UI.

Bluesky is very quiet, but what it is lacking in quantity it seems to be making up for in quality.

I've ditched Mastodon (and Spoutible and Post and...) - too much like hard work.

Twitter is still where the (in)action is, but definitely feels like it's living on borrowed time.
that r/w edu crowd was one of the reasons i nuked my account. spent far too much time worrying abt ppl who are of no meaning to me. still sometimes get the itch to scroll and read weird and wild opinions but urban serves that purpose nicely!

hmm

not sure if the bluesky thing is going to take off. most of the people i know who have gone there have basically just set a placeholder and not much else.

i've offered an invite code on teh tweeter a week ago, offered it again yesterday and no takers.

so if anyone else wants an invite code after that sales pitch, do let me know...
I tried to join a couple of times to no avail. I assume it’s like Facebook when it started..you need an invite code. I’m reluctant to ask my sister..I don’t know why ;)

I tried to join a couple of times to no avail. I assume it’s like Facebook when it started..you need an invite code. I’m reluctant to ask my sister..I don’t know why ;)

i'm just in the process of logging off everything and going to bed.

i'll bat you an invite code in the morning whenever i wake up

(i did manage to find a home for one of them this afternoon somewhere else)

i'm just in the process of logging off everything and going to bed.

i'll bat you an invite code in the morning whenever i wake up

(i did manage to find a home for one of them this afternoon somewhere else)
Thank you! Although the Groucho Marx “I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.” Quote comes to mind ;)

Back
Top Bottom