Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Leadership contest 2022

Have you seen what she actually says ? She says vote for me if you’re fed up of being called a racist sexist old bastard, I hate all that too, ignore the woke snowflakes who are bringing this great country down etc.
Those people will love her I think. She’s offering them absolution of a kind .
It would appear that there's a fair amount of appealing to the lowest common denominator going on:

Michael Gove says he's team Kemi. So is The Spectator & the Express.
Still dont think she will win this but she won't go away either.

I see Patel has formally announced that she isnt standing.
I remember seeing a Tory member poll a few weeks ago, on HIGNFY I think, showing she was by far the least popular member of the cabinet with them. Whether whoever wins gives her a job remains to be seen.

Michael Gove says he's team Kemi. So is The Spectator & the Express.
Still dont think she will win this but she won't go away either.

if it ends up as her vs Sunak I think she might; all of the important Johnson backers (so donors and media types rather than JRM and Dorries) will pile on in and insinuate that they'll pull their money out if Sunak wins

if it ends up as her vs Sunak I think she might; all of the important Johnson backers (so donors and media types rather than JRM and Dorries) will pile on in and insinuate that they'll pull their money out if Sunak wins
because of her small state cut everything to the bone thing do you mean?

Badenoch will be able, and urged, to unleash wave after wave of culture war wedge issues (to distract from the slash and burn) and they'll delight in the "You can't say it's racist or sexist, she's a black woman! Ha! You're the real racist" they can wheel out in their defence.

I'm thinking, based on nothing much, that Tory MPs won't want to let Badenoch get to the members' vote stage. But her being in the running, and gaining some traction with her GB News schtick, is only going to encourage other candidates to follow suit.

The eight are:

Kemi Badenoch (Saffron Walden)
Suella Braverman (Fareham)
Jeremy Hunt (South West Surrey)
Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North)
Rishi Sunak (Richmond (Yorks))
Liz Truss (South West Norfolk)
Tom Tugendhat (Tonbridge and Malling)
Nadhim Zahawi (Stratford-on-Avon)

It seems almost like a Republican Party nomination, really.

In the US primaries Republicans are wheeled out before the membership to do the crazy dance, trying to outflank one another from the right on every issue, then governing in a less obviously crazy way (well, until Trump).

The ongoing tedious chasing after a cultural war wraith ("woke"), Braverman's deranged and illegal proposals on ECHR, Rishi, Sajid et al basically telling lies about who they are and where they came from.

Radio 4 this evening seemed to be suggesting (that weird onion-domed alien lookalike Evan Davies is so, well chummy with all the Tories - no surprise for a Friedmanite flat-earther) that it was Rishi v AN Other. So whoever AN Other is I guess gets to consign Rishi to the Michael Heseltine fate.

The ex-army officers aren't doing as well as I thought and Mordaunt being talked up by the lazy buffoon David Davis. We're through the looking glass when this reality-averse clownshoes gets to pose as a sage elder statesman.

The eight are:

Kemi Badenoch (Saffron Walden)
Suella Braverman (Fareham)
Jeremy Hunt (South West Surrey)
Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North)
Rishi Sunak (Richmond (Yorks))
Liz Truss (South West Norfolk)
Tom Tugendhat (Tonbridge and Malling)
Nadhim Zahawi (Stratford-on-Avon)
The 'Tory eight', if you will.

View attachment 331948

Conservative Home poll today...
I am surprised & don't understand why they aren't loving the Truss more.
She's not scoring much higher than "Other(Please name)" and I thought she would be way up the top there.
Anybody got an explanation, I thought they loved her, it can't have been the pork markets that was ages ago?

Back
Top Bottom